Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to tsn.ca in part of a three team deal the Chicago Blackhawks have acquired Winger Martin Havlat. Mark Bell was traded to the Sharks as part of the deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This was a good Deal. Not only did Ottawa unload a cancerous pre-madonna, but they also managed to free up more than $1 million in cap space by off loading Smolinski. (I only say 1 million because the defencemen they got in return is set to earn 600,000 this season and Smolks was set to earn around 1.5 million)..........I have mixed feelings. Havlat is an extremely talented player, but has always caused problems off the ice for Ottawa. I feel bad for how much the Blackhawks are spending on him......He is not worth the $6million a season they have agreed to pay him (Havlat signed an $18 million dollar 3 year deal with the Hawks.)

The D man Ottawa gets from San Jose definately adds more offensive power to the blue line. Preissing had a 43 point season this year...so we will see how he does in Ottawa this year....Since loosing Chara to Boston Ottawa seems to be taking an approach similar to that of Carolina and Buffalo.........solid Dmen with only one or two bonified stars as the anchors who work together as a unit......the only difference in Ottawa is that the Dmen are more offensive minded which is always a plus.

not only did Ottawa get a guy ready to step into the line up but also 2 solid prospects to help bolster the teams depth in the future.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worth The Money?

At this point a lot of the talent in the Free Agent market is gone, and the Hawks have missed out on all of it! So thats why they paid him the 6 million, because they couldnt go the whole offseason with out acquiring a top line player!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very true.........it is a good pick up for the Hawks and will instantly give them some scoring power......HOWEVER Havlat is injury prone and will quit on his team if he doesn't like his situation.......just watch come the 3rd year of his contract he will hold out or demand more money....and if he doesn't get it, his play on the ice will suffer. Smolinski is also a good fit for Chicago I think.......

Sending Smolinski to Chicago frees up money to hopefully help sign a UFA like PECA.....a tough veteran center who is a proven playoff performer........

Hawk fans will enjoy Havlat's performance on the ice...he is a great talent...but IF the Hawks make the playoffs, Havlat's presence on the ice will disappear as soon as the big hits start being thrown.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
TSN.ca Staff. He missed 58 games last season following shoulder surgery. However, he recorded 16 points in 18 regular season games before a superb playoff performance in which he tallied 13 points in 10 games, making him a hot commodity this summer.
He did all this because he knew he was going to look for new digs in the off season....I wouldn't expect this on a regular basis from him...especially now....he will probably be like Yashin...get the big bucks.... then don't show up to earn them!!!!

I don't feel he's worth $6 Million a year either!!!

I'm just glad Ottawa got rid of him!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
on other forums I see alot of people saying the Sens are doomed now...Muckler is destroying the team...........I find that kind of funny because I guess these people don't pay much attention to hockey. Havlat essentially missed the entire season last year and Ottawa WITHOUT Havlat managed to finish #1 in the east and was the highest scoring team in the league (I believe they led the league in Goals.....plus I think they had the fewest goals against)..........So Ottawa will be just fine without Havlat....actually this deal helps shore up the Defensive ranks....yes we lost Chara and Pothier, but we have replaced them with 2 40+ point Dmen. Our goaltending is in better shape this year. Gerber is not old and injury prone and I believe Emery learned alot from last season and now has a taste and idea of what playoff hockey at this level is like.

Also, I know it wasn't said here in these forums but trading Havlat does not now make Ottawa a one line team who depends on Spezza,Heatley and Alfie to do all the scoring........they have schaefer, Fisher, Vermette, who all had 20+ goal seasons.. and vermette and fisher I think will only continue to improve, not to mention that Neil has found a scoring touch his last 2 seasons. Would I like to see Ottawa make some more moves....YES......my wishlist has only one must have on it.......a VETERAN CENTER! That would really solidify the lines and give Ottawa something they have never really had...that veteran leadership who will lead by example in the playoffs and not just say the words........clearly my ideal pick up at this point would be PECA....I really hope he does come and sign here in Ottawa.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Muckler Is Stupid.. Havlat Is One Of The Best Player., Everytime He Averages A Point Per Game Almost!!!!!! And Ottawa Gave Havlat And Smolinski Both.... Thats A Huge Setback And The Players They Got In Return Are Just No Worth Of Anything. Preissing Sucks And Everyone ....... Muckler Is Stupidest Person Ever ........:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
How can you say Preissing sucks??? He hasn't been in the league as long as Chara and already he is matching the production of Chara......both Preissing and Chara had a 43 point season and both were +17.......and Chara was on a better team.......I think that says alot about Preissing.........no he doesn't have the same physical presence that Chara does...but then again WHO DOES???....the advantage preissing has over Chara is mobility.......This was a great trade and really helps bolster Ottawa's line up.....gives them cap room to bring in a UFA or make a trade to bring in a big name with a bigger contract. Just you watch Ottawa is not done making moves.......there are more in the works....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts