Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word is that Kevin Lowe will be dusting off the old jersey #4 and handing it over to Taylor Hall this week. About time Kevin did something right. I am actually somewhat surprised that it took this long for him to make the decision. What do you think? Was it good of Lowe to hand over his number? Or should he have let Taylor pick his own number and make it popular?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Word is that Kevin Lowe will be dusting off the old jersey #4 and handing it over to Taylor Hall this week. About time Kevin did something right. I am actually somewhat surprised that it took this long for him to make the decision. What do you think? Was it good of Lowe to hand over his number? Or should he have let Taylor pick his own number and make it popular?
Unless the number is 99, its just another number.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
If Hall wanted it then that was his decision and if Klowe decided to cooperate then that was his decision.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
It's the right thing to do; it sends the message to everybody that the rebuild is centered around Hall, and this obsession the club has with the past can be relegated to the time in which it belongs, freeing them to look forward.

I think it was the smart thing to do.

Daryl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree it was the right thing to do. The team has to move forward. I love the history and all "the boys on the bus" players, but they have to change that mind set. Even that "Oil change" documentary was a bit too much. I enjoyed the idea and as a hockey fan I loved all the behind the scenes looks, but once Katz got in there and was talking about the boys on the bus again . . .

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I agree it was the right thing to do. The team has to move forward. I love the history and all "the boys on the bus" players, but they have to change that mind set. Even that "Oil change" documentary was a bit too much. I enjoyed the idea and as a hockey fan I loved all the behind the scenes looks, but once Katz got in there and was talking about the boys on the bus again . . .
You're being kind to even refer to it as a "documentary". A commercial, paid for and presented by the Oilers. And that's all fine, but it doesn't change what it was.

Daryl

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that it's a classy thing to do on the behalf of Kevin Lowe. His contribution to Edmonton and to the Oilers will always be appreciated. However, I do believe that Taylor Hall does have the same ability to contribute the same amount as the former player who wore #4.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
slapshot™;601464 said:
AL Hamilton's #3 is retired and he isn't in the HHOF.
Yes, of course. That would be where I said they NOW don't retire a number until a player is inducted in the HOF.

Daryl Shilling:

I suppose it's possible, but the Oilers now don't retire a player's number unless he's inducted to the HHOF, and I certainly don't think he belongs there.
Daryl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts