Hockey Fan Forums banner

Good showing for USA hockey in 3 teams left

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  the flying moose 
#1 ·
Since Derian Hatcher last won the Cup in 99, no other American captain has lifted the Cup. This year that's all that is left: Ryan Callahan, Zach Parise and Dustin Brown. There is a good showing of American born players left in the playoffs:

Rags:

Bickel, Boyle, Callahan, Dubinsky, Kreider, McDonagh, Rupp, Stepan.

Debs:

Carter, Fayne, Gionta, Greene, Harrold, Parise,

Kings:

Brown, Greene, Lewis, Martinez, Quick, Scuderi.

Very nice showing for USA hockey.

#2 ·
Yup. Canada and Russia are no longer the "elite" hockey powers. Junior programs in the US are producing many fine young talents that are just as good as the players that the programs in Canada are producing. Off the top of my head up and coming players like Emerson Etem from California played his minor hockey with the NDTP and Shattuck St Marys and has lit it up with the Medicine Hat Tigers of the WHL and Seth Jones who played this season with the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL this season and who is considered a top prospect for the 2013 Draft.

#3 ·
It is a really good showing for American hockey, and especially the NCAA as a viable development league for legitimate stars. Before it was few and far between - now it's guys like Parise and Quick who are legitimate stars and Kreider, McDonagh and Stepan who have potential to be as such.

I'm not sure they'll compete with the volume that Canada produces, but player-for-player, it's looking much closer than before.

Despite his numbers, I've always seen Etem as interesting. He has the physical attributes and speed to dominate in junior hockey, but I'm not sure he has the hockey sense to make a similar impact at the NHL level.

And just a note, Seth Jones captained the US Development Program this past season. He should be in Portland next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.