Assists: Henrik Zetterberg (30)
+/-: Justin Abdelkader (+11)
PIM: Tomas Holmstrom (42)

GAA: Jimmy Howard (2.66)
SV%: Jimmy Howard (.909)
Wins: Jimmy Howard (20)
Shutouts: Jimmy Howard (2)

Key Players of the Game

Helm has been impressive recently, assisting on three goals in the past two games, drawing key penalties and providing the Red Wings with solid, speedy defensive play.

Tatar scored a big goal against the Islanders on New Years Eve, and is still playing on a line that will be counted on to provide some depth offense. He looked good with limited action (only played 12:18), and will probably be around that again tonight.

On Darren Helm (with a mention of Abdelkader)
Last night, I thought he was our most dangerous forward. I think he's been excellent these last two games. Actually, those two guys (Helm and Justin Abdelkader) and their lines have been excellent the last two games.
On Jan Mursak and Tomas Tatar
One is going to be more of an energy player at the NHL level and be on the puck in Mursak, and the other one can play like that but he has a nose for the net and seems to have good puck skills. We'll see how they both evolve here. There's lots of guys who come in and are good for a couple of games and then their energy goes and they can't keep up, so we'll see how these guys do.

23-10-5

Flyers Lineup

James van Riemsdyk - Mike Richards - Danny Briere
Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Nikolay Zherdev
Andreas Nodl - Jeff Carter - Ville Leino
Dan Carcillo - Blair Betts - Darroll Powe

Andrej Meszaros - Matt Carle
Kimmo Timonen - Braydon Coburn
Oskars Bartulis - Sean O’Donnell

Sergei Bobrovsky

Flyers Injuries

Ian Laperriere (Post-concussion syndrome)
Matt Walker (Right hip surgery)
Chris Pronger (Right foot surgery)​

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Flyers seemed to dominate most of the game until Detroit got it going in the 3rd. The penalty on Leino in the 3rd for goaltender interference was garbage as he was clearly tackled into Osgood and that resulting power play led to Zetterberg's goal to make it 3-2. Pretty much a game controlled by the Flyers and Boucher played awesome, again to move to 7-1-1 in his last 9 starts.

If the Flyers played this way consistently, they aren't tied for the league lead, they probably have a 5-10 point margin ahead of 2nd place.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I missed the game, what were your thoughts on it?
Flyers played 60 minutes, Red Wings phoned it in for the first 40, then showed up for the last 20.

Referees swallowed their whistles for the entire game, calling only blatant stuff, but somehow missed Hudler being hooked when he broke through the Flyers' defense in the third. And Lidstrom being hit by Hartnell after he broke the Flyers play up in the Red Wings zone and Holmstrom already passed the puck to Zetterberg who was up at center with the puck when the check occurred. Other than those two "missed penalties", I thought that the Flyers played a pretty disciplined game. There was a Ericsson hook on Briere that I thought should have been called as well, since it was pretty obvious.

Richards looked strange and fairly ineffective out there, I thought. Can't recall a single shift where he looked amazing in the offensive zone or the defensive zone. Didn't think 'damn, Richards is going to score' or 'damn, how did Richards stop that play?' once during the game. To compound it, he this one shift where he looked like he was a total predator out there and was going to lay someone out, but then he turned around on the same shift and put himself into a vulnerable position in the place where Kronwall usually smacks people around. Had his head down and looked completely unaware of where he was on the ice. Luckily for him, it was Ericsson on the ice instead of Kronwall, and he just came and poked the puck past Richards. Still not a good idea considering that he passed Kronwall on the same shift and gave him a little shot, mere seconds earlier.

Timonen was easily the Flyers' best player tonight, but I thought that Hartnell, Coburn and Leino were pretty good too. Briere and Meszaros had their moments too. I thought that Carter and Giroux (and the aforementioned Richards) were pretty unremarkable - break into the zone on their own, try to go wide, when they can't get by the defenseman, shoot it at the goaltender to get the rebound for.. nobody.

Boucher had a couple big saves as well, especially one in the third where Franzen was wide open. Just couldn't get the shot high enough.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Flyers played 60 minutes, Red Wings phoned it in for the first 40, then showed up for the last 20.

Referees swallowed their whistles for the entire game, calling only blatant stuff, but somehow missed Hudler being hooked when he broke through the Flyers' defense in the third. And Lidstrom being hit by Hartnell after he broke the Flyers play up in the Red Wings zone and Holmstrom already passed the puck to Zetterberg who was up at center with the puck when the check occurred. Other than those two "missed penalties", I thought that the Flyers played a pretty disciplined game. There was a Ericsson hook on Briere that I thought should have been called as well, since it was pretty obvious.

Richards looked strange and fairly ineffective out there, I thought. Can't recall a single shift where he looked amazing in the offensive zone or the defensive zone. Didn't think 'damn, Richards is going to score' or 'damn, how did Richards stop that play?' once during the game. To compound it, he this one shift where he looked like he was a total predator out there and was going to lay someone out, but then he turned around on the same shift and put himself into a vulnerable position in the place where Kronwall usually smacks people around. Had his head down and looked completely unaware of where he was on the ice. Luckily for him, it was Ericsson on the ice instead of Kronwall, and he just came and poked the puck past Richards. Still not a good idea considering that he passed Kronwall on the same shift and gave him a little shot, mere seconds earlier.

Timonen was easily the Flyers' best player tonight, but I thought that Hartnell, Coburn and Leino were pretty good too. Briere and Meszaros had their moments too. I thought that Carter and Giroux (and the aforementioned Richards) were pretty unremarkable - break into the zone on their own, try to go wide, when they can't get by the defenseman, shoot it at the goaltender to get the rebound for.. nobody.

Boucher had a couple big saves as well, especially one in the third where Franzen was wide open. Just couldn't get the shot high enough.
It was a pretty solid game for the Flyers. I thought they could have been better in the third. I didn't pay that much attention to the game. A buddy of mine from high school was home from Germany for the first time in years. I really can't remember the last time I saw him, at least 2 or 3 years, so while the game was on, I didn't get to really pay that much attention to it. That call I was talking about on Leino was the only one I really saw that was really bad either way, but like I said, I didn't see the game that close.

What's up with Howard? He's on one of my fantasy rosters and I read he's given up 3+ goals in 7 of his last 10 starts.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That call I was talking about on Leino was the only one I really saw that was really bad either way, but like I said, I didn't see the game that close.
I could have lived without the call on Leino, but I don't think it was an absolutely atrocious call either. Goaltender Interference is a tricky penalty to get a real feel for, I've seen a lot less than that get called, and I've seen a lot more let go because of a little nudge by the defending player. It possibly could have been a makeup call for the missed hook on Hudler, unless I'm off on the timeline a little bit.

What's up with Howard? He's on one of my fantasy rosters and I read he's given up 3+ goals in 7 of his last 10 starts.
He just looks fatigued to me, to be completely honest. Every so often, there are mental mistakes where he just isn't as technically sharp as he was at the start of the season. He should bounce back with a little more rest. Playing fewer games in January than the Red Wings played in December will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts