81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Schultz kills 'em with words, not fists

Shawn P. Roarke / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

Dave Schultz doesn't believe his career as a hockey player was a joke, but that doesn't stop him from presently soliciting laughs at his own expense.

Now 55 and more than two decades removed from his tenure as the biggest bully on Philadelphia's legendary "Broad Street Bullies" team, Schultz has leveraged his hockey fame to embark on a new career as a motivational speaker.

"I used to only do maybe four or six or eight speaking things a year," says Schultz, who also owns a limousine company in the Philadelphia area and runs a sports memorabilia business. "I'm hoping to get up to 50 to 80 (engagements) a year. Obviously, I 'm still developing my talk, but also materials to market myself."

His enthusiasm for this new endeavor is such that Schultz even took a comedy class to help bolster the material at his disposal. That class allowed Schultz to further refine his natural sense of self-deprecating humor.

"There's two facets to public speaking," explains Schultz. "One is to be kind of entertaining. The other is to be motivational. I eventually want to have more of a motivational talk, as well as be entertaining. I don't want to be a stand-up comedian, I want to be a comedic speaker and there's a difference between the two.

"Taking that comedy class really helped. I haven't put as much time and effort into learning how to write jokes. When I talk, for the most part, I make fun of myself, about different things in the game. Things anybody can relate to, but more so, I guess, if you are a hockey fan, or more so if you followed my career."

Schultz's eight-year career was short by today's standards where many players have been able to forge careers lasting 15 years or longer. Schultz's heyday was even shorter, encompassing mainly the four-year stint he spent with the Flyers to open his NHL career.

But, during those four years in Philadelphia, Schultz accomplished enough to make himself a permanent part of the city's sporting landscape. He also laid the foundation for what would prove to be a life-long affiliation with hockey in one form or another.

He has coached in various minor leagues and he has signed on as an owner in yet another league. Today, he still remains involved as the president of the Flyers' alumni association. He is also planning other hockey-related ventures going forward.

All of those opportunities were made possible by his tenure as the Flyers' main source of mayhem during the championship run.

From the start of the 1972-73 season, when he joined the NHL full-time, through his trade from the Flyers to the Los Angeles Kings to start the 1976-77 season, Schultz was omnipresent in the City of Brotherly Love. His rough-and-ready style, as well as his devastating punching power — hence the nickname "The Hammer" — played to rave reviews in a city that revels in its image as a tough town.

From the moment he joined the Flyers, Schultz was ready to take on all comers — no matter their size or pedigree. He quickly became the embodiment of the no-holds-barred style that would propel the franchise to its greatest glories.

In 1974, the Flyers marched to their first of back-to-back Stanley Cups. Schultz was in the vanguard, registering 20 goals and 349 penalty minutes. In 17 postseason games, he added 139 more minutes in the box. The next year, Schultz compiled a personal-best 472 minutes — which still stands to this day as the NHL record — as the Flyers defended their title.

After returning to the finals the next year — only to lose to Montreal — Schultz was shipped to the Kings as management began the breakup of the team many believed had reached its peak two years earlier. That was the beginning of the end for Schultz as an active player. He kicked around for a few more years with short stays in L.A., Pittsburgh and Buffalo. But, quickly, the life of top heavyweight in the NHL became a tough one to endure. Suddenly, everyone looking to make a name wanted a piece of "The Hammer."

Schultz admits he spent many a gameday thinking about potential challengers in that night's game. It was — especially on nights he played traditional rivals like Boston's Terry O'Reilly — a stressful existence. One he tired of as his career moved forward.

"It was pretty nerve wracking, I guess, thinking about it and preparing," says Schultz. "It was just something that I felt I had to do to have success at that level, so I did it."

And, he has never apologized for making a living with his fists. Not that he should. Schultz knows that he served a valuable purpose for his team and his teammates during the NHL's wilder days nearly a quarter century ago.

"There is an absolute and unbelievable purpose for fighting in hockey," he says, arguing for its place even in the new-look NHL to debut come October. "I'd argue that with anyone. They got it mixed up. The media turns it around, as well as others. There's a purpose.

"They're forgetting what the game was based on. You can't run and hide, you can't run off the field. Some of the cheap shots, aargh! ... We took care of that on our own. People want to see that. It's not that they want to see a fight. They want to see retribution by the players and they don't see that anymore.

"Let's talk about the injuries in a hockey fight. Usually one of the two players gets his feelings hurt. Of course, I say in my speeches that I would like to apologize for all the feelings I hurt during my career."

That's just one example of the humor Schultz now easily finds at his own expense as he makes the transition from landing body shots to trolling for belly laughs.

Fox

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Schultz ranks right up there as one of my all time favourite Flyers. He always set the tone and brought fear into opposition players. He was one of the main reasons that around the league in that ara there was a thing known as the Philly flue that had many of oppossing tough guy's scratched from the line up when playing the Flyers.

Schultz = Flyer hockey at it's finest.!!!:)

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
On the NHL| Sharp is a weapon in new shoot-outs

By Tim Panaccio

Inquirer Columnist

John Wayne never knew hockey. Still, the Duke was the original "shootist" in Western lore.

Well, move over, pardner. There's a new shootist in town, and his name is Patrick Sharp.

When the NHL resumes play this fall, the league will use a shoot-out to settle ties after five minutes of overtime.

Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock says he needs to put a couple of snipers on the ice every night. So, Hitchcock will have designated "shootists."

Look for Sharp, Joni Pitkanen and Jon Sim to be among the group of hired guns. They did well last season for the Phantoms in shoot-out situations, with Sharp and Pitkanen hitting more than 70 percent and Sim about 55 percent.

"It's exciting," Sharp said. "Every time we have chance to have a shoot-out, I want to be a guy shooting. It's a good start. It's nerve-racking, a lot riding on the shot, but I like that. I don't want to be the guy sitting on the bench."

Sharp doesn't have set moves; he relies on gut instinct depending on what the goaltender gives him to shoot at.

What are the requirements for this job? Foremost, Hitchcock says, he wants players who chew on ice cubes, those who will jump at the chance to hop over the boards, pick up the puck at center ice, and win a game.

"First, it's somebody who wants to do it" and is calm under pressure Hitchcock said. "Whatever his move is, it is. It has to be someone who... can score when there are 18,000 sets of eyes, plus players watching him. Look, some guys don't want it. Other guys relish that responsibility. We have a leg up on three or four Phantoms who are very good at it."

Sharp seems to thrive on the pressure.

"There are two ways to look at it," he said. "You can go out there and think if you fail, it is all on your shoulders. Or you can go out there thinking, 'I can be the hero,' which is how I view it.

"I like the spotlight. I like giving my team a chance to win, and I'm lucky enough to have had success. I don't think there is a formula to beat the goalie other than to force him to make a save."

At the end of every Flyers practice in training camp, Hitchcock will have shoot-out and breakaway drills. Eventually, he will prepare a list of designated shooters.

Sharp, Pitkanen and Sim are already on the list, with Sharp having the edge as No. 1 going into training camp, which opens Tuesday.

"There is going to be attention paid in drills and practice to this," Hitchcock said. "A lot of that is going to be looked at pretty seriously. We've had conversations with Phantom coaches on who is good at it, what their percentages are, who is best at the start vs. the end. We know all that stuff already."

Here's an idea: How about a TV ad campaign featuring Sharp going down the ice on a breakaway with a voice-over saying, "The shootist will be appearing at the Wachovia Center this fall."

Depleted Devils

It was a fait accompli that the Devils would lose Scott Niedermayer to free agency. But when Scott Stevens was declared healthy after a serious concussion during the 2003-04 season, it was assumed he'd be back. This week, he retired, citing a desire to spend more time with his family and leaving the Devils' vaunted defense that much less vaunted.

"Obviously, it's a shock right now to hear," teammate Scott Gomez told the Associated Press. "You knew that day would come. We all thought Scotty would be back... . I'm a little bit shocked because he announced something, but at the same time he didn't play the second half of the year."

Goaltender Martin Brodeur was equally stressed out upon hearing the news.

"We got used to not having him around," Brodeur said. "We really have a sense of what it's going to be like without Scott Stevens. At the same time we're going to have to learn about life without Scott Niedermayer, too."

Flyers captain Keith Primeau called Stevens "a fierce competitor" who won't be missed in Philly. "He's a winner," Primeau said. "You can see by his track record... . I know from firsthand experience after playing New Jersey in the first round of the playoffs that they're a great team, they're always a great team, they're always well-prepared. There was just a different feel without Scotty there."

Quotable

Boston's Glen Murray was asked during an NHL conference call about losing line mate Mike Knuble to the Flyers: "We lost a big part of our team. He was part of the line I played with. I think he's a big guy in the dressing room, and Philly is getting a quality guy."

Loose pucks

The fourth annual Mike Condon Memorial Golf Tournament will take place Oct. 10 at White Oaks Country Club. Proceeds benefit the Mike Condon's Children's Educational Fund... . The Nashville Predators have offered the NBA's New Orleans Hornets 12 game dates at the Gaylord Entertainment Center... . Don't be alarmed if the first few preseason games are total chaos, with 30 to 40 penalty minutes per team, as players and coaches get used to the new rules and the crackdown on obstruction. Said Toronto's Mats Sundin: "Hopefully, the referees are going to stick to the instructions, that they're going to get rid of the hook and holding through the neutral zones. We'll see more speed in the game. You know, we'll have to wait and see."... NHL officials gathered Thursday near Buffalo to spend a week preparing for the rules changes... . For a look at what is and isn't a penalty this season, log on to www.nhl.com and download the eight-minute video with new rules czar Stephen Walkom... . Best wishes to veteran NHL linesman Kevin Collins, who retired recently after working more than 2,200 games during a career that spanned 28 years. Collins never looked as old as he was, which is why some people might be surprised to learn that his first NHL season was 1977... . Finally, what were the odds that Stevens would retire before Eric Lindros?

Inquirer

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Quality of life lures stars to the Flyers

'Quality of life' lures stars to Flyers
BY CHUCK GORMLEY / Special to The News Journal
09/11/2005

There was a time during the dark, final days of the Eric Lindros era that the Flyers' image of being a first-class organization was in tatters.

The feud between Lindros and general manager Bob Clarke had become so deep and so personal that players outside the organization jokingly wondered who was holding the keys to the asylum in Philadelphia.

Today, four years removed from the Lindros era, the Flyers are recognized around the NHL as one of the most attractive teams in the league.

"I don't think a player can ruin the image of a team," said Flyers defenseman Eric Desjardins, who lived through the Lindros era and is beginning his 11th season with the Flyers. "I think it's more who is on top and how they treat people.

"You talk around the league and there aren't many guys who treat their players like Clarkie and [team chairman Ed] Snider. If you respect them, they'll respect you."

Desjardins said there are NHL teams who cut corners on hotels and air travel and meal money, and it affects team morale.

"That's one thing they don't do here," he said. "You can't find a better practice and workout facility than what we have here."

As a result, the Flyers will open training camp Tuesday with Peter Forsberg, Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje on their roster, three of the most coveted players in a free-agent market overflowing with star players.

Why has Philadelphia become such an attractive destination?

"It's quality of life," Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said. "The players already know the building is full, the building is loud, the fans are knowledgeable, the organization is committed to winning and the practice facility is second to none. Players talk about that stuff all the time."

Players also tend to follow each other's lead. It is no coincidence that Forsberg decided to sign with the Flyers two days after Hatcher and Rathje agreed to contracts.

"What caught me was the team," Forsberg said. "They have a couple young great players coming up. They have big boys, skill guys, a good coach, an organization that wants to win and a good city. They've got everything."

Now, Hitchcock has to figure out how to make it all work.

In the 16 months since the Flyers last played a game on May 20, 2004, they completely renovated their roster.

Gone are 13 players who participated for the Flyers in the 2004 playoffs -- forwards John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte, Alexei Zhamnov, Todd Fedoruk, Radovan Somik and Claude Lapointe, defensemen Vladimir Malakhov, Marcus Ragnarsson, Mattias Timander and Danny Markov and goaltender Sean Burke.

They have been replaced by a blend of defensive size (Hatcher, Rathje, Chris Therien), offensive grit (Mike Knuble, Turner Stevenson, Jon Sim), youthful enthusiasm (rookies Jeff Carter and Mike Richards) and a Calder Cup-winning goalie (Antero Niittymaki).

And, of course, Forsberg.

Clarke began reshaping the Flyers shortly after the 2003-04 season by signing Knuble and Stevenson. Knuble (6-foot-3, 228 pounds) scored 52 goals for Boston over two seasons before netting 26 goals in Sweden last season.

Stevenson (6-3, 220) won a Stanley Cup ring with the Devils in 2001, and his 14 goals for New Jersey in 2003-04 marked the highest offensive output of his career.

Clarke saved his best work for this summer when, after losing an entire season due to the lockout, he signed Hatcher and Rathje, along with Therien, who will compete with Dennis Seidenberg for the sixth defensive spot.

Hatcher is sidelined because of a left knee sprain and is expected to miss the first two weeks of training camp. He also will miss the first three games of the regular season while serving a three-game suspension issued during the 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Once he returns, he is expected to be paired with Joni Pitkanen, who is coming off an uneven season with the Phantoms but could blossom alongside Hatcher.

Rathje is expected to see time with Kim Johnsson, and Desjardins and Therien could be reunited as the Flyers' third defense pairing.

Up front, Forsberg will center a top unit with Simon Gagne on his left and perhaps Carter on his right. Richards could center a second line with Knuble on his left and Patrick Sharp on his right. Keith Primeau may anchor a third line with Donald Brashear on his left and Sami Kapanen on the right.

That leaves Michal Handzus in the fourth center spot, with Stevenson and Branko Radivojevic or Sim as his wingers.

Of course, all of that may change over the next three weeks as the Flyers play seven preseason games from Sept. 17 through Oct. 1.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050911/SPORTS04/509110322/1002/SPORTS

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Right Place, Right Time for Knuble

Flyers winger makes the most of his chances

by Kevin Kurz, philadelphiaflyers.com

For complete training camp coverage, click here.

Voorhees, NJ – With the splash that the Flyers made in the free agent market early last month, it’s almost easy to forget that the team has added a number of other players that could prove to be just as important to the team as they prepare for the beginning of the season.

One of those players is right wing Mike Knuble, who signed with the Flyers in the summer of 2004, but is just now beginning to adapt to his new teammates and surroundings. Knuble is coming off of his two best NHL seasons by far, totaling 59 points in 2002-03 and 46 points in 2003-04. He then spent all of last year in Sweden during the NHL work stoppage and finished with 26 goals and 13 assists for 39 points in just 49 games.

Flyers fans could be pleasantly surprised with Knuble despite being seemingl
Mike Knuble spent five seasons with the Bruins before signing with the Flyers on July 2, 2004y lost in the shuffle of other new additions, such as Peter Forsberg, Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje and rookies Jeff Carter and Mike Richards. In reality, Knuble could be one of the best-suited Flyers to adapt to the new rules changes, as many of them were already in place while he was playing abroad last season. Hopefully for the Flyers, his experience will translate into a fast start for the 33-year old Toronto native.

“I saw the lockout as a chance to broaden my game a little bit and play a different style of game,” said Knuble. “It’s different over there. It’s not like one is better than the other, but it was just a different way to play the game and a different way to see the game. Now, as a result of the lockout, they brought a lot of the rules and I’ve seen a lot of the things that I played under there last year being played in the NHL this year.”

Knuble’s recent career success was due mainly to his taking advantage of an opportunity that was presented to him while he was in Boston. Known mainly as a third or fourth line winger at the time, the Bruins’ Sergei Samsonov missed most of the 2002-03 season after undergoing wrist surgery. Knuble was thrust into the top line, playing alongside Joe Thornton and Glen Murray, and he immediately began to produce. His success continued into the 2003-04 campaign before he became a free agent and signed a three-year deal with Philadelphia.

“Things went my way, and playing with Joe and Glen, they were able to trust me and not be selfish, and say ‘who the hell is this guy, he can’t play with us,’” said Knuble. “They took me in right away, and we all benefited. We all did well and had a terrific year. What they have done for my career is amazing.”

Knuble clearly enjoyed his new role in Boston, and learned to think about the game in a whole new light.

“As a fourth line guy, you’re not really sure what’s going to happen, so you approach games a little bit different,” he said. “You go out there and try to not make mistakes, and do the best you can in your short amount of time. When you are thrust into a different role, you have to stay with it whether things go good or bad right in the beginning. You know that the two other guys on your line are offensive and demanding in their play. Joe became very demanding in his play, and that’s good. It makes you become a better player when people are demanding more.”

When Knuble signed with the Flyers last summer, it would have been impossible to predict what would have gone on with the NHL’s labor negotiations, let alone the Flyers’ roster. He was prepared to accept a little bit of a lesser role in Boston, but now, with the departure of players such as John LeClair and Mark Recchi, he could be relied upon once again to put the puck in the net.

“I was prepared to have maybe a little bit of a lesser role with some of the guys they had here,” said Knuble. “As a result of everything that has gone on, and with a salary cap, some higher paid guys are gone and there is a big change on the team. Maybe the roles of some guys will be different. Maybe I wasn’t slated to be in a scoring role so much when those guys were around, but now with the changes, maybe I’m back there, I don’t know.”

FLYERS NOTES
The Flyers will leave for their first preseason game on Friday afternoon, as they charter to London, Ontario to face the Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday at 6:00 p.m. at the John Labatt Centre. … Individual game tickets for the Flyers’ 41 home games go on sale Saturday at 10:00 a.m. … The Flyers will be holding an open house for anyone interested in full season packages and game plans on Monday, September 19 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., and also 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, call the Flyers at (215) 218 – PUCK (7825).

Thursday, September 15, 2005

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pressbox/trainingCamp/archive/2127.asp

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Richards, Sim and Knuble working well so far

Flyers preparing for second preseason game

by Kevin Kurz, philadelphiaflyers.com

Voorhees, NJ – Although it has only been one game, the Flyers may have found a threesome that could generate some offense for the club once the regular season begins.

Mike Richards, Mike Knuble and Jon Sim have all never played a game wearing the orange and black. None of them had ever played together on the same team before, either, but so far in training camp, a good chemistry is developing between the trio. On Saturday night in London, they comprised the most productive line of the night. Richards posted three assists, Sim scored twice and Knuble added a goal and an assist of his own.

All three hope that success continues as they take the ice on Wednesday night against the New York Islanders at the Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton, NJ.

“We’ve only played one game here, but it’s encouraging,” said Knuble. “Mike comes in, and is a great passer, and Jon Sim is a much better shooter with the puck than I ever knew. He’s just one of those guys that seems to find the back of the net.”

Knuble is the NHL regular among the three, having spent eight productive seasons in the league. Richards, a rookie who was a former first round pick of the Flyers in 2003, is in his first pro training camp, while Jon Sim has bounced between the NHL and the minor leagues for most of his seven year career and was arguably the Phantoms’ MVP during last season’s Calder Cup run.

Mike Knuble had a goal and an assist on Saturday against Atlanta

As the veteran of the bunch, Knuble will be vital to the progress of Richards. It’s a role that he recognizes, and it is evident even this early in camp that there is a friendship and a mutual respect between the two.

“You take a guy like Mike and he’s got incredible experience being a World Junior captain and a ton of success,” said Knuble. “It’s not easy coming into your first pro camp. You’re really nervous, and suddenly the guys are huge and they are men talking about their kids. It’s a whole different world. It’s not kid stuff anymore. There’s a lot of pressure involved, and it takes a special guy to be able to come here at 20 years old and be able to play.”

Richards is also enjoying getting to know his new linemate.

“He’s been great so far,” he said. “I have been throwing a lot of questions off of him over the past couple of weeks, and he’s really helped me out. He’s made it really relaxed to be out on the ice playing with him. He jokes around with me, and makes it a good environment to play in.”

Knuble is helpful to the rookie in other ways other than just on the ice.

“Today on the ice I had to explain to him what TiVo was (laughs),” said Knuble. “I told him I had TiVo, and he said ‘what the hell is TiVo?’”

The Flyers are hoping that the positive environment and positive results continue.

Primeau, Hitchcock Happy to be Playing Closer to Home

Wednesday night’s contest between the Flyers and New York Islanders will give the local fans a chance to see the team for the first time since the end of the 2003-04 season. Although it is listed as a home game for the Islanders, it is expected that there will be more Flyers fans in attendance, as Trenton is only a short ride from Philadelphia.

“It will be good for the fans and the players,” said Primeau. “It’s kind of like a re-introduction, and in a lot of instances, an introduction leading up to this weekend’s real home game at the Wachovia Center.”

Hitchcock saw many games in Trenton during the last season, and appreciates the crowd there.

“The thing I like about Trenton is that it is a really nice knowledgeable hockey crowd there,” said Hitchcock. “It’s a crowd that really knows the difference between good play and poor play. The thing I noticed is that they are really passionate about the game of hockey.”

“I think it’s kind of the first step towards Saturday night,” said Hitchcock. “I think there are still some other fans there. There were some Devils fans last time we were there, and there will be some Islanders fans there this time. To be honest with you what we are really towards is getting back in our own building on Saturday night. We’re really looking forward to that.

The Flyers open up their home portion of the preseason schedule on Saturday night against the Washington Capitals at the Wachovia Center.

FLYERS NOTES
Among the players skating on the Flyers side at the Skate Zone today included Jamie Storr, Eric Chouinard, Ben Eager and R.J. Umberger, who returned to the ice after sitting out with back spasms on Monday.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Flyers

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Forsberg and Carter excited to be linemates/Hatcher cleared

Forsberg and Carter Excited to be Linemates

Established superstar and rookie forward getting to know one another

Voorhees, NJ – As a rookie in the National Hockey League coming to his first professional training camp, Jeff Carter is already in quite a position.

When the London, Ontario native stepped on the ice for practice Wednesday at the Flyers Skate Zone, he had Peter Forsberg as his center, and Simon Gagne as a left wing. He is being put in a position to succeed by Ken Hitchcock, and with that, comes pressure.

It is a position that Carter embraces.

“There is a lot of pressure, I guess. It’s something that I like,” said Carter. “I played in a lot of big game situations where there has been a lot of pressure, and I think I’ve done fairly well. It’s a challenge that I’m looking forward too, for sure.”

As Peter Forsberg gets up to speed after missing most of training camp with an injured right ankle, Carter has played in every preseason game so far but has yet to register a point. He has admittedly had his ups and downs throughout the exhibition season, but is still confident he can produce once the games count.

“I think I’ve had moments where I’ve been pretty good and moments where I haven’t been very good at all. It’s something I need to work on, and I’m happy that it’s just exhibition right now and I can turn things around.”

Although Forsberg is doubtful for Thursday’s preseason game against New Jersey, he is taking part in full practice sessions with the team. Even though his ankle is not yet at 100 percent, he still impresses the people around him – especially Carter.

“It’s pretty much, when he’s open, give him the puck and go to the net with your stick on the ice,” he said. “Most of the time he’s going to get it to you. Some of the passes he threw out there today, I didn’t even know the puck was coming and it just landed on my stick. It’s pretty amazing.”

While Carter is excited to begin his pro career on a line with an established superstar, Forsberg is also adapting to a new role of trying to help along a younger player at the start of his career. It is a role he is looking forward to playing.

“I don’t mind it. It didn’t ever really happen in Colorado. I played with the older guys there, but it’s fun to play with him and try to help him out in the beginning of his career,” said Forsberg. “It’s a great opportunity for me, too, to help him out a little bit.

As for Carter’s proficiency on the ice…

“I’m really surprised. Even as a young player, he’s got a lot of skills and he’s going to have a bright future in this league. He’s a smart player and he knows the game, but I think he’s going to fit in perfectly,” he said.

Hitchcock is also getting a good look at the line combination of Forsberg, Carter and Gagne, and quickly describes it in one word.

“Organized. It looks organized. That’s the best way to describe it. It just seems like a good fit, but we would really like to see it in a game because when you put three smart, competitive players together, they just seem to read off of each other really well. They are always in good position on both ends of the rink. It looks like it has the makings of a very good line.”

Hatcher Cleared to Play; Primeau Still Out
Derian Hatcher could make his preseason debut during Thursday’s game at the Wachovia Center, after being cleared to resume full activity by Flyers team physician Dr. Peter DeLuca on Wednesday afternoon.

The 6-4, 244-pound defenseman, who signed with the Flyers as a free agent on August 2, has been sidelined due to a strained left knee sustained Sept. 6 at the U.S. Olympic team orientation camp in Colorado. He began skating with the team on Monday.

Keith Primeau, who bruised his left shoulder in practice on Monday and missed Tuesday’s preseason game, remained off of the ice. He will not play on Thursday.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Flyers

81 - 91 of 91 Posts