Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636622&navid=DL|EDM|home

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent Justin Schultz.

Schultz, who turns 22 in one week, played three seasons in the WCHA with the University of Wisconsin Badgers and in 121 games the 6’2”, 185-pound defenceman recorded 113 points (40G, 73A). He was twice named a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award.

The Kelowna, BC native had 16 goals and 28 assists last season with the Badgers in 37 games earning him a selection to the 2011-12 All-WCHA First Team as well as being named the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year.

Schultz, who was originally drafted by the Anaheim Ducks 43rd overall in 2008, was also a 2010-11 All-WCHA First Team selection and 2010-11 WCHA Defensive Player of the Year. That season he amassed 47 points (18G, 29A) in 41 games. He was the first sophomore to win the Defensive Player of the Year award since its inception in 1992.

Schultz also played two seasons with the Westside Warriors in the BCHL. In 108 games he scored 25 goals and added 66 assists for 91 points.
I'm not a fan of how he went about his departure from Anaheim, but Schultz is a good pick up for the Oilers, and for a rookie defenseman that (most likely) has an entry level contract with maximum bonuses, Edmonton is probably one of the best locations to play in to earn those bonuses due to the holes in the roster currently. He'll get a bunch of ice time and pile up power play points.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I don't feel that badly for the ducks, I'm sure they didn't lose any sleep after getting pronger from the Oil after he asked to be moved.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Is he going to be as good as all the hype? I admit I've never heard of him before a couple days ago and it almost sounds like a similar situation to that of Fabian Bruunstrom a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Even if it doesn't work out, he can still help the Oilers on their quest for a fourth straight #1 overall pick.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of Schultz, this article was posted on Yahoo yesterday by Wyshynski. Just a nice recap of the situation and some discussion if the loophole will be closed in the next CBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/justin-schultz-saga-cba-flaws-overhype-rookie-diva-142853870--nhl.html

I don't feel that badly for the ducks, I'm sure they didn't lose any sleep after getting pronger from the Oil after he asked to be moved.
Really wasn't expecting fans of the Oilers to feel badly about it. Just looking at it impartially, it sucks to lose a promising prospect. I didn't like it when Jason Gregoire and Blake Kessel pulled the move on the Islanders last year either.

Is he going to be as good as all the hype? I admit I've never heard of him before a couple days ago and it almost sounds like a similar situation to that of Fabian Bruunstrom a few years ago.
Schultz might not be as good as the hype (the "OMG! HE'S ALREADY A NUMBER ONE DEFENSEMAN IN THE NHL" hype), but given that he's 22, he's got really good odds at carving out a top four role in the NHL for a long time. He's not a Matt Gilroy who really had one offensive season in the NCAA where it raised everybody's eyebrows, Schultz' was probably the most dominant NCAA defenseman for the last two years.

If anyone's the most similar to Brunnstrom, it's probably Swiss star Damien Brunner - who apparently signed with the Red Wings weeks ago, but they're waiting to make it official due to contract limits and should be announced early today.

We'll see how both pan out, but I have more faith in Schultz.

Even if it doesn't work out, he can still help the Oilers on their quest for a fourth straight #1 overall pick.:biggrin:
That's true! One thing to keep in mind is that the Oilers didn't have to give up an asset (such as Paajarvi) to pick up a 22 year old defenseman who's NCAA game fits the Oilers moving forward really well. Smart risk by the Oilers regardless of if he pans out or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts