Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
2/3/2007 10:40:53 AM

VANCOUVER (CP) - Finding some elbow room in the tight Northwest Division of the NHL is like battling for space with an elephant in a phone booth.

It's pretty crowded.

The Vancouver Canucks will need a win over the Calgary Flames in Saturday night's game at the Pengrowth Saddledome if they hope to remain first in the packed division. The Canucks then play the Oilers, another division rival, in Edmonton on Tuesday.

The Canucks have won 12 of their last 16 games, but held just a two-point lead over the Flames and Minnesota Wild heading into Friday's games. With the Flames playing the Columbus Blue Jackets Friday night, the Canucks know it will be hard to gain any ground in the standings.

"It's tough to get any gap because a lot of teams are playing well in our division," captain Markus Naslund said after practice Friday. "That's why it's crucial to keep this thing going."

The Canucks 29-19-4 record leaves them with 62 points. Only eight points separate first from last in the division.

Being first in the division is important because it gives a team the third seed in the Western Conference. Drop out of first place and a club quickly tumbles down into eighth or ninth place.

Veteran Canuck Trevor Linden said that Vancouver has to concentrate on the present, not worry about any future playoff positions.

"At this point it's too early to think about that," said Linden. "We want to be focused on the game we are playing. We won't be talking about breathing room until April, maybe, and hopefully it's in our favour."

Vancouver has enjoyed recent success against Calgary. The Canucks have won the last four games against the Flames, outscoring them 15-9. Two of those games were in Calgary.

"Guys are going to have the confidence we can win there," said Canuck goaltender Roberto Luongo. "We are going to have to work hard and play the same type of games we've played there to be successful. It's going to be a tough game, but we know we can pull it off."

The Canucks beat the Flames 3-1 back on Boxing Day. That snapped a three-game Vancouver losing streak and started the Canucks on a seven-game winning spree.

"We started playing pretty well at that time," said Linden. "It does give us a little bit of confidence heading back in there."

"Having said that, they are a good team. It will probably be a game for first place in the Northwest Division. These games keep getting bigger."

The Flames are expected to have captain and leading scorer Jarome Iginla back in the lineup after missing nearly a month with a sprained knee.

"He is a huge part of their team," said Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault. "The games we have played against him we've had some success and done a decent job defensively against him."

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First Period Summary

VANCOUVER 2 @ CALGARY 0 1ST

SCORING SUMMARY

13:18 HENRIK SEDIN, Wrist Shot - Assists: SAMI SALO and DANIEL SEDIN

17:13 DANIEL SEDIN, Slap Shot - Assists: TAYLOR PYATT and LUKAS KRAJICEK

PENALTY SUMMARY

VANCOUVER: 00:33 MITCHELL, W. : Roughing - 2 min

CALGARY: 00:33 IGINLA, J. : Roughing - 2 min

VANCOUVER: 00:41 MORRISON, B. : Interference - Goalkeeper - 2 min

CALGARY: 02:09 LANGKOW, D. : Interference - Goalkeeper - 2 min

CALGARY: 05:51 RITCHIE, B. : Roughing - 2 min

CALGARY: 05:51 RITCHIE, B. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

VANCOUVER: 05:51 BURROWS, A. : Tripping - 2 min

VANCOUVER: 05:51 BURROWS, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

VANCOUVER: 05:51 COWAN, J. : Unsportsmanlike conduct - 2 min

VANCOUVER: 08:07 FITZPATRICK, R. : Tripping - 2 min

SHOTS ON GOAL

Vancouver 12 - Calgary 15

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I always thought those flap things that the goalies wear underneath their helmets were manditory. I never noticed Luongo never wore one.

Anyways if I was a goalie I would wear one, I wouldn't want a guy like Phaneuf's shot to hit me in the throat, Luongo was lucky.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amanda said:
I always thought those flap things that the goalies wear underneath their helmets were manditory. I never noticed Luongo never wore one.

Anyways if I was a goalie I would wear one, I wouldn't want a guy like Phaneuf's shot to hit me in the throat, Luongo was lucky.
I knew they weren't mandatory, buy why would you not want to wear one??

I know some of the goalies say it effects their vision while looking down, but hey, it's better than a career ending injury!!

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Second Period Summary

VANCOUVER 2 @ CALGARY 2 2ND

SCORING SUMMARY

03:54 PPG - DAYMOND LANGKOW, Slap Shot - Assists: ALEX TANGUAY and JAROME IGINLA

13:00 ALEX TANGUAY, Snap Shot - Assists: JAROME IGINLA and CRAIG CONROY

PENALTY SUMMARY

02:39 LINDEN, T. : Tripping - 2 min

03:04 CHOUINARD, M. : Tripping - 2 min

05:36 AMONTE, A. : Slashing - 2 min

19:48 BULIS, J. : Hooking - 2 min

SHOTS ON GOAL

Vancouver 6 - Calgary 14

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Third Period Summary & Final Score

VANCOUVER 3 @ CALGARY 4 3RD

SCORING SUMMARY

08:39 BYRON RITCHIE, Tip-In - Assists: MARK GIORDANO and JEFF FRIESEN

16:39 KRISTIAN HUSELIUS, Snap Shot - Assists: ROBYN REGEHR

18:10 TAYLOR PYATT, Tip-In - Assists: HENRIK SEDIN and KEVIN BIEKSA

PENALTY SUMMARY

02:28 HAMRLIK, R. : Holding - 2 min

04:16 PYATT, T. : Hooking - 2 min

09:31 AMONTE, A. : Interference - 2 min

12:22 BURROWS, A. : Hi-sticking - 2 min

SHOTS ON GOAL

Vancouver 10 (28) - Calgary 13 (42)

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tanguay helps Flames over Canucks

Calgary, AB (Sports Network) - Alex Tanguay had a goal and an assist to lead the Calgary Flames to a big 4-3 victory over the Vancouver Canucks at Pengrowth Saddledome.

Byron Ritchie, Daymond Langkow and Kristian Huselius each tallied a goal for the Flames, who have won their last three games. Miikka Kiprusoff made 25 saves in the win.

Taylor Pratt, Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin each had a goal and an assist for the Canucks, who have lost two of their last three games.

Vancouver opened up the scoring when Henrik Sedin found the back of the net for his seventh goal of the season with 6:42 to play.

Daniel Sedin increased the Canucks lead to 2-0 less than four minutes later with his 20th goal of the campaign.

Calgary got on the scoreboard in the second with a power play goal courtesy of Langkow just 3:54 into the frame.

The Flames tied the game when, on a 2-on-1, Jarome Iginla fed the disc under the stick of a Vancouver defenseman to Tanguay, who rifled a shot into the right corner of the net with seven minutes left in the second.

Calgary took its first lead of the game 8:39 into the third period. Jeff Friesen blasted a shot from the top of the left circle that Luongo made a kick save on. The rebound bounced out all the way to the right circle and Mark Giordano blasted a shot that Ritchie tipped into the net for a 3-2 lead.

FULL STORY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts