1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November 19, 2003
AT DETROIT

Blue Jackets 1, Red Wings 5

The Wings went into this game, the first of a back-to-back, home-and-home series, against the Columbus Blue Jackets resembling a M*A*S*H unit. Wing Captain Steve Yzerman keeps chugging along after his reconstructive knee surgery, but #1 goalie Dominik Hasek is out after reaggravating his groin injury ... teammates Darren McCarty and ex-Jacket Ray Whitney joined Dom on the injured list. Manny Legace got the start in goal for the Wings.

Nonetheless, the Wings held up well without the injured players and smacked the Jackets 5-1.

At 4:09 of the first period, Kris Draper scored to put the Wings on the board. After Grind Line teammate Kirk Maltby fired in a long shot, Draper pounced on the rebound and knocked it behind Jackets goalie Marc Denis. Little more than two minutes later, Brett Hull increased the Wings' lead to 2-0 on a wicked one-timer from Pavel Datsyuk ... and increased his goal total against the Jackets to 9 goals in 16 games. Wow! The Jackets outshot the Wings 18-11 in the first period, but the scoreboard said "Advantage, Wings". :D

The Wings continued the onslaught in the second period, with two more goals. Tomas Holmstrom scored his 5th goal of the season, knocking in a rebound by Yzerman. Less than 3 minutes later, Brett Hull followed with his second goal of the game. The Wings also dominated this period with shots on goal, outshooting the Jackets 19-6. Denis clearly became frustrated later in the period, with some stickwork on whatever Wings he could get to close to the crease. It was a rather good Ed Belfour impersonation, if I do say so myself ... :wink: :lol:

The Jackets, who outshot the Wings 14-12 in the third period, got on the board early in the third period to prevent a Wings shutout, on a goal by Geoff Sanderson. After notching a goal, the Jackets came close to scoring another goal soon after, but Legace was there to make the save. Steve Thomas put this game on ice midway through the third period with his second goal in a Wings uniform ... and as Mickey Redmond would say, "That was all she wrote.".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be an interesting rematch, Chet ... I'm looking forward to it. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, slapshot! :)

Unfortunately, because both the Wings and Oilers are playing tonight (Darn schedulemakers :lol: ... they're evil, eeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiillllll :twisted: ), I probably won't be writing one for tonight's Wings and Oilers games ... but the next time that either team is playing (but not both), I'll post another one ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Chet ... :)

4 minutes 'till GAME TIME!! 8) :D

Yikes ... maybe I'd better switch to decaf ... :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those Jackets are at it again, leading the Oilers 2-1. THey've been on a roll lately ...

As for the Wings ... once again, we've lost to a team that, at least on paper, we should not lose to. The games that the Caps score more than two goals in can probably be counted on one hand, but they scored 3 goals in one period against the Wings. :?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts