Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously I see women like Wickenheiser who played "Men" pro in Finland choosing to sport the face shield and playing full contacts, there's some of women's leagues here in Canada where it's also full contact but anything International and other elite women's level where full contact is banned and full cage are mandatory.

The only logical argument I can think of is that the other nations don't want it because Canada is dominant enough as it is that if full contact was allowed there's no way Canada would lose a game.

Or is it that many of the leading figures in the building of women's hockey still just treat it as a novelty act? It's probly the only sport that I like the women's division just as much as the men's and I have a feeling most of Canada's just the same (just as long as it's hockey) and I refuse to believe that the athletes are the ones not wanting full contact and non mandatory cages.

Or are idiots like UFC's Dana White still running things? Where only the UFC don't have a women's division since White assumes that no one wants to see women battle.

PS. When I say Canada I incorporate states such as Minnesota of course :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Maybe its just that we are still in a male dominated society that, while giving women the oportunity to compete, still wants them to be "graceful" and free from nicks and cuts to their face. Because lets face it, if Danica Patrick looked like she had been in a wrestling match with Freddy Kreuger she wouldnt sell. Its the sad truth in todays society. A majority of top level female athletes have two things in common. The athletic ability and the good looks. ie. Mia Hamm, Cammi Granato, Maria Sharapova, Jennie Finch etc..etc... And in most cases well, you get Anna Kournikova....

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The first two women's hockey championships were full contact I believe (could be the first three but something in my memory is saying it didn't go that long). But the games were very lopsided when you take the larger Canadian and American squads and put them up against the Japanese, Chinese and Korean national teams. At a IIHF meeting they turned senior women's hockey into a non-contact sport.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
The first two women's hockey championships were full contact I believe (could be the first three but something in my memory is saying it didn't go that long). But the games were very lopsided when you take the larger Canadian and American squads and put them up against the Japanese, Chinese and Korean national teams. At a IIHF meeting they turned senior women's hockey into a non-contact sport.
I believe it was the 1990 World Championships in which body checking was allowed, and the games were lopsided with the hitting involved: the US and Canada steamrolled the other clubs badly.

It was right after that event that checking was outlawed in women's hockey.

Daryl

·
Registered
21 Posts
I believe it was the 1990 World Championships in which body checking was allowed, and the games were lopsided with the hitting involved: the US and Canada steamrolled the other clubs badly.

It was right after that event that checking was outlawed in women's hockey.

Daryl
Are you trying to imply the the women's games are not somewhat lopsided since then . . . ? :dunno: The last couple of years IIHF championship had quite a few 7+ goal spreads, although admittingly the score differentials are decreasing.
Women's hockey will never develop to permit body checking again. Hockey Canada is sold on the "purity of the game" of women's hockey when compared to the full contact game. Even though on many boards and discussions concerning women's hockey, a great many of the female players do admit that they would like to see bodychecking implimented.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Are you trying to imply the the women's games are not somewhat lopsided since then . . . ? :dunno: The last couple of years IIHF championship had quite a few 7+ goal spreads, although admittingly the score differentials are decreasing.
Women's hockey will never develop to permit body checking again. Hockey Canada is sold on the "purity of the game" of women's hockey when compared to the full contact game. Even though on many boards and discussions concerning women's hockey, a great many of the female players do admit that they would like to see bodychecking implimented.
:thumbsup:
No, I'm saying that the North American teams were killing the other girls out there, physically as well as the final score.

Now, it's just the wins and losses where the other teams are uncompetitive.

Daryl​

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts

No, I'm saying that the North American teams were killing the other girls out there, physically as well as the final score.

Now, it's just the wins and losses where the other teams are uncompetitive.

Daryl​
So, basically, what you're saying is they were uncompetitive when there was hitting, so take that out. Now, they're still uncompetitive without the hitting. So, to make the other teams competitive, we're going to have to see the higher ranked teams giving points away, kind of like the spread with a bookie?

One things for sure, I couldn't care less if guys are out there with snaggle teeth, missing teeth, twisted noses, etc...but I don't want my ladies' faces all messed up. I don't mind if they wear the full cages, but I know there are girls out there with the gumption to be playing full contact.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
So, basically, what you're saying is they were uncompetitive when there was hitting, so take that out. Now, they're still uncompetitive without the hitting. So, to make the other teams competitive, we're going to have to see the higher ranked teams giving points away, kind of like the spread with a bookie?

One things for sure, I couldn't care less if guys are out there with snaggle teeth, missing teeth, twisted noses, etc...but I don't want my ladies' faces all messed up. I don't mind if they wear the full cages, but I know there are girls out there with the gumption to be playing full contact.
Yes, it's still uncompetitive, just not as bad as it was when the hitting was allowed. I'm not arguing that it was the right (or wrong) decision. I'm just saying what the decision was.

For my part, I'm fine with them allowing checking in women's hockey. It IS hockey, after all.

Daryl​

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts

Yes, it's still uncompetitive, just not as bad as it was when the hitting was allowed. I'm not arguing that it was the right (or wrong) decision. I'm just saying what the decision was.

For my part, I'm fine with them allowing checking in women's hockey. It IS hockey, after all.

Daryl​
I agree, and I apologize, my tone/sarcasm wasn't expressed well enough in my post. I was just commenting about how it wasn't competitive before and it's still not competitive now, maybe it has less to do with physical contact than it does actual skill/talent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just browsing stuff from before I joined

I don't think "body checking" is needed in the women's game at all.. There tends to be MUCH more size difference among the players than in the men's game..and I firmly believe that actual body-checking would mean a lot more injuries in the game.

The levels LEADING to national teams, whether it's U14's, high school, or NCAA hockey won't allow body-checking in our (I'm only 34) lifetime so having it at the world level wouldn't work out that well either.

The people who are most for the body-checking always seem to be those who have never watched top American college teams play because there is plenty of contact and physical play already without players trying to embed each other into the boards.

Honestly between all of the high school and college games I watch of both genders, the game isn't *THAT* much different, other than the speed of the guy's game vs the girl's game.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Just browsing stuff from before I joined

I don't think "body checking" is needed in the women's game at all.. There tends to be MUCH more size difference among the players than in the men's game..and I firmly believe that actual body-checking would mean a lot more injuries in the game.

The levels LEADING to national teams, whether it's U14's, high school, or NCAA hockey won't allow body-checking in our (I'm only 34) lifetime so having it at the world level wouldn't work out that well either.

The people who are most for the body-checking always seem to be those who have never watched top American college teams play because there is plenty of contact and physical play already without players trying to embed each other into the boards.

Honestly between all of the high school and college games I watch of both genders, the game isn't *THAT* much different, other than the speed of the guy's game vs the girl's game.
great post. This pretty much sums it up. While at an elite level (not in International competitions) such as the PWHL, WWHL...etc I'd like to eventually see it implemented as it as a whole other dynamic to the game. Playing hockey without body checking is so much different than with it in.

But I still enjoy watching it regardless of how they play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts