Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@

Winning their first game back after the All-star break on home ice, where the team has struggled for most of the season, the Toronto Maple Leafs travel to Carolina to begin a 5-game road trip when they face the Hurricanes Tuesday night.

The Leafs' 4-1 Victory over the Canadiens was one of their best performances at the Air Canada Center all season, with Defenceman Pavel Kubina scoring 2 goals and adding 1 Assit while Goaltender Andrew Raycroft turned away 27 of 28 shots aimed towards against.

Pavel Kubina said:
"We played a great defensive game, even offensively we played well. We had a lot of chances 5-on-5. I thought the special teams, especially the power play, was unbelievable. We deserved the victory, we dominated them for the whole game pretty much."
Mats Sundin and Jeff O'Neill added the other 2 goals for Toronto, who are now 23-21-6 after 50 games for 52 Points on the season. The win keeps them 2 wins out of the last spot in the Eastern Conference (Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Rangers).

Related Topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/toronto-maple-leafs/7542-gameday-50-toronto-maple-leafs-vs.html

Defenceman Ian White is expected to return to the line-up tonight in place of Brendan Bell, while the Leafs will continue to be without Winger Darcy Tucker (Foot) fo an unknown period of time, and Centerman Kyle Wellwood for 7 weeks.

Related Topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/toronto-maple-leafs/7599-white-return-tuesday-bell-sent-down.html
Related Topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/toronto-maple-leafs/7382-wellwood-miss-two-months.html
Related Topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/toronto-maple-leafs/7477-leafs-miss-tuckers-grit-more-than.html

Andrew Raycroft, whose performance was no less a part of the victory in Toronto last Saturday, currently has a high 3.04 Goals Against Average and an .894 Save percentage for the Leafs after 41 games. He is a 21-16-4 overall in that span.

Leaf Captain Mats Sundin continues to lead the team with 43 points (19G, 24A) and is tied for the team lead in goals with the injured Darcy Tucker.

Toronto remains 4th in the Northeast division, trailing the Buffalo Sabres by 18 Points.

The Carolina Hurricanes have lost 3 of their last 4 games, their last being a 7-3 loss to the Washington Capitals.

Related Topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/washington-capitals/7556-ovechkin-semin-lead-caps-victory.html

The 'Canes are 6 points ahead of the Leafs in the Eastern Conference standings, their struggles as of late slowly stalling their chase of home-ice with the Montreal Canadiens' victory over the Ottawa Senators last night. Carolina is now 3 points back and have 1 less game to play. They also trail the Senators in the standings currently sitting 6th in the East.

Veteran winger Ray Whitney, who was passed over as an All-Star for teammates Eric Staal and Justin Williams, leads the team with 57 Points in 52 Games (20G, 37A).

Captain Rod Brind'Amour, also passed over, is 2nd on the team in points with 54 Points in 48 Games played. (14G, 40A). Brind'Amour is on pace for his best season in a decade, possibly passing his numbers from last year where he led his team to the Stanley Cup Championship.

Meanwhile, 'Canes Goaltender Cam Ward remains with the starting job between the pipes for Carolina with a 21-13-5 record after 40 games, and a 2.90 Goals Against Average and .897 Save Percentage.

Tonight's game will be the 3rd meeting of the season between the to 2 teams, with Toronto winning the first 4-3 in Carolina, and Carolina winning the second 4-1 in Toronto.

The Leafs' last loss to Carolina was in huge part to their undisciplined play in the 2nd Period. The their performance on Saturday didn't do much to change that with them taking 10 penalties in their win over Montreal, but they look to cut down on that department when they visit Carolina to start their roadtrip.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The game is at 7:00 PM (LeafsTV only).

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
The game is at 7:00 PM (LeafsTV only).
Damn! I just cancelled LeafsTV (my cable bill was, I'm not kidding $170). I'm working anyways so I wouldn't be able to watch it.

I hope the game against Montreal was a turning point. A chance for this team to understand that by playing a complete 60 minutes they can run with the big boys in the league. I expect another big game out of Razor and Mats if the Leafs are going to come away with some points in this one.

As always, great GDT thread Be-Leaf!

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Toronto kicks off long trek in Carolina

(Sports Network) - The Toronto Maple Leafs will begin their longest road trip of the season tonight, when they visit the Carolina Hurricanes at RBC Center.

The Maple Leafs have won three of their last four games and were able to beat the arch-rival Montreal Canadiens on Saturday. Pavel Kubina notched a pair of goals and also added an assist to lift Toronto to the 4-1 home victory.

Jeff O'Neill had a goal and one assist while Mats Sundin also tallied for the Leafs. Matt Stajan added a pair of helpers and Andrew Raycroft stopped 27- of-28 shots faced for Toronto.

Toronto has been a better team on the road this season and is sporting a 12-9-3 record as the visitor. The Leafs continue this five-game swing Wednesday against the New York Rangers.

The Hurricanes, meanwhile, will try to put their recent struggles behind them tonight. Carolina has dropped three of their last four games and was demolished in Washington on Saturday. Alexander Semin scored two goals and added an assist to lead the Capitals to a 7-3 rout.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have leafs tv, thank god I do! Anyway another important game, please win it leafers!

GO LEAFS GO!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Shookem. :)

I don't have LeafsTV, but I don't plan on getting it any time soon either.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 1 16:00 Tor B. Battaglia (8) J. Pohl (10) I. White (17)
2 1 16:06 Car R. Whitney (21) D. Seidenberg (5) R. Brind'amour (41)

I hope the time isn't wrong.

Did Carolina really tie the game just 6 seconds after Toronto took the lead?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still 1-1 after the 2nd/

Shots 21-24 in favour of the Leafs. (14-4 Toronto in the First, 17-10 for Carolina in the 2nd)

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Um... I hope my scoredboard isn't wacked.

2-1 Toronto, and it's the end of the 3rd...

And it's just past 9:00PM ET? :dunno:

Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently, they did screw up.

The Leafs did win, but the final score was actually 4-1, not 2-1.

Antopov scored 2, and Kaberle added in the empty-netter

3 3 0:37 Tor N. Antropov (7) M. Sundin (25) T. Kaberle (33)
4 3 16:00 Tor N. Antropov (8) B. Mccabe (28)
5 3 19:40 Tor T. Kaberle (9) C. Kilger (10) B. Battaglia (13)

Shots were 38-29 in favour of the Leafs.

Definitely a great start to their roadtrip. Can't wait to see the highlites.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEAH :D :D :D Oh yeah, nhl.com was saying 2-1 end of 3rd while the game was still in progress, lmao, they've been screwed up all night! :laugh:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I knew there was something wierd. I couldn't see the game, but it's usually around 9:30PM that it ends. Only way it could have ended a half hour earlier is if there was no whistle or commercial break for pretty much the whole game. :laugh:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Antropov scores twice as Leafs beat Canes

Associated Press
1/30/2007 10:00:44 PM

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Nik Antropov scored two third-period goals to lead the Toronto Maple Leafs to a 4-1 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday night.

Bates Battaglia and Tomas Kaberle, into the empty net, had the other goals for Toronto. Andrew Raycroft stopped 28 shots.

Toronto outshot Carolina 38-29 and won for the fourth time in five games.

Ray Whitney scored and Cam Ward stopped 34 shots for the Hurricanes, who have dropped four of five.

Ward was pulled for an extra attacker with about 2½ minutes remaining, but the Hurricanes couldn't get anything going against Raycroft.

Antropov put Toronto ahead for good 37 seconds into the third. Kaberle started the play with a slapshot from the point that was stopped by Ward. Antropov then backhanded the puck past the diving goalie to make it 2-1.

Antropov scored again with about four minutes left. He took the puck behind the net, made a move on Scott Walker and tucked the puck off the back of Ward's left skate.

Battaglia put the Maple Leafs up 1-0 with six minutes remaining in the first when he tipped in the rebound of John Pohl's shot from the left circle for his first goal in five games.

Whitney tied it two minutes later when he took a pass from Dennis Seidenberg, moved through Toronto's defence and stuffed the puck between Raycroft's pads for his 21st goal.

FULL STORY

1 - 16 of 16 Posts