Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

IIHF President backs Doan, Hockey Canada

IIHF President René Fasel expressed his profound disappointment over the Canadian Parliament's interference with Hockey Canada's choice of Shane Doan as captain of the Canadian national team at the 2007 IIHF World Championship in Moscow. "It is totally unacceptable that politicians should interfere with things like the selection of a national team's captain," said Fasel.

A committee of the Canadian Parliament has summoned Hockey Canada officials to explain their choice of Doan. At issue is an alleged derogatory remark by Doan toward a French-Canadian referee during a game in 2005. The Phoenix Coyotes forward has denied making a slur and was cleared by the NHL--but almost two years later, a linesman still maintains Doan shouted a racial slur towards him.

On Tuesday, all political parties supported a Bloc Quebecois motion demanding that officials from Hockey Canada and Sport Canada appear before the House of Commons' Official Languages Committee.

The IIHF President reacted very strongly when he was informed about the Parliament’s interference and that Hockey Canada officials, led by President Bob Nicholson, had to appear in front of the committee to explain and defend the choice of Shane Doan as captain.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm very glad to hear this!!!

Now get on with the job at hand, play hockey and bring home the hardware!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shady82 said:
yeah, now the government should give each Canadian citizen $100 for wasting our time and money. morons.
Wouldn't that be great!! :laugh:

They could at least drop the GST!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I thought it was supposed to go down to 5% here soon?
I should be Prime Minister. how hard can it be, I can discuss things nobody cares about and the things people do care about just leave on the back burner. who cares, i'd just be in it for the money right?
I know the Conservatives didn't start this whole stupid hockey situation but they sure did jump on board to try to impress Quebec.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shady82 said:
I thought it was supposed to go down to 5% here soon?
I should be Prime Minister. how hard can it be, I can discuss things nobody cares about and the things people do care about just leave on the back burner. who cares, i'd just be in it for the money right?
I know the Conservatives didn't start this whole stupid hockey situation but they sure did jump on board to try to impress Quebec.
Who knows when they are dropping it down again? I wish they would just get rid of it all together!!!

I'm sure you would be a GREAT PM, can't be any worse anyway!! :laugh:

Yes, anything to impress Quebec, I wish some of these politicians would grow some you know whats, and stop giving them everything they want!!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
panoo said:
Who knows when they are dropping it down again? I wish they would just get rid of it all together!!!

I'm sure you would be a GREAT PM, can't be any worse anyway!! :laugh:

Yes, anything to impress Quebec, I wish some of these politicians would grow some you know whats, and stop giving them everything they want!!!
Agreed 100% :) :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts