Hockey Fan Forums banner

GM Keenan and Panthers part ways

992 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  BE-LEAF-ABLE 
#1 ·
TSN.ca Staff
9/3/2006 3:30:56 PM

The Florida Panthers and their general manager are not waiting together to see how the 2006-07 NHL season will unfold.

Even after an offseason of major player transactions and renewed playoff hopes, the team announced in a statement Sunday that Mike Keenan has resigned from his front office post and has been replaced by head coach Jacques Martin.

''I can't say that I had looked at being a general manager,'' Martin said. ''Maybe a long-term goal could have been that, but not short term.''

It is not clear what led to the move - made just days before the start of training camp. While the Panthers are publicly saying he has resigned, sources tell TSN that Keenan was actually forced out.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

#2 ·
:eek: I don't get it. This makes no sense at all, especially seeing as he's put together what I think is a very solid team.

It must have been for personal reasons or something.:dunno:

#4 ·
Did Keenan jump, or was he pushed?

TSN.ca Staff
09/04/2006

On Sunday, the Florida Panthers issued a press release announcing Mike Keenan's resignation. However, sources close to the Panthers say Keenan did not resign, and given the financial implications, it seems implausible.

Keenan has three years remaining on a contract that owes him millions of dollars. It's unlikely he would walk away from that by quitting.

TSN.ca - Columnists - Canada's Sports Leader

#5 ·
Dudley: 'Panthers owner big fan of Martin'

Canadian Press
9/5/2006 5:47:46 PM

GM Mike Keenan's surprise resignation as Panthers GM appears to have come down to a failing relationship with coach Jacques Martin - and Martin's close relationship with Florida owner Alan Cohen.

"I know that he (Cohen) likes Jacques a great deal and respects him as a hockey person a great deal," former Panthers GM Rick Dudley said Tuesday. "That much I know for sure, because Alan has told me that before."

Dudley was relieved of his GM duties in May 2004 when Cohen brought in Martin as coach and Mike Keenan as GM. Martin was on Keenan's coaching staff in Chicago (1988-90) and the two were also college hockey teammates so it was portrayed as Martin bringing Keenan on board.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

#6 ·
Sounds like he was pushed.

An owner liking one guy more than another shouldn't have been the down fall of a GM who was doing a good job this off-season.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case, and that's a shame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.