Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wish I had put this up earlier.

Oh well, there's usally more post-game talk than pre-game talk anyway.

In their 10th game of the Regular Season, the Toronto Maple Leafs host the Ottawa Senators in the beginning of back-to-back games against the club, and the 3rd of 4 meetings this month.

Toronto is coming off of a 5-4 Shootout loss to the New York Rangers on Saturday night, where Darcy Tucker continued his great start to the season with another goal to make his total 7 on the year. Alexei Ponikaorvsky also had a strong game, but Brendan Shanahan, Jaromir Jagr, too many penalties, bad decisions in the defencive zone, and Toronto's shootout problems proved to be the difference in the match.

Raycroft also looked average compared to the way he's been playing so far this year. He currently holds a 2.43 Goals Against Average, and .915 Save Percentage.

The loss also has Toronto trying to start another win streak, something they have yet to accomplish this year: 2 straight wins.

The Leafs are currently 4-2-3

The Senators on the other hand, are coming off of an 8-1 romping of the new Jersey Devils. After some fan and media pressure, the Senators had their best game of the season, with Dean McAmmond and Antoine Vermette netting 2 goals each, and Jason Spezza, Tom Preissing, Joe Corvo, and Dany Heatley adding to the tally.

Spezza, who has lately been in some hot water with some of the on-ice decisions he's been making, had 3 points on the night (1G, 2A), along with McAmmond (2G, 1A).

Preissing and Corvo had their 1st as Senators.

The Senators won the 1st meeting with Toronto 4-1 and spoiled the Leafs' home opener, with Martin Gerber playing a strong game and keeping the Leafs off the scoresheet early. One night later, Toronto returned the favour in a 6-0 shutout of the Senators with Andrew Raycroft getting his 1st win as a Leaf.

Although Ottawa back-up goaltender, Ray Emery, who has a 1.42 Goals Against Average and 9.52 Save Percentage, has been solid for the Senators early on in this campaign, tonight's game will feature Martin Gerber in net for Ottawa. Gerber currently holds a 3.30 Goals against Average, and a .898 Save Percentage.

It is unknown who will start Thursday night in Ottawa, but it is expected to be Emery.

Ottawa is 3-4-0 to start the season.

Paul Maurice said:
"We know what they did last game. They're feeling good about themselves now. We'll have our hands full."

Puck-drop in a few minute - Game on! :cool:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Darn. Mike Fisher just scored on a nice play by the Sens. Guess who blew the play on defense, Belak.

I think Maurice knows what he's doing playing three lines.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Man, the Leafs look weak in the first so far. They're getting out shot 11-3 and down 2-0. Ottawa looks like a team that can score eight goals and Toronto looks like a team that could help them.

:thumbsdow The good news is Belak just got a penalty so he won't be able to do any damage for a while :mad:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're down 4-0 now, and it's not looking good.

Belak really hruts the team. Not only his play, but his penalties. He's not and NHL defenceman, and he's not an NHL forward. He even cowarded in his fight with McGratton. I mean, what was that? Either you fight, or you don't.

5-0 now.

Poor defencive coverage out there.

I don't think I can find a goal that was Raycroft's fault yet.

The 1st was Belak on the 2-on-1 (where he left Fisher to go in on a half breakaway)

The 2nd was tipped in by Kilger.

The 3rd was weak coverage in front of the net by Hal Gill (Eaves was just sitting behind him, waiting for the puck).

The 4th was Bryan McCabe. not wort hthe mony at all for his poor defencive game.

The 5th was the puck bouncing off Tomas Kaberle's skate, and going ot Heatley, who shot it into the yawning net.

Oh, 5-1 now. Matt Stajan. He and O'Neill have been good tonight.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tucker just took Eaves out in a fight. I hope that'll spark the team after Stajan's goal, but they're really not playing well....

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... well. A lot to think about after this one.

6-2 Final for Ottawa.

Sundin scored a fluke goal to move him all alone into 2nd all-time on the Leafs total goals list with 366. I think Gerber he has a weak glove hand. He has an unusual amount of trouble trying to snatch one out of the air. I was thinking that the Leafs should try to expose it a bit more, but they didn't. And he doesn't let out big rebounds, but he can't hold on to the puck well when it hits him.

The crowd was booing the team. I'm not going to say that they had no reason to be angry. It's almost as if Richard Peddie had threatened Paul Maurice or something. What was with the line combinations? I hope it was just some experimentation, because whatever was going on out there was beginning to remind of Pat Quinn when he was with the team.

The Tucker-Sundin-Wellwood was money, and the Ponikarovsky-Stajan-O'Neill line was beginning to meld together well. What happened? Why was Battaglia on the top line for most of the 1st half of the game, and why was Belak out there so much?

I sure hope Pavel Kubina returns soon. Bryan McCabe is just isn't good enough. I can't believe that deal. Shoot! :mad:

And I'm just not liking Wade Belak. He's not an NHLer, and he brings nothing of significance to the team.

I also don't like Ben Ondrus. He plays hard, but so do many players. He's not good defencively or offencively, so why not keep playing Suglobov?

And of course, some very selfish penalties out there. I thought that they would try to dust themselves off of that loss to the Rangers on Saturday, but clearly they haven't.

What happened? Where's the hard work theteam had before? Now there are just a lot of selfish penalties. Chad Kilger's comes to mind. What was with the stick between the legs? He could very wll be suspended. We don't know right now.

Raycroft... well, I just don't see any goal I can blame him on. The defence is eerily beginning to resemble that of how it was in front of Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour, and that's not a good thing.

They lost a chance to come away with something before they hit the raod in Ottawa and go for 2 weeks away from the ACC. It'll be a much bigger battle uphill nw than it would have been if they had at least played a respectable game tonight. Only Darcy Tucker, Matt Stajan, and a few others showed up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
lets just say were not being the best we can...GOD!..this bites...its a repeat of last year..its sad..really sad..they need to wake up...put pressure on the other team..skate everywhere..SHOOT AT THE NET...i dno..the two games vs sens was horrible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts