Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to everyone ive never met, as much as the title sounds like a drug use pun it is not, ive never played ice hockey since i was orginally born in england so i never really got the chance til now, i now live in mexico and right next to my house is an ice hockey team, ive just turned 20 a few days ago and ive only even been in ice skates about 3 times in my life, ive always wanted to play ice hockey and now ive got a chance, is it too late?

if theres any tips you can give to someone finally getting there chance to get into the sport then id like to virtially shake you by the hand

thanks!

(sorry for any spelling mistakes, i have dyslexia)

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's never too late I don't think. Depending on which level league you want to go. I've started playing in Australia of all places. I'm 26 and will be playing for fun and fitness. I'm loving it.
Down here we have ice hockey courses. Even starting at people that have never really skated before.

One tip I have is youtube! There is so much info on there about everything you won't to know. A few good ones that have helped me along the way are
- Hockey stops
- Crossovers
- Backwards skating
- Stick handling
- Wrist shots
- Snap shots
- Slap shots

Also some really good off-ice training.

Have fun and don't hesitate to ask more questions. That's what we are here for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks to you, I've been looking at equipment and sweet baby Jesus it's expensive! I don't have much money at the moment so any tips for getting my first skates and other stuff??

·
Registered
309 Posts
All of my equipment came from either www.hockeymonkey.com or www.icewarehouse.com
Worked out well for me. I think I spent around the $2000 mark with postage to Australia.
You can get starter packs with all the pads you need for cheaper. I figured since I could afford above average stuff, that I would get decent equipment that would last me longer. There are some great brands with lower spec pads and skates also, so maybe that would be a good way to go.
With skates, try on a few different brands as some are quite different to the others. A hockey shop should be able to give you some good advice on what type of fit you should be looking at. I have Reeboks. They are a good fit for me as they tend to have a bit more width than others, but you could find Bauers or something else fit better.
Icewarehouse.com is good for equipment reviews and they also have some videos on fitting skates and taping blades and so on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's your thoughts on buying used? I'm still learning to play so I thought I should get as cheap as possible till I can properly even skate, bit thanks! The first website was very cheap, I had to email the company to ask if they deliver to Mexico they was so good

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
What's your thoughts on buying used? I'm still learning to play so I thought I should get as cheap as possible till I can properly even skate, bit thanks! The first website was very cheap, I had to email the company to ask if they deliver to Mexico they was so good
I don't think there's anything wrong with used, particularly if you're just learning. However, if you're one of those guys who's more worried about the fashion show than anything else, or wearing the same equipment as your favorite player, you won't be happy.

In the end, I'd rather be a good player with used equipment than a sub-par one with expensive stuff. It's no different than when I play pool, and you see guys whose case costs more than my cue... And they can't even shoot straight.

Daryl

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just taken the sport back up after a 10 year lay off and the only advice I can offer you is to not give up! Learn to skate before you pick up a stick but more importantly be confident of you skating ability. My first session back on the Ice a couple of weeks back saw me kitted up for all of around 10 minutes, I had zero confidence hadn't skated for 10 years and felt like an ass. I went home re-evaluated what I was doing and went this week with confidence, my skating is well below par but I was confident that I could get back to my best and over the next few months I intend on doing so. Good Luck a d most importantly have Fun!

·
Registered
309 Posts
For the first 4-5months of getting into hockey I used rental hockey skates and borrowed equipment. It's great to see if you are really up for playing hockey before spending all the cash on new or used equipment. It's also good to see what suits you stick wise and what size equipment feels better.

I'd agree with above- Get your skating up to scratch before picking up a stick. You have to skate like a child and have no fear of falling over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks to you guys, I've been trying to get my gf to speak to the local hockey coach for help as my Spanish isn't perfect yet, sadly I chose this time to make fun of her haircut and she is not talking to me, ah well, worth it! Talking about skating, I have not done this for many years, should I just teach myself or ask for help? Oh and fitness wise, what state do I need to be at? I'm fairly short but I'm strong for my height (5foot 7) also I run alot

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd say just to skate on your own until you start getting your balance, speed and agility up a bit. Then think about getting some coaching. Try a few different things each time you go. Crossovers, backwards skating, backwards crossovers, tight turning, hockey stops, pivoting to the right and the left, try stay low and get a long stride and just get used to using both the outside and inside edge on your blades.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend you have been so very helpful! I'm going to go to the rink (ring?) tomorrow morning whilst kids at school so I get room for myself to practise, I know the general answer for this is "til you get good" but how long did it take skating wise before you even thought about hockey? I've been watching the pre season games closely at how they skate, cross overs are a bigger part then I originally noticed

·
Registered
309 Posts
We have beginner ice hockey courses over here that build your skills up. It helped heaps. I was skating for about 3mths on and off I think. I was getting my balance up and some decent speed. I taught myself how to do crossovers slowly and got a bit faster.
I don't know what sort of hockey schooling they have over there, but you could probably ask the local league admin or the ice rink for some info on getting into ice hockey.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had alot of trouble doing the hockey stop, cross overs wasn't as bad as i thought but i wouldn't say it was easy, all in all I need alot of practise! Skating is fun so I think I'd keep it up, thanks guys, hopefully I"ll be learning soon

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi, with Hockey stops I found it best just to start off with basic stopping first. As in 1 foot straight and the other on a 45deg angle, then gradually practice bringing it further in front. Once you get good at that then you can begin to start trying to put the other foot behind the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry to keep bothering you, workout wise outside of ice hockey, what do you do? ive been trying to research what will help me a little bit

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty hard to simulate skating. The only way to get all the right muscles going is skating. You can try conditioning your body by either sprint/run for 2-2.5mins, then stop for 2mins. It should help with your endurance and get some good power when you need it during games. You can also try strengthen your legs doing squats and your back muscles are also good to get strengthened.
For stick handling I have a green biscuit http://www.greenbiscuit.com/ . It's a plastic puck that you can use on concrete or you can get a stick handling training ball which I'm also thinking of getting soon. It has the same weight and contact points as a official puck. Don't forgot to roll your wrists to keep control of the puck.
For shooting practice I have some bench top type material(you can use perspex). I use proper pucks and a normal cheap stick as I don't want to damage my good sticks.

Ask away. It doesn't bother me at all. I needed a lot of questions answered when I was starting as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts