Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the trade?

I wanted to keep Gomez and get rid of Redden, Drury and Redden. And get rid of Redden again.

Send Redden to the minors, to college, drown him, anything. How do you dump a salary and not dump his?

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Nobody wanted Redden or his salary, that's how you don't dump his salary.

Also, the fact that his NTC prevents you from trading to five more cities than Gomez's NTC did puts a damper on his value, since the teams he's probably willing to go have most of the cap filled or have targeted free agents they want to sign.

Either way, Gomez, for all his efforts, wasn't going to accomplish much in New York and the return was more than fair. Good deal for the Rangers.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
I'm not sure you could bury Redden in the minors, I've heard that there's a clause in his contract which prevents it, but I don't follow the contracts that Sather hands out closely.

Nobody will trade for him, and you can't just stop paying him. You could buy him out, but instead of getting young players (like the deal for Gomez) and being able to retain your current young players, you'd only get $3M more in Cap space to spread throughout your young players now.

I'm not saying it's Gomez's fault he had no one to pass to. That's on Sather. But at some point, you have to look at things and go "okay, the experiment isn't working" and then move on and try new things.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it better to buy him out and have $3 million cap space or use $6 million cap space for a guy that isn't worth $600,000? Not to mention that he is an albatross that the Garden fans won't let you forget every time he touches the puck. He played marginally better at the end of last season when he was thisclose to being booed out of town, much to my regret.

But the question is still why trade Gomez when Drury is really the guy to go? I can't imagine he'd enforce his no trade clause. For some reason unknown to me (maybe because Redden takes the heat) he hasn't been booed yet but with Gomez gone and no other high paid forward to pick on he will be.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
An example from another web site that specifically used Wade Redden as an example:

The cap hit for the buyout is calculated as follows:

Calculate the buyout amount (as explained above)
Spread the buyout amount evenly over twice the remaining years on the contract. This is the cap hit the team will have.
This is fairly complicated wording, so let’s use Wade Redden as an example. As of the end of the 2008-2009 season, Wade has 5 years and $31 million remaining on his contract. The buyout amount is ($31 million * 2/3 = $20.67 million). Twice the remaining years on his contract is (5 years * 2 = 10 years). Now, spread the buyout amount evenly over the years ($20.67/10 = $2.067 million). If the Rangers were to buyout Wade Redden, they would have a cap hit of $2.067 million over the next 10 seasons.
So the Rangers would have to shell out $20M for the buyout(great if you are Redden), and work from a salary cap that is $2M less than everyone else for the next 10 years to buy him out. My guess is that in addition to a "no trade clause" he has a "one way" deal that prevents him from going to the minors. Just too costly to buy him out, their stuck with him.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So instead of having a cap $2 million lower than other teams they should have a cap $6 million lower plus Redden? What sense does that make? The Rangers don't need the cap to survive. They are made of money. Haven't you noticed that?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
So instead of having a cap $2 million lower than other teams they should have a cap $6 million lower plus Redden? What sense does that make? The Rangers don't need the cap to survive. They are made of money. Haven't you noticed that?
Yeah, but $2 million less to work with is a lot.

You know there is no real answer in NY they guy to go isn't Gomez, or Drury, or Redden, or Gaborik, or Roszival... its Sather.

This dumbass has signed probably 4 of the top 10 worst contracts since the lockout.

Here is the globe and mail talking about the worst contracts:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bad-deals-handicap-clubs/article1180081/

The 3 worst listed are all from Sather, and I have a feeling that Gaborik will be on that list in short order.

The worst thing is that these aren't bad players, they are good enough to keep the team somewhat competitive. The problem is the lack of a supporting cast. This team won't compete, but won't get into a position to rebuild.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know there is no real answer in NY they guy to go isn't Gomez, or Drury, or Redden, or Gaborik, or Roszival... its Sather.

This dumbass has signed probably 4 of the top 10 worst contracts since the lockout.

The worst thing is that these aren't bad players, they are good enough to keep the team somewhat competitive. The problem is the lack of a supporting cast. This team won't compete, but won't get into a position to rebuild.
Don't you think that Ranger fans know that?

For whatever reason the Dolans (Cablevision) love Sather. None of them dare set foot on the Garden ice for ceremonies because they know what will happen.

I've always said that there's a helmet that Ranger GM's are forced to wear like the Spock's Brain episode of Star Trek. They all fall into the mentality of signing overpriced usually over-the-hill stars. Ranger fans HATE this. It's not like they demand this strategy. This is one of the great mysteries of life. Kind of like people actually wanting to live in Philadelphia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Then cut him and get whatever salary cap relief you're entitled to.

It's not Gomez' fault that he has no one to pass the puck to.
100% agree. Gomez is a star player. Highly underated. He needed another similar skill level player on his line to take the oppositions focus off him. I think getting rid of him could be a mistake.

p.s. i was shattered we were 3-1 up against the freakin caps and lost 4-3 in the playoffs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any thoughts on the trade?

I wanted to keep Gomez and get rid of Redden, Drury and Redden. And get rid of Redden again.

Send Redden to the minors, to college, drown him, anything. How do you dump a salary and not dump his?
You should be grateful they could at least dump Gomez's gigantic salary. I can't even believe they gave it to him in the first place, mind boggling it is.

Nobody is going to take Redden, word around Ottawa is he is or was a huge coke head.

·
Registered
42 Posts
100% agree. Gomez is a star player. Highly underated. He needed another similar skill level player on his line to take the oppositions focus off him. I think getting rid of him could be a mistake.

p.s. i was shattered we were 3-1 up against the freakin caps and lost 4-3 in the playoffs
with a 7.5 million dollar contract, how exactly is he underrated? He is very overrated if anything.

There are plenty of NHLers who can post big numbers playing alongside superstars, this is not the mark of a great player.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Nobody wanted Redden or his salary, that's how you don't dump his salary.

Also, the fact that his NTC prevents you from trading to five more cities than Gomez's NTC did puts a damper on his value, since the teams he's probably willing to go have most of the cap filled or have targeted free agents they want to sign.

Either way, Gomez, for all his efforts, wasn't going to accomplish much in New York and the return was more than fair. Good deal for the Rangers.
yea ,But he had some great moments in New York. Because Rangers didn't have any great players except for Drury though and Antropov.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts