Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
9/6/2006 11:33:56 AM

When the Flyers open training camp on September 15th, they will be without forward Simon Gagne, unless they can agree to a new contract with the restricted free agent.

"I talked with my agent, and we think it would be too dangerous to go to camp with no contract," Gagne told the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday, referring to Bob Sauve. "Basically, we want a contract before I go to camp. If not, I'm not going to go."

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
275 Posts
GAGNE AND FLYERS a WAY AWAY

9/7/2006 12:55:04 PM

When the Flyers open training camp on September 15th, they will be without forward Simon Gagne, unless they can agree to a new contract with the restricted free agent.

"I talked with my agent, and we think it would be too dangerous to go to camp with no contract," Gagne told the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday, referring to Bob Sauve. "Basically, we want a contract before I go to camp. If not, I'm not going to go."

General manager Bob Clarke and Sauve talked yesterday, but the two sides remain far apart.

"We offered Simon $5 million a year for four years and $5 million a year for five years," Clarke said. "We haven't been unfair to Simon Gagne. The statistics and everything else back it up. We didn't just pull these numbers out of the air. We did it professionally."

Sauve said Tuesday he would prefer three years and indicated there was mutual agreement there. Clarke said otherwise.

Click here to find out more!

"We have not talked three years," Clarke said. "Would we go three? We might but not for $5 million. If we're going to go that high [in dollars], we need to get some years out of it."

Sauve told the Philadelphia Inquirer that the length of the contract, a three year deal, had been worked out, but the two sides remained "a ways away" when it came to salary.

Sauve also conceded that time was running out. "Do I feel good about still having a week to negotiate? Not really," he told the Inquirer.

Earlier in the off-season, another Sauve client, Alex Tanguay inked a three-year deal with the Calgary Flames with an average yearly salary of $5.25 million.

"I guess Tanguay has won a Stanley Cup," Clarke said. "It's hard to say this is an exact comparable or that is an exact comparable. [Daniel] Briere played 52 games last year and got $5 million from the arbitrator. That is a horrible ruling. Should we be held to that? I don't think so."

Gagne is reportedly asking for $5 million to $6 million a year.

With files from the Philadelphia Inquirer.

gagne asking for too much for flyers..... i mean i would think eh is abt 4 million a year!

TSN: CANADA'S TOP SPORTs LEADER

1 - 3 of 3 Posts