Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Hockey News
1/26/2007 2:13:48 PM

The NHL's All-Star Game is gone until next season, but International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel is angling to put on a different battle of the stars: The Stanley Cup champion vs. the best team in Europe.

''We must have a club championship - the winner of the Stanley Cup against the winner of the European Hockey League,'' Fasel told The Hockey News in an interview with Paul Romanuk. ''It is a must for the NHL and it is a must for us. It is a must for the hockey fans and for the game of hockey. Hockey needs it on both sides.''

According to Fasel, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman hasn't rejected the IIHF's overture.

''They are not against it,'' Fasel said. ''It was not a 'no' from Gary.''

Bill Daly, the NHL's deputy commissioner, confirmed discussions have taken place between the league and IIHF. But he cautioned against expectations that an announcement of such a game is imminent.

''While we are open to exploring a host of ways to co-operate and grow the game internationally, there are naturally many logistical issues that would need to be worked through to move forward with such an exhibition, not the least of which is the timing,'' Daly said Friday in an e-mail response to questions from The Hockey News. ''I expect we will have further discussions on the concept, but (it is) premature to suggest it is something that will definitely happen in the future.''

Daly also said expanding the league's international footprint is ''a key element of our business and strategic plans moving forward, and we are currently working on a number of initiatives in that regard.

''Obviously, we're looking to maximize the distribution of our television games internationally, and we're working with our international broadcast partner NASN (North American Sports Network) on that as well as the potential streaming of a package of games internationally over the internet,'' Daly wrote. ''I can't be more specific at this point in time, but I would also expect us to be in a position to discuss publicly at least one other major international initiative in the next several weeks.''

FULL STORY

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I always thought it'd be a cool idea to have a champions cup with the top two teams from the NHL and the winners from all the other top leagues competeting in a soccer style supercup.

But the NHL season is so long there's not much chance of that happening.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Look at that.

All Shined up and ready to go. :D

As for the competition: Well, I'm not against it. I guess it's a matter of how the players feel after the long grueling battle to the end. Will they have enough left for one last game? :dunno:

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's not a bad idea, but the european teams feed nhl teams with players, most of the time. I think it could end up to be an uneven match, cause the NHL is the top league in the world. It would be something different if it was like soccer in europe, where every nation has their own soccer league and it's basically quite equivalent, so they have a champions league to determine the best of all the clubs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:laugh: It's cool, but I think the minor leagues should compete too, cuz there's only like a few leagues that are ACTUALLY competative. I feel terrible for the players tho. They already have a handful of games to play without the championship. Plus, it wouldn't be as fun as the soccer championships cuz there's not much variety in play between the teams. Now if an ASIAN league came in that would be different lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts