Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Derian Hatcher last won the Cup in 99, no other American captain has lifted the Cup. This year that's all that is left: Ryan Callahan, Zach Parise and Dustin Brown. There is a good showing of American born players left in the playoffs:

Rags:

Bickel, Boyle, Callahan, Dubinsky, Kreider, McDonagh, Rupp, Stepan.

Debs:

Carter, Fayne, Gionta, Greene, Harrold, Parise,

Kings:

Brown, Greene, Lewis, Martinez, Quick, Scuderi.

Very nice showing for USA hockey.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yup. Canada and Russia are no longer the "elite" hockey powers. Junior programs in the US are producing many fine young talents that are just as good as the players that the programs in Canada are producing. Off the top of my head up and coming players like Emerson Etem from California played his minor hockey with the NDTP and Shattuck St Marys and has lit it up with the Medicine Hat Tigers of the WHL and Seth Jones who played this season with the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL this season and who is considered a top prospect for the 2013 Draft.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
It is a really good showing for American hockey, and especially the NCAA as a viable development league for legitimate stars. Before it was few and far between - now it's guys like Parise and Quick who are legitimate stars and Kreider, McDonagh and Stepan who have potential to be as such.

I'm not sure they'll compete with the volume that Canada produces, but player-for-player, it's looking much closer than before.

Yup. Canada and Russia are no longer the "elite" hockey powers. Junior programs in the US are producing many fine young talents that are just as good as the players that the programs in Canada are producing. Off the top of my head up and coming players like Emerson Etem from California played his minor hockey with the NDTP and Shattuck St Marys and has lit it up with the Medicine Hat Tigers of the WHL and Seth Jones who played this season with the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL this season and who is considered a top prospect for the 2013 Draft.
Despite his numbers, I've always seen Etem as interesting. He has the physical attributes and speed to dominate in junior hockey, but I'm not sure he has the hockey sense to make a similar impact at the NHL level.

And just a note, Seth Jones captained the US Development Program this past season. He should be in Portland next year.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is a really good showing for American hockey, and especially the NCAA as a viable development league for legitimate stars.
What I don't like about the NCAA is that if a player were to play one single game in major junior then they automatically forfeit their NCAA eligibility. All the bickering and BS between College Hockey Inc. and Hockey Canada is stupid and not in the best interest of the players. Forcing a kid to make what amounts to a life changing decision like that without any chance of changing his mind is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
What I don't like about the NCAA is that if a player were to play one single game in major junior then they automatically forfeit their NCAA eligibility. All the bickering and BS between College Hockey Inc. and Hockey Canada is stupid and not in the best interest of the players. Forcing a kid to make what amounts to a life changing decision like that without any chance of changing his mind is ridiculous.
It's because the major junior players are technically professional players under the NCAA's definition since they are provided with what equates to an allowance by the teams (I believe it's between $50 and $200 per week), some end up getting signing bonuses from the teams as well and almost all of them have some form of agent representation.

Same reason why Swedish players that come over to play in the NCAA don't play past the SuperElit level in Sweden since they would start to get money if they played either in Division 1, Allsvenskan or Elitserien.

It's not a pissing match between the two leagues.

Considering that some players use the threat of the NCAA to drop down the CHL draft rankings if they don't like the top teams (Logan Couture famously did this), most players have already made that life-changing decision. It's not like they have to decide when they're 6 or 7 years old. The players are 16 and don't make the decision on a whim.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's because the major junior players are technically professional players under the NCAA's definition since they are provided with what equates to an allowance by the teams (I believe it's between $50 and $200 per week), some end up getting signing bonuses from the teams as well and almost all of them have some form of agent representation.

Same reason why Swedish players that come over to play in the NCAA don't play past the SuperElit level in Sweden since they would start to get money if they played either in Division 1, Allsvenskan or Elitserien.

It's not a pissing match between the two leagues.

Considering that some players use the threat of the NCAA to drop down the CHL draft rankings if they don't like the top teams (Logan Couture famously did this), most players have already made that life-changing decision. It's not like they have to decide when they're 6 or 7 years old. The players are 16 and don't make the decision on a whim.
Thanks for the insight. A hockey blog I sometimes read always seems to paint a picture of a battle between College Hockey Inc and Hockey Canada when it comes to major junior or NCAA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts