Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
7/11/2006 9:04:58 AM

NEW YORK (CP) - The New York Islanders have signed veteran winger Chris Simon to a $1-million US, one-year deal.

Simon, 34, recorded eight goals and 14 assists with 94 penalty minutes in 72 games with the Calgary Flames last season while earning $1.216 million.

"Chris brings so much experience and so many intangibles to the Islanders," general manager Neil Smith said Tuesday in a statement. "He's been one of the game's most respected leaders and effective role players for more than a decade. As he proved in Calgary by averaging around 12 minutes a game, he still has plenty of hockey left in him."

Simon has 133 goals, 142 assists and 1,690 penalty minutes in 677 career games with Quebec/Colorado, Washington, Chicago, the New York Rangers and Calgary. He won a Stanley Cup with Avalanche in 1996.

As a member of the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in 1991-92, Simon was coached by Ted Nolan, who recently took over as head coach of the Islanders.

"I was extremely interested in coming to the Islanders and I'm very happy things worked out," said Simon. "I've known Ted for a long time and I'm so excited about having him as my coach again."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts