Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
11/3/2006 4:08:50 PM

VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) - Peter Forsberg wasn't going to let his temper get him in trouble twice in one night.

The Philadelphia Flyers captain says he was so angry after Thursday's 5-2 loss to Tampa Bay that he left the arena without talking to the media to avoid a possible fine for criticizing officials.

With 4:10 left in the third period and the Flyers trailing 3-2, Forsberg was whistled for a high-sticking penalty. When he argued the call, he was assessed a double minor for high-sticking and unsportsmanlike conduct, plus a 10-minute misconduct, knocking him out of the game for the final minutes.

"I was just so mad, I knew I was going to get fined if I said anything," Forsberg said Friday after practice.

Forsberg says he was frustrated because the referees didn't called a penalty on a Tampa player for hooking him just before he was whistled for high-sticking.

"You want to win the game; you're so close," Forsberg said. "We battled back and it could have been a huge win. It's pretty frustrating.

"I don't usually criticize the refs, but it's tough when you try to do your best and you don't get a fair chance."

The Flyers are off to a disappointing 3-8-1 start and Forsberg admits that might have played a role in the outburst.

"I don't think it's a good thing that I took the penalties," he said. "But at least we showed emotion in the third period. We tried to come back."

The Flyers again struggled early. They have been outscored 34-15 in the first two periods this season.

FULL STORY

1 - 1 of 1 Posts