Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
7/24/2006 11:01:07 AM

Controversial forward Sean Avery is returning to the Los Angeles Kings.

The L.A. Times reported on Monday that Avery agreed to a one-year, $1.1 million contract with the Kings, allowing both sides to avoid arbitration.

Avery got a lot of press last hockey season, but most of it was for the wrong reasons.

Last September, he sounded off on French Canadian hockey players after Phoenix Coyotes defenceman Denis Gauthier leveled Jeremy Roenick with a hard hit in a preseason game.

"I think it was a clean hit," Avery said in September. "I think it was typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not back anything up."

In October, the 26-year old was also accused of making a racial slur to Oilers' forward Georges Laraque, although Avery denied making the comment.

Later on in the year, Avery was fined for diving by the National Hockey League, and he was then fined again after he commented on the original fine.

Avery's season ended with three games remaining after he and Kings assistant coach Mark Hardy had an argument during practice. Avery was sent off the ice and sent home for the rest of the season.

Because of all these events, many expected his tenure with the club to be over.

"This isn't like he's getting a clean slate with a new general manager and a new coach," Kings' first-year general manager Dean Lombardi told the Times. "He's still on double-secret probation."

"I'm excited about returning to the Kings for another year and a chance to play for the great fans in LA," Avery said. "I'm looking forward to getting back to work with my teammates and, through our hard work and determination, having the opportunity to reach my ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup."

Avery had 15 goals and 39 points last season, and he lead the league in penalty minutes for the second straight year with 257.

With files from the L.A. Times

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Phew! I was hoping he's sign elsewhere's so that he wouldn't sign with the Leafs. He's one of the last players in the league that I would EVER want on Toronto.

The whiner can't keep his mouth shut.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Phew! I was hoping he's sign elsewhere's so that he wouldn't sign with the Leafs. He's one of the last players in the league that I would EVER want on Toronto.

The whiner can't keep his mouth shut.
He's suited for L.A., with all the Hollywood hype and everything!!! Just ask J.R. about it!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I definetly wouldn't want him on my hometeam, but definetly love the guy's personality.
I agree, he's a perfect fit in los angeles, and personally...I feel the nhl needs more players with a personality like his.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Amazing what a change in coaches does. A coach with integrity sends Avery packing then Crawford steps in and brings the punk back. I'm glad that Avery isn't playing for my team but I'm sad that he's back in the NHL and not stuck on an island somewhere...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts