Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking after the Suter vs Kesler thread that maybe it would be cool to do a fantasy draft for a keeper league, the draft is 23 rounds (13 forwards, 7 defense, 3 goalies) and its thirty teams deep.

I know what the first thought is, way too many teams, not that many people will be interested. I have thought of that, I wouldn't start this league if I was unable to get 10 gms to do the draft, each gm would be responsible for 1 team, but would draft for three. The point being that when the season actually starts and the fairweather fans come snooping by one or two of them maybe interested in the league and grab a team, which may extend their interest in the site even during some of the NHL lulls or when their team blows a tire mid-season.

2. 23 man roster is a long draft. This maybe, but I think it would be interesting to see who is picked when, kind of making a Hockeyforum Fan Depth Chart, illustrating who this forum thinks is the best and who would you expect to slide to the bottom. As well, everyone knows the success of any fantasy hockey team is who the gm drafts in the later rounds, I won one of my Yahoo leagues last year because in the 13th and 14th rounds I had Kaberle and Myers.

3. How are the points tabulated. Well I think that there will be two guys, each working on 15 teams a piece. The point system will have to be negotiated, goals and assists are a given, wins and shutouts as well, but what about the rest of the stats. This will have to be anaylised by all the members of the league to see what everyone thinks.

4. How will the draft work? I would post all the rosters and signed prospects on a big draft day thread. The ten (or more) GMs would then use the Hockey Forum Chat to make the picks, each round will be posted in the above thread, the picks will be First to Last and then Last to First format, at the end the finished rosters will be posted, for the world to comment and judge upon.

So tell me what you guys think, if there is any interest in the league or if I'm an idiot.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
How long would someone have to be in the chat room to sit through 23 rounds of 30 teams?

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long would someone have to be in the chat room to sit through 23 rounds of 30 teams?
Ideally the GMs come prepared, and the whole draft would be 2-3 hours. With proper depth charts and a general draft philosphy a pick shouldnt take much longer then 10-15 seconds. 30x23= 690 which would take roughly 115-172 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I'm all for it.

Hell I'll meet you in Chat in 20min if you want and draft a league. lol
I just love drafts.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ideally the GMs come prepared, and the whole draft would be 2-3 hours. With proper depth charts and a general draft philosphy a pick shouldnt take much longer then 10-15 seconds. 30x23= 690 which would take roughly 115-172 minutes.
Sorry Macabe but even with a proper draft philsophy, no one is going to take only 15 seconds on a pick. I would suspect that the time would average out to 1 minute for all the picks and that is very generous. There is a reason that Yahoo hockey drafts with 12 teams and a team half the size of these take sometimes up to 2 hours.

Sounds like a good idea on paper but a little too involved for me.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the draft can be broken up into intervuls then. Something like 4-6 rounds a session. down over 4-6 sessions. Really the semantics is still to be determined as of right now I just would be interest into getting 10 people signed up so the real details can be negotiated an agreed upon.

Right now I have two:
charlio lemieux
MaCabe

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I wouldn't mind to join in,if I knew how the concept worked properly...
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Can we make a rule? Don't let VICE play. He'll win by a mile with sleepers. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Can we make a rule? Don't let VICE play. He'll win by a mile with sleepers. ;)
:laugh: YOU scared?

Bring it on VICE! 2yr plan, 3yr plan, 1yr plan I've been at the top of them all. Better competition makes for a better league.

IF you do a smaller league it eliminates the whole super depth knowledge but a 6-10 team league is far easier to keep going with active GM's.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:laugh: YOU scared?

Bring it on VICE! 2yr plan, 3yr plan, 1yr plan I've been at the top of them all. Better competition makes for a better league.

IF you do a smaller league it eliminates the whole super depth knowledge but a 6-10 team league is far easier to keep going with active GM's.
That might be more prudent. I was simply hoping for the draft to someone be a hockeyforum NHL depth Chart. Also I think there should be some spare squads for the seasonal poster giving them more insentive to sick around maybe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts