Hockey Fan Forums banner

Iginla key in bringing Bertuzzi to Calgary

1564 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Davey Domenichelli
There had always been a mutual respect between the two players, often combatants on the ice. And that made it quite easy for Jarome Iginla, the Calgary Flames captain to help persuade Todd Bertuzzi to come to Calgary....more

Hey if Iggy wants this guy to play with us, It's ok with me

It will be interesting who Bert will play with most of next season, my guess is Lombo if he gets more time on the 2nd line this year.

Can't wait for the new season to start! :beer
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Bert-Langcow-Iggy would be a hard-nosed scoring line for sure.
I've lost alot of respect for Iggy over this. I honestly would rather have any player in the NHL rather than Bertuzzi. If keeping Godard would have kept Bertuzzi away, I would have done it.
I've lost alot of respect for Iggy over this. I honestly would rather have any player in the NHL rather than Bertuzzi. If keeping Godard would have kept Bertuzzi away, I would have done it.
While I havent lost too much respect for Iginla (I mean, he is doing what he thinks is best for his club), I still hate Bertuzzi and think he shouldnt be playing in the NHL right.
Personal thoughts aside, I think the move is a great one from a hockey perspective. $1.95 mil is nothing compared to some of the outrageous contracts being thrown out at low-end to mediocre players. I actually think Bertuzzi wants to help the Flames and I think he will. He could have easily just signed with some team down south where he could just play hockey and nobody bother him or even know who he is. But he chose to sign in a Canadian market that lives and breathes hockey 12 months a year. He is showing signs that he wants to be back on top of his game and I hope he can do it with Calgary.

Do I agree with Bertuzzis' actions of a few years ago? Not necessarily. But I do think it was a good risk at a low price to bring him into Calgary.
kinda like this move. I think Bert still has some gas left in the tank. It says hes in better shape now and I think he'll work extra hard aloneside iggy.
I actually have even MORE respect for Iggy then I did previously; he not only recognized an opportunity to improve his team, he showed some real leadership by speaking up. Also, he shows a lot of character where "forgiving and forgetting" is concerned.

Some people will never let Bertuzzi's past slide, however I am very happy to see someone like Iggy and the Flames step up like this. They stand to face some criticism but I for one am reluctantly becoming a fan of this organizations overall approach to things.

....er...Go Flames....okay, that felt weird. :laugh::laugh:

RB
Judging by the reaction I'm getting, I think I should clarify. While I do think that what Bertuzzi did was wrong, that's not necessarily what I was referring to. It was the lies afterwards that got me mad. Bertuzzi would say things like "I never meant to hurt him". I'm sorry, when you threaten a player, then sucker punch him from behind, you are trying to hurt him. Maybe you're not trying to hurt him badly enogh to get into trouble, but you are trying to hurt him.
And if Iggy thinks that this guy can help the Flames, he's going to be very surprised. Because it's not just the unsportsmanlike play and lies. Every time Bertuzzi sets foot on Saddledome ice, he gets booed. The only current player I've seen who gets that treatment is Bertuzzi's former teamate Chris Pronger. Sure, there are people who like bertuzzi's style of play, and that's great. But people have a tendency to focus on the negative, so "boo" will always be louder than "way to go!". I don't see Bertuzzi lasting to next season. But, if he stays with the Flames long term, then I'll admit that I was wrong.
See less See more
Judging by the reaction I'm getting, I think I should clarify. While I do think that what Bertuzzi did was wrong, that's not necessarily what I was referring to. It was the lies afterwards that got me mad. Bertuzzi would say things like "I never meant to hurt him". I'm sorry, when you threaten a player, then sucker punch him from behind, you are trying to hurt him. Maybe you're not trying to hurt him badly enogh to get into trouble, but you are trying to hurt him.
And if Iggy thinks that this guy can help the Flames, he's going to be very surprised. Because it's not just the unsportsmanlike play and lies. Every time Bertuzzi sets foot on Saddledome ice, he gets booed. The only current player I've seen who gets that treatment is Bertuzzi's former teamate Chris Pronger. Sure, there are people who like bertuzzi's style of play, and that's great. But people have a tendency to focus on the negative, so "boo" will always be louder than "way to go!". I don't see Bertuzzi lasting to next season. But, if he stays with the Flames long term, then I'll admit that I was wrong.
So because he lied and gets booed means he can't play good hockey? I think your underrating what Bertuzzi can bring to the ice if he can once again find his game. Even if he can play at half the level he could 4 years ago, he'll still be a decent asset.

If you want another example of a player who gets booed, look no further then the Calgary Flames Dion Phaneuf. He is starting to get booed in many arenas already at such a young age. I think Dion actually thrives off of it, which he should because people boo him for basically being good at what he does. I realize Bertuzzi won't thrive off the boos because he is being booed from his cheap shot actions, but that doesn't mean the boos will make any worse a player.
So because he lied and gets booed means he can't play good hockey? I think your underrating what Bertuzzi can bring to the ice if he can once again find his game. Even if he can play at half the level he could 4 years ago, he'll still be a decent asset.

If you want another example of a player who gets booed, look no further then the Calgary Flames Dion Phaneuf. He is starting to get booed in many arenas already at such a young age. I think Dion actually thrives off of it, which he should because people boo him for basically being good at what he does. I realize Bertuzzi won't thrive off the boos because he is being booed from his cheap shot actions, but that doesn't mean the boos will make any worse a player.
The lying is a question of character. If character is so important in a hockey player, why isn't anyone questioning Bertuzzi's character.

And I'm not questioning Bertuzzi's talent, I know that players can perform at a high level while being booed, but phaneuf thrives off boos in other arenas. Bertuzzi runs the risk of being booed in his own arena. Like I said, I may be wrong, but I don't think he'll be here long.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.