Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
8/4/2006 6:01:58 PM

Just days after accepting an arbitrator's decision on winger Kyle Calder, the Chicago Blackhawks traded him and his $2.95 million contract to the Philadelphia Flyers.

In return, Chicago received centre Michael Handzus, who is slated to make $2.128 million this season.

"In Michal Handzus, we were able to acquire a big, strong center who is an excellent two-way player," said Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon. "We felt we needed a big centerman to play against other big centers in the Western Conference.

"We also feel that Michal is a guy who will be able to get the puck to Martin Havlat. We feel that a line of Martin Havlat, Michal Handzus, and Tuomo Ruttu is a pretty good line.

"In the off-season we identified the center position as one we needed to strengthen and we feel we have addressed that need."

Handzus, 29, is 6-foot-five and 217 pounds. Last season, he played in 73 games for Philadelphia, scoring 11 goals and 33 assists. Handzus was the leading face-off man for the Flyers, winning 53.2% of his draws to rank 18th in the NHL.

Handzus has scored 20 or more goals three times in his NHL career, including a career-high 25 goals in the 1999-2000 season with St. Louis.

The Flyers were a good match for Chicago in making a deal since they have depth up the middle. The emergence of youngsters Mike Richards and Jeff Carter made Handzus expendable, while the health problems facing Keith Primeau had the Flyers looking for help on the wings.

Calder, 27, was the Blackhawks' 7th choice (130th overall) in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft. Last season, he played in 79 games and scored 26 goals and 33 assists - all career highs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This was an amazing move by the Philadelphia Flyers. Kyle Calder has improved every year since his rookie season and doesn't look like he's guna slow down in the post-lockout NHL. Michal Handzus is a very talented player and performed well for the Flyers, but they needed to get some depth on the left wing. Bob Clarke is the man.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
The Flyers were a good match for Chicago in making a deal since they have depth up the middle. The emergence of youngsters Mike Richards and Jeff Carter made Handzus expendable, while the health problems facing Keith Primeau had the Flyers looking for help on the wings.
Wow. :dunno:

I guess he was sort of expendable. He was a vita part of their team, and I didn't expect them to trade him away any time soon.

Calder is good though, but it looks like Chicago is going to play Handzus on the top line. Did he play on the top line in Philly? I'm not sure about that... at least, I don't think so.

I never saw him as much of a point-getter really.

I guess well have to see how he plays in the role.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Handzus was playing LW for the Flyers but he is a center. He was also playing on Philadelphia's 2nd line for most of the season but there were constant line changes with all the injuries they went through. He isn't a big scorer but he's a big body to move from the front of the net and is very un-selfish with the puck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts