Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still about 15hr's away from puck drop just thought i would get this up early.

Go devils

Remember everyone.

Devils vs Rangers Friday night on MSG!

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
As the preseason rolled on Wednesday, some teams were hit with more injuries just days before the Sept. 29 season opener:

Rafalski on the mend

RafalskiVeteran defenseman Brian Rafalski, a big offseason free-agent acquisition for the Detroit Red Wings, suffered a hip flexor injury during a team practice Wednesday.

According to multiple reports, he will be re-evaluated Thursday, potentially putting his preseason debut on hold. Rafalski signed a five-year, $30-million deal with the Wings this offseason after spending the first seven years of his career with the New Jersey Devils.

He is expected to be paired with reigning Norris Trophy-winner Nicklas Lidstrom.

White injured; Langenbrunner, Janssen out indefinitely

WhiteWhile the Devils try to turn the page from losing more key players via free agency this offseason (Rafalski, Scott Gomez), the team received some bad news Wednesday.

Defenseman Colin White was hit with a puck just above his right eye during practice while defending 2-on-1s.

"His right eye is still closed because of a severe laceration over the eyelid," Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told reporters. "There is concern for safety anytime you get a puck near the eye. Right now we don't know if there is any damage to the eye because of the swelling."

Meanwhile, the team also found out Jamie Langenbrunner (sports hernia) and Cam Janssen (right shoulder) both need surgery for injuries suffered last season and will be out indefinitely.

ESPN - Wings, Devils, Lightning get hit with injury bug - NHL

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
It'll be interesting to see who ends up playing in Langenbrunner's spot. I'm hoping it's Clarkson, because I really like what he brings to the table and I think he'd benefit from playing on a more offensive line. That would let them keep Brylin with Pandolfo and Madden.

Maybe something like this...

Elias/Zubrus/Gionta
Parise/Zajac/Clarkson
Pandolfo/Madden/Brylin
Rupp/Pelley/Asham

Viuhkola really is the wild card in all of this, because I don't think anybody knows if he'll be able to adapt quickly to the North American game. If he does they could use him on a more skilled fourth line.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bergfors got a point...unless the devils are planning to use him as trade bait...after 3 yrs in lowell i really hope he comes up this yr atleast to replace jamie until he's healthy

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
NJDEVIL30274 said:
Bergfors got a point...unless the devils are planning to use him as trade bait...after 3 yrs in lowell i really hope he comes up this yr atleast to replace jamie until he's healthy
If he can earn himself a roster spot, it gives the Devils some options they haven't really had the last couple years. If Langenbrunner had gone down last year, who knows what would have happened.

As much as losing Langenbrunner for a while sucks, it does give some of the young guys a chance to make the team. If Clarkson, Bergfors, and Viuhkola all make the team, they might actually be able to put together a fourth line that can do more than just run around hitting people and starting fights. Although it looks as if Clarkson is going to start fights regardless of where he plays.:D

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Game Recap

Full Recap:

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) -Kevin Weekes and Frank Doyle combined to make 24 saves, and the New Jersey Devils beat the Boston Bruins 3-0 in a preseason game on Thursday night.

After a scoreless first period, Rod Pelley opened the scoring 9:26 into the second with a shot over the right shoulder of Bruins goalie Manny Fernandez.

Karel Rachunek scored the Devils' second goal 3:49 into the third, and Barry Tallackson netted a power-play goal at 9:52 of the third.

Full Recap: NHL.com - Scores

1 - 14 of 14 Posts