Hockey Fan Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard talk about putting foil on your gloves for when you fight. How does this affect anything, and why would someone do that? Or maybe I'm just dumb and I'm hearing things...

-Phil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I can think of would be that the light reflects off of the foil and screws with your eyes so you can't see the punch coming as easily.

-Phil

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I've heard talk about putting foil on your gloves for when you fight. How does this affect anything, and why would someone do that? Or maybe I'm just dumb and I'm hearing things...

-Phil
Not your gloves, you tape it on your hands...haven't you ever seen Slapshot?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not your gloves, you tape it on your hands...haven't you ever seen Slapshot?
Phil, if you haven't seen this movie, you need to! It is the premier movie about hockey (of course, there's not that many to choose from)!

There's a great scene where the Hanson Brothers are putting on the foil before the game. I couldn't find a clip of it on YouTube, but here's a look at a shirt they sell about that line in the movie.

http://www.distantreplays.com/distant/product.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3174&pf_id=PAAAIAEKFOAAOKDC&

·
Registered
20 Posts

-Phil
Maybe the foil in the grocery store was talking to you!

Never heard of it, I doub't they (the refs) would allow such a thing; it sounds kinda bizarre....playing with FOIL on your gloves?!:confusedb

·
Registered
106 Posts
I won't mock the question but this is really cut and dry. You don't put foil on your gloves, you put them on your hands. More specifically, your fingers/knuckles. Foil is taped onto the hands to create a harder surface during a fight. Not to mention a jagged surface. You can easily cut the opponent with foil.

As mentioned, the Hanson bros. are seen "putting on the foil" in a classic scene from the classic movie Slap Shot. A real must see really.

In reality, this practice is banned in all levels of play I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts