Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a question from me than a trivia question..but..
Did anyone every die in a hockey game from an injury? I was watching something on ESPN about a goalie that almost died from a skate to the neck, but I've never heard of anyone actually dying in a game.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I can't remember anyone dying during an NHL game but there have been some deaths that I can remember. There was a 17 year old kid that just collapsed during an exhibition game, also there was an ex Leaf who died during a charity game when he stepped on an puck, fell and hit his head off the ice during the pre game warm-up. Then there was a South Korean player that died when he was hit in the chest with a puck. That's all I can remember hearing about, there may be more

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't think anyone has actually died on the ice, but Bill Masterson died a few days after hitting his head on the ice during a game against the Seals. Of course, he has a trophy named after him, awarded to "the player that best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey".

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Rune26 said:
Did anyone every die in a hockey game from an injury? I was watching something on ESPN about a goalie that almost died from a skate to the neck, but I've never heard of anyone actually dying in a game.
The goalies name is Clint Malarchuk. He played for Washington. I know someone died from a puck to the throat. Thats what got the neckgaurds going in minor hockey. I dont know if the throat one was in the NHL though.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
big_e said:
Rune26 said:
The goalies name is Clint Malarchuk. He played for Washington. I know someone died from a puck to the throat. Thats what got the neckgaurds going in minor hockey. I dont know if the throat one was in the NHL though.
Yeah i remember hearing about that somewhere too.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Montreal_Goalie39 said:
Wow how can you guys not remember this guy

Howie Morenz
Died from complications of a broken leg suffered during a hockey game.
Morenz died of a heart attack, and the only thing THAT was a complication of was the constant drinking that he and teammates spent all the month doing following his injury.

Daryl

·
Registered
1 Posts
I played in an informal high school level game during which a player had his neck cut and he died on the ice. It was 1975 in Boston. You won't find an account of it , or at least I couldn't, because I believe this tragedy was just too much for the young man's family. As far as I know there are no memorial games or such remembrances because they wish to remember their boy privately. I could easily be wrong about this, but this was the feeling I got over the years. The simple facts are that two players collided awkwardly and got tangled up.There was a skate cut to the boy's neck and he bled out at center ice.There was only one phone in the rink and we couldn't get access to it quickly.It probably didn't matter.I can only remember about 10 minutes of time after the accident and then I go blank,but 10 minutes on the ice would have the poor boy's last.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts