Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
11/8/2006 11:12:15 PM

DETROIT (AP) - Dominik Hasek only had to stop 16 shots to earn his 70th career shutout and lift the Detroit Red Wings to a 3-0 win over the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday night.

It was the seventh consecutive win for Detroit (10-4-1), which got goals from Dan Cleary, Henrik Zetterberg, and Jiri Hudler, and two assists from Chris Chelios.

Dwayne Roloson stopped 42 shots for Edmonton (7-7-1) in the second meeting of the season between the teams that met in the first round of the playoffs last season. The Oilers, who upset the top-seeded Red Wings last season in six games, beat Detroit 3-1 in Edmonton on Oct. 21.

Cleary opened the scoring 1:55 into the second period, when he tipped in Kirk Maltby's shot from the right point. It was Cleary's third goal of the season and third in two games.
Zetterberg added a short-handed goal 2:57 into the third period on a wrist shot from the bottom of the left circle that beat Roloson on the short side, and Hudler a power-play goal with 4:28 remaining.

Detroit right wing Jason Williams was taken off the ice on a stretcher and left Joe Louis Arena in an ambulance in the second period.

FULL STORY

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Good game for Detroit... scary that Williams was taken out of the game on a stretcher though. Anyone see the play? I'm hearing this from an outside source.

The Red Wings held the Oilers shotless in the first period which is really quite impressive, and then held out for the shutout. Haseks play seems to be getting better and better, and Zetterberg is starting to put up points consistently, as is Datsyuk.

Lidstrom continues to impress, getting another assist tonight, and being +1. that makes him a +15 for the season, and I believe that he is leading the league. Cleary has really added some unexpected goals for the Wings as well, and thats definitely good to see. Oh, and another short handed goal for Detroit, looks like the PK is getting better. The PP seems to be pretty stagnant right now, not really providing much, and the Wings really need to get it going.

Anyway, 7 straight wins, not much to complain about really. Just have to hope for the best with Williams, hope that Lidstrom, Hasek and Zetterberg continue to be consistent, and keep on getting points from unexpected players. Good stretch for the Red Wings..

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wingsnut19 said:
Good game for Detroit... scary that Williams was taken out of the game on a stretcher though. Anyone see the play? I'm hearing this from an outside source.

The Red Wings held the Oilers shotless in the first period which is really quite impressive, and then held out for the shutout.
Haseks
play seems to be getting better and better, and Zetterberg is starting to put up points consistently, as is Datsyuk.

Lidstrom continues to impress, getting another assist tonight, and being +1. that makes him a +15 for the season, and I believe that he is leading the league. Cleary has really added some unexpected goals for the Wings as well, and
thats
definitely good to see. Oh, and another short handed goal for Detroit, looks like the PK is getting better. The PP seems to be pretty stagnant right now, not really providing much, and the Wings really need to get it going.

Anyway, 7 straight wins, not much to complain about really. Just have to hope for the best with Williams, hope that Lidstrom, Hasek and Zetterberg continue to be consistent, and keep on getting points from unexpected players. Good stretch for the Red Wings..

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
10-4-1. They may not be "great", but they're not dying off anytime soon.

Detroit looks to be a tough opponent to face yet again this year, as expected.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
panoo2004 said:
It was a clean hit!! It's more the way he fell on the ice, face first OUCH!!!
I never said it wasn't a clean hit. I said it was scary, which it was. I saw the replays now, and it was definitely a clean hit, Williams came around with his head down. There was a tonne of blood on the ice, which made it seem really bad, but I guess there are reports that he's doing ok.

And whats with the red text in what you quoted from me?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wingsnut19 said:
I never said it wasn't a clean hit. I said it was scary, which it was. I saw the replays now, and it was definitely a clean hit, Williams came around with his head down. There was a tonne of blood on the ice, which made it seem really bad, but I guess there are reports that he's doing ok.

And whats with the red text in what you quoted from me?
Sorry, you asked if anyone saw the play, I just thought I was helping you out, from your post I didn't think you had seen it, and thought you might have thought it was a dirty play or something!! I didn't mean anything by it!!

I have no idea why there is red text?

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
panoo2004 said:
Sorry, you asked if anyone saw the play, I just thought I was helping you out, from your post I didn't think you had seen it, and thought you might have thought it was a dirty play or something!! I didn't mean anything by it!!

I have no idea why there is red text?
Ah, no worries. Just thought you were getting at that I made it seem like a dirty play. But ya, it was a clean hit, scary outcome.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great game last night! Zetterberg is off of his slump that he had earlier this season, and continues to have success. Williams went down last night, but it sounds great to know that he is alwright. Hasek gets his 70th career shutout, and that is just amazing considering that he entered the NHL when he was like 28 years old. The Red Wings are on a seven game winning streak. I am going to the game tomorrow against the Nashville Predators!

Keep it up Wings! Lets Go Red Wings!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts