Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... Gotta' try this thing out eventually. :D

The Leafs host the Panthers at the ACC tonight at 7:30 ET.

Coming off a shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto looks to bounce back quickly and get back on track.

The Panthers are also trying to pick themselves back up, after a 6-0 pounding at the hands of the Atlanta Thrashers.

It's been a different looking team this year with Paul Maruice behind the bench.

The team has shown persitency and hustle that was missing in the 2005/2006 campaign. The team is a little faster, a little more conscious of play in their own end of the ice, and a little more willing to go for the win on the whole.

New Leaf netminder, Andrew Raycroft, has quietly had 3 consecutive solid performances to begin his career as a Maple Leaf. He's flashing a 1.63 Goals Against Average, and (for those of us who didn't expect it) a surprising .951 Save Percentage. Will he follow in the footsteps of the great Leaf goaltending of the last decade? We'll see tonight.

As for the rest of the team, Kyle Wellwood has been scoreless thus far, but has 5 assists in 3 games. Darcy Tucker leads the team with 3 goals.

The Panthers bring over Todd Bertuzzi, who will face the Leafs in Toronto for the first time as a Panther.

Todd Bertuzzi (2004) said:
Everyone wants to beat the Leafs
Bertuzzi leads the team with 4 points in 2 games.

Also, former Leafs Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk come to visit again. Whether the Eagle will get the start against his former team or not is unknown at the time.

Your thoughts on tonight's game...

Hopefully we can get more info before and after games.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those wondering, there will be no Ed Belfour in Tonight's game:

Eagle grounded for T.O. return

Sportsnet.ca -- In his first visit back to Toronto as a member of the Florida Panthers, Ed Belfour will be watching the action from the bench as Alex Auld will start in goal tonight against the Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre.

The Leafs decided against keeping the veteran goaltender at the end of last season, instead acquiring the much younger Andrew Raycroft. So far, the move appears to have been the right one for the Leafs.

The 41-year-old Belfour spent the previous three seasons with Toronto, going 93-61-4 along with 11 ties while posting a 2.51 goals-against average and .912 save percentage. He went 22-22-4 last season and recorded a 3.29 ERA, his highest since 1996-97 when he was with San Jose.

The Maple Leafs (1-1-1), who had their string of six straight playoff appearances snapped last season, chose not to pick up Belfour's option, making him a free agent.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I was wondering if Eddie would be playing tonight, thx for clearing that up.

It should be a great game, as you said there's enough ex-Leafs on this panthers team to file a class action suite agaisnt the Buds.

Florida may have turned a big corner during the offseason and could be developing into an early season surprise. Wouldn't it be funny if it happened after they got rid of the ace goalie.

I definatly think it's a winnable game for the Leafs.

Nice thread BTW, I like it a lot.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. :D

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh man. Auld was spectacular, but we still got away with it.

And in that dreaded shooutout too.

2-1 Leafs, Final/SO.

It seemed like it was going to be one of those games where the opposing team steals the victory, but the Leafs came through in the end. Kyle Wellwood my boy with an awesome slapper shortside to tie it. :D

Mats won it in the Shootout. Those two had a ton of chances tonight.

And Raycroft is still boosting his stats. Nice save on Bertuzzi, and nice goal by Tucker to seal it.

That sucks for Auld though. Toronto outshot the Panthers 48-25, finally showing some dominance out there and let the other team know they're on the ice too.

I really like how things are going with Maurice behind the bench so far, and I hope they continue to go this way.

Argos won too. Woo hoo! :D

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Leafs beat Panthers in a shootout

Canadian Press
10/9/2006 11:56:38 PM

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Maple Leafs launched 86 shots on goal this weekend but came up with only three goals. Luckily for them they also picked up three out of a possible four points in the standings.

Mats Sundin and Darcy Tucker rescued the Maple Leafs with shootout goals as Toronto came from behind to beat the Florida Panthers 2-1 Monday night despite a 47-save effort from opposing netminder Alex Auld.

''I like the way out team is playing,'' said Tucker, whose nifty backhand deke ended the night. ''We're putting pucks on net. Obviously I'd be happier if more were going in but we're getting stoned by hot goalies. It will come.''

The Leafs were still scoreless through 40 minutes, despite 36 shots on goal, and wondering what exactly it would take to beat the red-hot Auld.

''You look at the shot clock after two periods and you're wondering what's going on,'' said Sundin. ''But we didn't get down on ourselves. It's almost nicer to win this way because we found a way.''

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=180331&hubname=nhl

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darcy Tucker said:
''I like the way out team is playing. We're putting pucks on net. Obviously I'd be happier if more were going in but we're getting stoned by hot goalies. It will come.''
Exactly! And I can't help but say that I'm loving it. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts