Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
8/14/2006 2:34:35 PM

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Season-ticket sales for the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes are up about 60 per cent over last year, general manager Jim Rutherford said Monday.

The boost may help relieve worries about whether the team can succeed in a small market where college basketball is king.

''I think it's really special to this market because we're relatively new here, we're continuing to try and grow the sport,'' Rutherford said. ''You really can't explain to people what the Stanley Cup playoffs are about. You really have to be there in person.''

Rutherford said the increase includes a combination of both full- and partial-season ticket sales, but declined to elaborate because ticket-sale numbers were not immediately available.

He said playing for two Stanley Cups in four years and winning one has given the Hurricanes a stamp of legitimacy. Carolina in 2002 reached the Cup finals, where the Hurricanes lost to the Detroit Red Wings.

''It's the ultimate goal in hockey, it's the prize that everybody works for and I don't think it matters where you win it - it means a lot to that market,'' Rutherford said.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
60%?!!!:eek:

Way to turn on the fanbase if you ask me. I expected an increase, but 60% is huge, not matter how you cut it.

Jim Rutherford said:
''I think it's really special to this market because we're relatively new here, we're continuing to try and grow the sport. ''You really can't explain to people what the Stanley Cup playoffs are about. You really have to be there in person.''
That doesn't make much sense to me. If they're trying to grow the fanbase and create a solid foundation in Carolina, then I don't think that they shouldn't be boosting tickets up that high... at least, not so fast. You'd think something like the team's ticket prices would be moving up gradually.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
60%?!!!:eek:

Way to turn on the fanbase if you ask me. I expected an increase, but 60% is huge, not matter how you cut it.

That doesn't make much sense to me. If they're trying to grow the fanbase and create a solid foundation in Carolina, then I don't think that they shouldn't be boosting tickets up that high... at least, not so fast. You'd think something like the team's ticket prices would be moving up gradually.
It's the quantity of season tickets that went up by 60%, not the price, at least that's how I read it!

Maybe I'm wrong :confused:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
panoo2004 said:
It's the quantity of season tickets that went up by 60%, not the price, at least that's how I read it!

Maybe I'm wrong :confused:
LOL! :laugh: Oh, Sorry about that.:p

That's great news. 60%? That's huge. Good to hear. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts