Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff with Orange County Register files
7/17/2006 10:22:19 AM

If Ilya Bryzgalov is going to be the Anaheim Ducks' No. 1 netminder next season, he didn't find out about it from the team.

Ducks general manager Brian Burke was quick to respond to Bryzgalov's remarks in a Russian newspaper over the weekend, as the young goaltender said the team notified him that he was going to be their top man in net.

"My first reaction is that this could be a language-barrier issue," Burke told the Orange Country Register through a team spokesman.

"No one from our organization has told either goalie they will be our No. 1 goalie, nor has anyone told them they will be traded. What I did tell each player was that since they have both established themselves as No. 1 goalies in the league, we would listen to (trade) offers on either of them, but I haven't offered either to any team, period."

Bryzgalov was quoted telling Sovietsky Sport newspaper Saturday that the team wants him to be the No. 1 goaltender next season instead of Jean-Sebastien Giguere.

Giguere won 30 games in 60 regular season appearances last season with a 2.66 goals against average, but struggled in the playoffs as the Ducks turned to Bryzgalov.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts