Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SHELBY TOWNSHIP — As crews put the finishing touches to Dino Ciccarelli's new dance club, the former NHL star sits at a desk in the building doing paperwork.

Ciccarelli, 46, is at peace with himself. He's a father of three daughters (ages 21, 18 and 16) and is excited about the future.

"This is going to be something that's a lot of fun,” Ciccarelli said of his '70s-'80s-’90s music club. "I’ve always loved music, especially during my career because I was the guy that always was Mr. DJ in the locker room.”

The way Ciccarelli approaches this business venture is similar to how he’s handled the disappointment of falling votes short for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame the last four years, most recently last month. He doesn’t use his status for favors or handouts.

“I’ve learned to not get too excited about it (Hall of Fame voting),” Ciccarelli said. “It’s not for me to say who should get in and who should not. It’s out of my hands.”

In a 19-season NHL career, including four with the Red Wings (1992-96), Ciccarelli scored 608 goals. Ciccarelli is the only eligible 600-goal scorer not in the Hall.

Ciccarelli’s situation begs several questions about sports halls of fame in general.

What makes a hall of famer?

Are there “magic” career numbers that equate to automatic enshrinement — 300 wins, 3,000 hits, 600 goals?

Should a player’s personality and character be taken into consideration?

What about whether a player’s team won championships, of if he played in a media spotlight?

The National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., will induct its newest members Sunday. This year’s class includes Bruce Sutter, who revolutionized the split-fingered fastball and became one of the game’s top relief pitchers in the 1980s.

But, as has been the case since the early ’90s, a player not in the Hall of Fame will get as much attention. Pete Rose, baseball’s hit leader, remains banned from the game.

Even if Rose is ever reinstated, he might never have enough support among Hall of Fame voters to earn enshrinement.

Sammy Sosa (588 home runs), Mark McGwire (583 homers) and Rafael Palmeiro (569 homers and 3,020 hits) all have the gaudy stats to be Hall of Famers, but their reputations have been sullied by allegations of steroid use.

And don’t forget the case of Detroit’s favorite double-play combination — Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker. Neither has been voted into the Hall despite statistics comparable to some who have been.

The reality is that Hall of Fame selection is subjective.
hmm anyone have any thoughts? I think he may be considered.. but i dont know, i could more or less see stevie Y in before him.. and im Sure Yzerman will be inducted in 2009.:D the captain deserves that much! for what hes done for the game and the league.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts