Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaberle is out for 4 weeks. He is also one of the big names on the trade block these days, so what will his injury do to the current trade market?

Does the talk and value of Bouwmeester heat up now that there is one less puck moving defensman immediately avaiable?

Will teams put off making a deal until they see how Kaberle comes back?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I assume that his broken hand will heal normally and that it will not affect his trade value in any significant way. Teams who are interested would have been following his play for a while and know what he is capable of.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume that his broken hand will heal normally and that it will not affect his trade value in any significant way. Teams who are interested would have been following his play for a while and know what he is capable of.
I am not talking about his own trade value, but what it does to the rest of the market.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am not talking about his own trade value, but what it does to the rest of the market.
Ah, I see. It helps if I read.

I still don't seeing it affecting the market at all. The trade deadline is Mar 4 and he could come back as soon as three weeks. Seeing as most trades are done at the deadline in theory he could have been playing for a week or so already making his injury a non-factor.

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
The problem with your Bouwmeester twist is that is assuming that Florida will once again be out of the playoffs, and from what I have seen Florida is showing no signs of folding in this stretch run, it is a very sticky situation with him, if they are clearly in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline do they ship him off to say another playoff bound team that needs a puck moving defenceman? ruining what team chemistry they have right now?

Or do they risk losing him, come Jul 1st and have nothing in return, which is worse imho.

As for Kaberle? everyone knows that are going to be sellers at the trade deadline, and there is no doubting Kaberle's impact to a team. So no, I don't think it screws up anybody's plan.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with your Bouwmeester twist is that is assuming that Florida will once again be out of the playoffs, and from what I have seen Florida is showing no signs of folding in this stretch run, it is a very sticky situation with him, if they are clearly in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline do they ship him off to say another playoff bound team that needs a puck moving defenceman? ruining what team chemistry they have right now?

Or do they risk losing him, come Jul 1st and have nothing in return, which is worse imho.

As for Kaberle, everyone knows that are going to be sellers at the trade deadline, and there is no doubting Kaberle's impact to a team. So no, I don't think it screws up anybody's plan.
What about teams that need or want to move now?

Kabby is out for 4 weeks now and some teams just can't wait that long.

As for Bouwmeester, I can't see FLA letting another assets go for nothing like they basically did with Luongo. I do agree with your point about being in a playoff hunt. If they were out by a long shot then making a deal would be easy decision.

The ironic part is that a deal around Kaberle for Bouwmeester would be exactly the kind of deal FLA would have to make, to replace Bouwmeester and still show their fans they are going for the playoffs. Then there is the whole McCabe - Kaberle connection. They both played their best hockey when playing together. As a Leafer, a Bouwmeester - Schenn pairing would have me drooling.

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
What about teams that need or want to move now?

Kabby is out for 4 weeks now and some teams just can't wait that long.

As for Bouwmeester, I can't see FLA letting another assets go for nothing like they basically did with Luongo. I do agree with your point about being in a playoff hunt. If they were out by a long shot then making a deal would be easy decision.

The ironic part is that a deal around Kaberle for Bouwmeester would be exactly the kind of deal FLA would have to make, to replace Bouwmeester and still show their fans they are going for the playoffs. Then there is the whole McCabe - Kaberle connection. They both played their best hockey when playing together. As a Leafer, a Bouwmeester - Schenn pairing would have me drooling.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Karberle for Bouwmeester.?

Karberle is a night mare for the Leaf in the defensive zone period.!!

Karberle isn't even in the same league as Boumeester so i'm not sure why you'd think Karberle and his injury would effect where Boumeester go's or what other teams are willing to part with to accuire him.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Karberle for Bouwmeester.?

Karberle is a night mare for the Leaf in the defensive zone period.!!

Karberle isn't even in the same league as Boumeester so i'm not sure why you'd think Karberle and his injury would effect where Boumeester go's or what other teams are willing to part with to accuire him.
:n
IF you actually read what was written, I said a deal around Kaberle for Bouwmeester. The Leafs would have to throw in more for sure. Nightmare is a bit of a stretch. For years Kaberle has been a steady force in his own end. This year is an anomoly in terms of his overall performance.

So having the #2(or 3 if the Pronger rumours are true) D-man available, go off the market for atleast 4 weeks has no bearing on the #1 D-man available?

So any teams that were thinking of adding Kaberle to help get into the playoffs won't now look at Bouwmeester?

There are several bubble teams that cannot wait until there are only 5 weeks left in the season to make a move.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I wouldn't trade Kaberle for Bouwmeester straight up. Bouwmeester is ridiculously overrated. Nobody can carry the puck with such confidence and security like Kaberle. Has Tomas been at his best defensively? Probably not, but look at the team he's playing with, you can't expect him to do all that much.

As Howard Berger mentioned in one of his recent articles, Brian Burke won't be foolish enough to give some sort of discount because of this injury. Kaberle will cost at least a blue chip prospect and a first round draft pick, and this injury does not change that. If teams do not want to pay that, the Leafs can keep him, he's the type of guy you can build around.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't trade Kaberle for Bouwmeester straight up. Bouwmeester is ridiculously overrated. Nobody can carry the puck with such confidence and security like Kaberle. Has Tomas been at his best defensively? Probably not, but look at the team he's playing with, you can't expect him to do all that much.

As Howard Berger mentioned in one of his recent articles, Brian Burke won't be foolish enough to give some sort of discount because of this injury. Kaberle will cost at least a blue chip prospect and a first round draft pick, and this injury does not change that. If teams do not want to pay that, the Leafs can keep him, he's the type of guy you can build around.
Burke has already made it known that he wouldn't mind keeping Kaberle. His contract is great.

You are bang on in his value imo. I also think his value is that of roughly two 1st round picks. There are some interesting young assets scattered around on some contending teams. It would be nice to land one or two in Toronto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts