Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I dont know about Roy, but Brodeur has never used large equipment. When the rules on making goalie equipment smaller were enforced, Brodeur didnt have to change anything. Also, Brodeur plays with some of the heaviest pads in the league, and the chest protector he wears is pretty old.
he may have never been using over large equipment but even the equipment made of artificial fabrics is allot easier to handle then leather that gained 30-40 pounds of water weight gained during a period.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, I never knew Sawchuk played with a broken arm. The Patrick Roy vote has a point though, since his butterfly is now standard in the NHL

But come on, Tommy Salo played for a team where the #1 centre was Mike Comrie and the 2nd line centre was Jiri Dipota (who the...?) so Tommy Salo, my favourite goalie of all time. How about that glove save during the shootout for the GOLD MEDAL??????

And Ron Hextall, he was the epitome of all that other goalies are not.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow, I never knew Sawchuk played with a broken arm. The Patrick Roy vote has a point though, since his butterfly is now standard in the NHL

But come on, Tommy Salo played for a team where the #1 centre was Mike Comrie and the 2nd line centre was Jiri Dipota (who the...?) so Tommy Salo, my favourite goalie of all time. How about that glove save during the shootout for the GOLD MEDAL??????

And Ron Hextall, he was the epitome of all that other goalies are not.
Salo wasnt that great, for alot of people the reminder of the Belarus goal that eliminated Sweden is still fresh in people's mind. As for Hextall, he wasnt even the best goaltender of his era, not saying he was a bad or average goalie, but you cant possibly say he was more dominant than Roy or Hasek during his career

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Right now, I would say Patrick Roy. But, I think that brodeur will surpass him when his career is over. Unless he has a major flop in the last couple years of his career, which is probably unlikly.

You also have to give credit to guys like Terry Sawchuk. They had little padding and still had the guts to stand infront of 90 m/h slapshots, they grinded it out every game and still came up with good numbers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Salo wasnt that great, for alot of people the reminder of the Belarus goal that eliminated Sweden is still fresh in people's mind. As for Hextall, he wasnt even the best goaltender of his era, not saying he was a bad or average goalie, but you cant possibly say he was more dominant than Roy or Hasek during his career
That goal happened in the last 3 years of his career. Not all encompassing of his early work.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
From all ive read it think the greatest of all time is Sawchuk, but the greatest from this generation has got to be Roy with Brodeur a close second.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
random and probably irrelevant point: glenn hall has the most unbreakable record in the books -- 503 consecutive games played.

for me, it goes 1. roy 2. hall 3. tretiak. but i never did see hall play and i only got to see the very end of tretiak's career, so i'm going by hearsay and reputation. for sure, sawchuk and parent should be in the top ten, as should hasek and brodeur. but it seems like a silly and pointless argument, being that most of us have not seen all of these guys play. it seems equally silly to say that sawchuk would have been better than roy or brodeur if he'd played in the '90s or later or that roy or brodeur would have been scared of the puck if they'd played during his (what are we basing this on? wouldn't roy or brodeur be used to poor equipment if they'd grown up playing goal in the '40s?). equipment was not the only factor. e.g. goalies today all went through very rigorous training, many having their own coaches from a very young age; sawchuk was much bigger than most goalies of his time but would be slightly smaller than average today, thus negating one advantage he had in the '50s; on average, players skate a lot faster and shoot a lot harder than in the '50s. which is not to say that goaltending is tougher now than it was fifty years ago, or that sawchuk would not be a star if he'd played today, just that there are far too many factors to make it even remotely possible to decide and that i have no idea one way or the other. wouldn't it make more sense to judge greatest goaltender of all time based on one's dominance with respect to his own era? with that in mind, i'll reiterate my list: roy, hall, tretiak. then (in chronological order) sawchuk, plante, parent, hasek, brodeur.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would take Sawchuk any day, no offence to Patrick Roy or Brodeur, the guy had alot fo shutouts in an era wore basically paper towel equipment and still maintained an average below 3 most of the time, and he was the toughest son of a bitch, its only Sawchuk who can survive a slap shot from Bobby Hull in the chest and still go in the game and beat his opposition despite having all kinds of bruises
Damn Right... Terry Sawchuk was amazing I've seen old footage of his play... and 103 shutouts that is unbelievable... Patrick Roy may have more wins... but i would still take Terry Sawchuk in his prime over Patrick Roy.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
People have to remeber that they played more games in Roy's era compared to Sawchuks and the rest of the old school tenders of the 50's and 60's.

·
Registered
759 Posts
People have to remeber that they played more games in Roy's era compared to Sawchuks and the rest of the old school tenders of the 50's and 60's.
Well if you look at Brodeur's stats, he plays 70+ games which is about the standard back then, so it makes no difference...but ill always have more respect for the goalies of that era who didnt lead normal lives, Jacques Plante was a solitary man, Glenn Hall would throw up before games, Sawchuk was depressed knowing he was going to get hurt badly before a game even started. I dont know how those men did it back then to be a goalie. Sachuk in his case had over 400 stitches on his head.

For me, its a no brainer, id take sawchuk in my all time team and im a Habs fan, so no one can accuse me of being biased (or else I would of chosen Plante or Royor even Dryden)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If his career ended now it'd be a tricky argument to make.....if he plays a couple more seasons....WHICH HE WILL AT LEAST....maybe toss another cup in his pocket......maybe another vezina...olympic gold perhaps??..whatever.....MARTIN BRODEUR..........is the man!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Patrick-fickin-Roy.

The only brightspot to that observation were his last game in Montreal (against the Wings) and his last game in the NHL (also against the Wings).

Beyond that, he was clutch and clutch is everything. One could argue he carried Montreal to its 2 titles and was superb with the Avs in theirs.

Brodeur will take my vote when he retires if he gets another Cup. Its just too big of an accomplishment to overlook when comparing the two when one has 4 Cups and the other has 3.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts