Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting move by the Penguins bringingup Eric Tangradi for last nights game against the Rangers. Interesting because there were no injuries to fill in for, and the Penguins are playing well(I've written off the Sabre game). But being that we are within a week of the trade deadline, have the Penguins finally given up on Tangradi, and are dangling him out there for trade.

He hasn't seemed to fit into the role with the Penguins of the power forward, maybe he could bring a few draft picks.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be very surprised if the Pens don't make some kind of trade like trade Johnson for a better back up goalie or maybe get someone that can shoot the puck.
True that Johnson has been shaky this year, and that's putting it mildly, but I'm not sure I'd spend my time at the deadline on a backup goalie.

Its decisions time. Is Crosby coming back, if not, then put him on LTIR and use the cap space for a rental for the rest of the year. The Pens have prospects a plenty, Tangradi is one. If Tangradi cannot get into this lineup over craig adams, tyler kennedy, aaron asham . . . then its time to go. He's a restricted free agent next year, if you don't think he's going to make it, move on.

Its also a time to look to the future of the team. The Pens have several NHL caliber defensemen in the wings. Look at the way that Simon Despres played when he got the chance this year. A great offensive minded puck moving defensemen. He may be ready next year to work in the NHL. Paul Martin, your $5M/year cap hit is like an albatrose at the moment with the way that you are playing. Think what you may be able to get for him, and the money you would free up. The great martin/michelek pairing is not working this year, and they've played their best lately with other partners. Free the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts