Hockey Fan Forums banner

Hendricks' journey pays off with shot in Boston

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  panoo 
#1 ·
Thursday, July 26, 2007
BY TIM LEONE
Of The Patriot-News

Matt Hendricks knew he was choosing a difficult road when he turned down a contract offer from the Nashville Predators, who selected him in the NHL entry draft.

It meant the forward faced a free-agent climb up the hockey ladder, starting in the ECHL.

"A lot of people look at it as unfortunate," Hendricks said. "I take it with a grain of salt. I was fortunate. I got to learn what it's like in the ECHL. You don't get coddled.

"I think it absolutely helped me because of the adversity. I'm mentally stronger than I would have been."

The 26-year-old's indefatigable efforts paid off this month with an NHL contract, a two-way deal with the Boston Bruins. Hendricks will play for the Providence Bruins if he doesn't make the NHL roster.

"They've got a new coaching staff and new management [in Boston]," Hendricks said. "I think the way Coach [Claude] Julien is going to run things, I think a player like me might have a chance."

Hendricks displayed a relentless work ethic for the Hershey Bears in 2006-07, producing a career-high 18 goals and 44 points while moving from wing to help solidify the club's situation at center.

The 6-foot, 208-pounder said he's not sure if he'll play center or wing with the Bruins.

"Whatever happens," he said. "Whatever they need."

The former St. Cloud State player was taken by Nashville in the fifth round (131st overall) in the 2000 entry draft. He played a game for the Nashville-affiliated Milwaukee Admirals in 2003-04 as a college eligible and was in residence for the team's Calder Cup run.

Ultimately, though, he opted for the free-agent route and played his formal pro rookie campaign for Florida (ECHL) in 2004-05. He scored 24 goals and got a 15-game callup to the Lowell Lock Monsters.

In 2005-06, Hendricks stepped up to an AHL contract and scored 13 goals in 56 games for Rochester.

Hershey signed him to an AHL deal last summer and got a bargain who was a grinder from the first whistle of training camp through the Calder Cup final.

Hendricks played 65 regular-season games and then added eight goals while playing all 19 playoff games.

"When I came out of college, I was more of a power forward trying to score goals," Hendricks said. "Now I'm better defensively and can also play center."

Hendricks was interested in returning to Hershey, and the Bears were interested in re-signing him. The NHL opportunity in Boston proved decisive in his decision.

"I'm pretty excited about it," Hendricks said. "I was looking at Hershey and really wanted to be back there, but it just didn't work out.

"It was a hard decision in my mind. I had to be a little bit selfish and think about my career. It was a tough day."

FULL STORY

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.