Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
10/7/2006 11:13:56 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Detroit's offence is a work in progress now that Brendan Shanahan has moved on and Steve Yzerman has retired. With a healthy Dominik Hasek in net and Nicklas Lidstrom along the blue line, there's nothing wrong with the Red Wings' defence.

Lidstrom and Detroit's blanketing defence held Pittsburgh to 13 shots, Johan Franzen scored the pivotal goal off a rebound in the first period and the Red Wings bounced back from an opening-game loss to beat the Penguins 2-0 Saturday night.

Dominik Hasek had one of the easiest of his 69 career shutouts, facing only seven shots over the final two periods as last season's Presidents' Trophy winners played their second excellent defensive game in a row. The Red Wings held Vancouver to 17 shots Thursday, but lost 3-1 in Lidstrom's first game since succeeding the retired Yzerman as captain.

"I can't say it's the easiest because last year I had one with 12 shots (against Montreal)," said Hasek, back for his second turn with Detroit after spending last season with Ottawa. "But we played very well on defence. I had to stay sharp because it was only 1-0 for 59 minutes and one goal can mean everything."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=180154&hubname=nhl

1 - 1 of 1 Posts