1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's your time young men

Greater expectations for Steen, Wellwood, Stajan
By TERRY KOSHAN -- Toronto Sun

When the Maple Leafs began training camp a year ago, Kyle Wellwood gave a frank statement to reporters: He did not think he stood much of a chance to make the team.

Wellwood was right. He did not crack the club out of camp, but was recalled from the Toronto Marlies after Mats Sundin was hurt in the season opener and did not miss another game.

EVERYDAY PLAYER

Wellwood wound up with 11 goals and 34 assists in 81 games and proved he could be an everyday NHL player. Now, however, he does not think that is good enough.

"I am expecting a lot of things -- to produce a lot, become a key member of the team and hopefully establish myself as a player to pay attention to out there," the 23-year-old Wellwood said. "I am lot more confident. Last year we had so many long-term veterans, players that required ice time and other things where you did not want to step on their toes.

"This year I really have the opportunity to move in and be a good player."
CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Hockey NHL - Toronto: It's your time young men

Stajan, Steen, and Wellwood: Do us proud. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Yeah, it kinda sucks that we don't have a Staal or Kessel to groom but I think Steen could be our next great impact player.

The Buds will need a lot from these guys if they are to even get near the playoffs this season.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... here it is. Mats Sundin is out of the line-up for a month.

A big hole to fill, seeing as he is by far the team's best forward.

Too big of a hole to fill for Kyle Wellwood (who's been a little off in the last game), Matt Stajan (who's been having a career year so far) and especially Alexander Steen (who's, although not playing poorly, has been struggling for the Leafs when it comes to offence).

Most of all, Steen has to step up.

Future Leaf Captain: This is it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts