Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After defeating the defending Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes in a road victory the night before and giving them their first back to back wins since November, the Maple Leafs return home to face Jaromir Jagr and the New York Rangers Saturday night. (7:00PM ET, CBC)

Alexander Steen scored his first goal in 26 games late in the 3rd Period to help Toronto to a 4-3 victory over the Hurricanes.

Mats Sundin had 2 goals and 1 assist for 3 Points on the night, passing John Beliveau on the All-time goals list with 508, and Dave Keon for 2nd on the All-time Maple Leafs points list with 858.

Related Topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/toronto-maple-leafs/5354-gameday-33-toronto-maple-leafs-carolina.html

Bryan McCabe had the other goal for Toronto who are now 15-13-5, and have passed Carolina (who they were trailing in the standings to start the game) with 35 Points. The Leafs are currently in possesiong of the last Playoff spot in the Eastern Conference behind the 6th and 7th place Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals. Toronto is also 3rd in the Northeast Divison behind the Montreal Canadiens and the Buffalo Sabres.

The Leafs played with effort not seen all month, and the win was possibly their best game in December.

Mats Sundin said:
''We knew that they've struggled a little bit, just like us, and we knew they were going to come out hard, so we wanted to make sure that we matched their work ethic''.
Andrew Raycroft stopped 29 of 32 shots, and is now 13-10-3 through 25 games played. He owns a 2.94 Goals Against Average and .900 Save Percentage.

Darcy Tucker leads the team in goals with 18, and in Points along with Bryan McCabe. Both have 29 in 33 Games Played.

The New York Rangers lead their Atlantic Division with 40 Points, are are currently ranked 3rd in the Eastern Conference with an 18-10-4 record through 32 games.

Their lastest game was 5-2 win over the Dallas Stars,

Related topic: http://www.hockeyforum.com/new-york-rangers/5350-rangers-extend-win-streak-five-games.html

Brendan Shanahan leads the team in Goals with 22, and Jaromir Jagr is 2nd in the NHL in scoring race with 44 Points, 7 behind Sydney Crosby.

Henrik Lyundvist is 14-7-2 after 24 games played and his Goals Against Average is currently at 2.87, along with a .904 Save Percentage.

The last game between the two Original 6 teams was in October, where the Rangers eked out a 5-4 shootout win over the Leafs.

This is the 2nd of 4 meetings between the two clubs.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Leafs host Jagr and Rangers

Sports Ticker
12/16/2006 12:00:22 PM

TORONTO (Ticker) - No question Brendan Shanahan and Jaromir Jagr are the highest profile players on the New York Rangers, but its been Matt Cullen who has the hot hand.

Cullen, who has three goals in his last two games, leads the Rangers against the Maple Leafs in Toronto on Saturday.

The center scored twice in New York's fifth straight victory, a 5-2 triumph over the Dallas Stars on Thursday. Karel Rachunek scored twice while Fedor Tyutin scored the other New York goal.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If Toronto comes to play, it should be a great game.

And that's Post #1234 for ya'. :D

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
IDK about the Intro b/c I have never seen it !!!

I hope the Leafs beat the NYR.

Go Leafs !!!!

I Cannot believe I am actually supporting Toronto :D

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Sabres Fan said:
I Cannot believe I am actually supporting Toronto :D
lol its not so bad I cheer for Toronto every once and a while depends on who they are playing of course.

Score is 3-1 for Toronto
Toronto goal: 5:33 - Carlo Colaiacovo
Toronto goal: 6:00 - Alexei Ponikarovsky
New York goal: 11:16 Darius Kasparaitis (first goal since Dec 20 2003)
Toronto goal: 14:19 Kyle Wellwood

Shots on goal 12-4 for Toronto.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Wellwoods 2nd goal of the night!! And while I am typing this John Pohl just scored!! 5-1 for the Leafs.

Wellwoods goal at 16:38.
Pohls goal at 16:53.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5-1! Oh, I hope they don't blow this lead.

Cola and Pohl got some of the goals. It's great when they get one, especially Pohl. He works so hard out there.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
5-1! Oh, I hope they don't blow this lead.

Cola and Pohl got some of the goals. It's great when they get one, especially Pohl. He works so hard out there.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. It's 6-1 now, Pohl gets his third of the season.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
8-1?! This is something, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
8-1?! This is something, isn't it?
I know, poor Lundqvist has let in all eight goals (16 for 24).

8-1 Leafs end of two.

Scoring Summary
1st Period

Toronto 5:33, Carlo Colaiacovo 1 (Jeff O'Neill, Bates Battaglia)
Toronto 6:00, Alexei Ponikarovsky 10 (Mats Sundin, Kyle Wellwood)
NY Rangers 11:16, Darius Kasparaitis 1 (Jaromir Jagr, Michael Nylander)
Toronto 14:19, Kyle Wellwood 7 (Alexei Ponikarovsky, Pavel Kubina)
Toronto 16:38, Kyle Wellwood 8 (power play) (Darcy Tucker, Tomas Kaberle)
Toronto 16:53, Johnny Pohl 3 (power play) (Alexei Ponikarovsky, Ian White)
2nd Period
Toronto 5:18, Kyle Wellwood 9 (Mats Sundin, Hal Gill)
Toronto 9:51, Darcy Tucker 19 (Bryan McCabe, Tomas Kaberle)
Toronto 13:27, Alexei Ponikarovsky 11 (Kyle Wellwood, Ian White)

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's 5 Points for Kyle Wellwood (3G, 2A), and 4 on the night for Alexei Ponikarovsky (2G, 2A).

Lundqvist is way off tonight. He let in quite a few weak ones, and his rebounds were terrible. Then again, the team in front of him isn't playing any better. The Leafs are skating circles around the Rangers d-men. A poor showing by them.

Did you just see Colaiacovo carry out the puck? The guy has such poise and confidence. He just skates out with the puck so well. It's beautiful.

8-2. Jagr made a great play to Straka.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darcy Tucker looks like he's out with a wrist injury. There isn't much word on how serious it is, but I'll say that the blast came from Brendan Shanahan of all people.

That's not good at all. He's been tremendous for Toronto this year, especially his one-timer on the Powerplay.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Great win by Toronto! Kyle Wellwood got a hat trick and 5 points tonight and Alexei Ponikarovsky also got 5 points.

Shots on goal: 32-13 for the leafs.

NHL 3 stars.
#1 Kyle Wellwood
#2 Alexei Ponikarovsky
#3 Mats Sundin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts