Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After being outshot 43-25 in a 4-2 loss to the Ed Belfour and the Florida Panthers on Thursday night, the Toronto Maple Leafs must try and recover quickly and regroup before facing what could be their toughest test of the season to date: The Buffalo Sabres.

The Leafs are on the road to face the 11-0-1 Sabres tonight at 7:00PM ET.

Led by the charge of Chris Drury's 10 goals, Daniel Briere's 12 assists, and Maxim Afinogenov's 19 points, it's 12 games in and the well-balanced Sabres are still going strong after rallying from a 3-goal deficit to defeat the Boston Bruin 5-4 in the shootout.

Ryan Miller said:
"I still can't believe it happened. I guess that's what we're capable of. We were in a deep hole. This shows we don't quit."
The Leafs meanwhile are, well... showing signs of something good. They've been mostly inconsistent this year, but before the loss they had finally strung 2 wins together, before having their 3-game winning streak ended by Florida.

Despite losing Tim Connolly (who's been placed on LTI for the year), Buffalo boasts a quick and powerful offence, and a solid defence, backed by 1-2 duo in nets of starting goaltender Ryan Miller (2.5 Goals Agaianst Average, and a .916 Save Percentage) and Martin Biron (2.5 Goals against Average, and 9.21 Save Percentage).

Tonight's game is a vital one for Toronto, a chance to see where they measure up against what is currently the best team in the National Hockey League so far this season.

With Back-up goaltender J.S. Aubin getting the start in their last game, Andrew Raycroft will have to be at his best in Buffalo on Saturday night, as he will surely get the start in goal.

Darcy Tucker leads the Leafs with 9 goals (6 on the Powerplay), while both him and Captain Mats Sundin are tied for the team lead in points, with 15 in 15 (Sundin 6G, 9A). Tomas Kaberle continued to extend his point streak, now reaching 4 games after getting 2 assists in the loss to the Panthers (5G, 4A).

Toronto is 7-5-3 in their first 15 games, and trail the Northeast division leading Buffalo by 6 points.

This is the 1st of 8 meetings between the two clubs in their 82 game schedule, as the NHL is now discussing ways to vary the amount of games played between divisional teams.

Toronto's forward have only scored 5 of the team's last 13 goals.

Your thoughts....

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I can't wait for this one but I kinda worried it'll get ugly. I don't think the Leafs have a chance the way the fowards are scoring lately but hopefully Pecca, Tucker etc can shut down some of Buffalo's top guns.

I guess the Sabres are the only NE team that the Leafs haven't play yet, tons of points are at steak in the series.

I dunno, it'd be pretty sweet if the Leafs were the team to beat the Sabres in regulation.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, look at that! First team to hand Buffalo a loss in regulation time this year. :D

Nice job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts