Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Youth and Enthusiasm can only take you so far; I told Iggy, Id rather be old and smart, than young and dumb anyday." - Brett Hull, 2002 playoffs.

Bobby Clarke: "We take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor."
Jim McKenny: "Half the game is mental; the other half is being mental."
Jacques Plante: "How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?"
Brett Hull: "I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Doug Larson: "Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."
Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you never take."
Gordie Howe: "American professional athletes are bilingual; they speak English and profanity."
Steve Rushin: "By the age of 18, the average American has witnessed 200,000 acts of violence on television, most of them occurring during Game 1 of the NHL playoff series."
Jimmy Cannon: "A puck is a hard rubber disc that hockey players strike when they can't hit one another."
Stephen Leacock: "Hockey captures the essence of Canadian experience in the New World. In a land so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive."
Jim Murray: "Hockey is murder on ice."
Pierre Page: "A player must be able to skate, have hockey sense, be able to shoot - not necessarily able to score - and have drive."
Glen Sather: "You can have all the talent in the world, but if the pumper's not there, it doesn't matter."
Barclay Plager: "It's not who wins the fight that's important, it's being willing to fight. If you get challenged and renege, everyone wants to take a shot at you."
Unknown: "Street hockey is great for kids. It's energetic, competitive, and skilful. And best of all it keeps them off the street."
Jeremy Roenick, "Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person."
Rodney Dangerfield: "I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out."
Paul Coffey: "When we've got the puck, they can't score."
Brad Park: "We get nose jobs all the time in the NHL, and we don't even have to go to the hospital."
Milan Gajic: "I honestly believe some would have given up their left leg to stop a shot in the third period."
Tom McVie: "You've got to go to the net if you want to score."
Conn Smythe: "Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
Ken Dryden: "There are two types of forwards. Scorers and bangers. Scorers score and bangers bang."
Eric Lindros, commenting on Flyers GM Bob Clarke's inability to trade him. season: "When you ask for the house, car, cat, dog and all the fish whenyou're dealing with a player who's got questions about his health, no GM in his right mind is going to say yes and offer to clean the aquarium, too."
Paul Coffey: "Hockey's a funny game. You have to prove yourself every shift, every game. It's not up to anybody else. You have to take pride in yourself."
Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my (expletive) clothes."
Tony Amonte, on possessing the NHL?s second-longest active playing streak: "It must be the body. It?s chiseled out of marshmallows."
Teemu Selanne, on the importance of the All-Star game: "Winning is always fun, but the car is more important."
Herb Brooks, 1980 US Olympic hockey coach: "You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."
Carolina owner Peter Karmanos, on his refusal to deal with Keith Primeau: "We refuse to pay a prima donna, a petulant, pouting player who had 30 goals last year the same money as Toronto is paying Mats Sundin or Pittsburgh is paying Jaromir Jagr."
Jeremy Roenick, on the trade rumors around captain Keith Tkachuk: "The only difference between the Coyotes and ?Days of Our Lives? is that nobody has been shot on our team yet."
Phil Esposito, on his daughter Carrie getting engaged to Alexander Selivanov: "I tried to talk my daughter out of going with a hockey player but, he?s a good kid. He asked me if he could marry Carrie before he asked her. I said: "You want to what?? I thought he was just going to ask for more ice time."
Scott Wolf, of the TV show ?Party of Five? after playing in a charity hockey game: "I?m not planning a career change - not unless they need someone who constantly falls on the ice and is out of breath all the time."

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brendan Morrison?s, agent Kurt Overhardt, on his contract negotiations with the Devils: "It?s beyond money at this point. They?re not even treating him as a member of their family, unless it?s a dysfunctional family."

Mike Modano, on Sergei Fedorov?s breaking three sticks on Dallas players: " I don?t know if Anna (Kournikova) told him to get tougher or what."

Roy MacGregor, on Yashin?s contract holdout: "Sources also confirm that there is no one left in Canada who can remember when hockey was a simple game, played for fun."

Phoenix GM Bobby Smith: "We?re looking forward to building the type of team the Rangers are able to buy."

Wade Redden, on Ottawa?s come from behind 6-2 win over Toronto: "Some days, the sun even shines on a dog?s butt."

When Miroslav Satan puts his credit card out to pay bills, he says "They ask me, 'Is this really your name?'" His standard response: "Only in America."

On the "Late, Late Show with Craig Kilborn," Kilborn noted Monday was Anna Kournikova's 18th birthday. Kilborn: "Or as hockey player Sergei Fedorov knows it, 'The day I can legally start telling everyone I am sleeping with Anna Kournikova.'"

Brian Skrudland, on the new two-referee system: "I think the game has gotten better. (The two-ref system) keeps players from taking cheap shots behind the play. I never thought I'd like it, considering the way I like to hack."

Patrick Roy, on his attempt at the Edmonton Oilers empty net: "I guess they respect my shot because they were all ready at the blue line."

Steve Smith: "Part of the learning curve in Edmonton is learning to hate Calgary."

Buffalo tough guy Rob Ray, to a reporter after Ray was pounded by Edmonton?s Georges Laraque: "What are you, the fight doctor now or something? You?ve never been in a fight in your life, so what are you talking about?"

Edmonton?s Boris Mironov, on playing with a sore ankle: "I just tape four Tylenols to it."

Glenn Healy, after returning from his stint in the minors made reference to the movie Slapshot with: "I?m happy to be back. It was never my aspiration as a kid to play in the Federal league."

Glenn Healy, on his IHL time: "One road trip we were stuck on the runway for seven hours. The plane kept driving and driving until we arrived at the rink and I realized we were on a bus."

Glenn Healy, on playing in the minors: "I was three-quarters down the list of guys I would be facing in my first game when I realized I was looking at our own roster.

Mark Janssens, on Ziggy Palffy, "(He?s) the most un-athletic looking superstar."

Roger Newton, Nassau Coliseum general manager joked when a sewage line backed up and leaked into the Islanders dressing room: "Actually we?re trying to get it to flood both locker rooms, just to be fair."

Kevin Hodson, goalie, on Al MacInnis: "You try to squeeze a little more Charmin in the pads when you face him."

Trevor Linden, on viewing the site of John F. Kennedy?s assassination in Dallas: "I had to pinch myself seeing the grassy knoll and the book suppository building."

Mike Milbury, on former Islander Travis Green and his hit on Kenny Jonsson: "He's a gutless puke, that's what Travis Green is. That's why he doesn't wear an Islander uniform any more."

Broadcaster Ron MacLean, on his four year contract renewal: "As always, I remain hopeful that Don Cherry won?t be offered the same length contract."

Bobby Clarke, on signing Kjell Samuelsson: "There's no reason why a player is done at 33, 34. They train better, they eat better, they drink better. This isn't the old days when everybody sat around and drank beer."

New York Islander General Manager Don Maloney: "I know I'm not very popular on Long Island. I don't know who's less popular, me or Joey Buttafuoco."

In Chicago, Bob Probert crashed his motorcycle into a car. According to police reports, his blood-alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit and he told officers: "Just charge me with the usual."

Edmonton's Tyler Wright, on being clubbed by Joe Murphy, "It felt like a golf swing and my head was on the tee."

The St. Louis Blues Media Guide was recalled to the tune of a $70,000 loss as the result of a listing in the team record section. It related to the amount of 'Oral Satisfaction' that the team got in one game.

Ron Francis, asked teammate Mario Lemieux what he did to stay in shape in the off season. Lemieux's response: "I don't order fries with my club sandwich."

Serge Savard, on his firing from Montreal, "I have to thank the guy who fired me because he was also the guy who hired me."

Dean Lombardi: "At the end of each year I make a list of my mistakes and it's pretty friggin' long."

TB Coach Terry Crisp, on rookie Alex Selivanov, "Yes the guy can score you 40 goals. Yes I love it. What I don't want is him causing 60."

Bobby Hull: "I was a multi-millionaire from playing hockey. Then I got divorced, and now I am a millionaire."

Pat Burns, New Jersey Devil's Coach, after referees negated a line change that led to Tampa Bay's winning goal in the Stanley Cup Playoffs: "After all these years in the league, am I that stupid that I would put four forwards and one defenseman in a 3-3 tie, in the third period? I think everybody that knows me here knows I'm not that stupid. I might be halfway stupid, but not that stupid."

Fred Shero, Flyers Head Coach, at the 1974 Stanley Cup Finals: "Win today and we walk together forever."

Steven Tyler, Aerosmith's lead singer, after admiring the Stanley Cup: "This is the only thing that has seen more parties than us."

Al Michaels, describing Americans' knowledge of hockey prior to the "Miracle on Ice": "People didn't know the difference between a blue line and a clothes line."

Herb Brooks, 1980 US Olympic hockey coach: "You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."

I love the one by herb brooks thats just hilarious.. I read up on it and the guys actually made a book of all his sayings like keep some type of journal and called them Brooksisms!

410 Posts
HabsRule said:
Pat Roy. "I could not hear what they say about me, my 2 Stanley Cup rings were stuffed in my ears."
That's a great comeback haha!

My favourite quote is from Brendan Morrison to Todd Bertuzzi "Do you want some more 'white powder' so we can play bad again?"

410 Posts
shanny14 said:
Brendan Morrison?s, agent Kurt Overhardt, on his contract negotiations with the Devils: "It?s beyond money at this point. They?re not even treating him as a member of their family, unless it?s a dysfunctional family."

Mike Modano, on Sergei Fedorov?s breaking three sticks on Dallas players: " I don?t know if Anna (Kournikova) told him to get tougher or what."

Roy MacGregor, on Yashin?s contract holdout: "Sources also confirm that there is no one left in Canada who can remember when hockey was a simple game, played for fun."

Phoenix GM Bobby Smith: "We?re looking forward to building the type of team the Rangers are able to buy."

Wade Redden, on Ottawa?s come from behind 6-2 win over Toronto: "Some days, the sun even shines on a dog?s butt."

When Miroslav Satan puts his credit card out to pay bills, he says "They ask me, 'Is this really your name?'" His standard response: "Only in America."

On the "Late, Late Show with Craig Kilborn," Kilborn noted Monday was Anna Kournikova's 18th birthday. Kilborn: "Or as hockey player Sergei Fedorov knows it, 'The day I can legally start telling everyone I am sleeping with Anna Kournikova.'"

Brian Skrudland, on the new two-referee system: "I think the game has gotten better. (The two-ref system) keeps players from taking cheap shots behind the play. I never thought I'd like it, considering the way I like to hack."

Patrick Roy, on his attempt at the Edmonton Oilers empty net: "I guess they respect my shot because they were all ready at the blue line."

Steve Smith: "Part of the learning curve in Edmonton is learning to hate Calgary."

Buffalo tough guy Rob Ray, to a reporter after Ray was pounded by Edmonton?s Georges Laraque: "What are you, the fight doctor now or something? You?ve never been in a fight in your life, so what are you talking about?"

Edmonton?s Boris Mironov, on playing with a sore ankle: "I just tape four Tylenols to it."

Glenn Healy, after returning from his stint in the minors made reference to the movie Slapshot with: "I?m happy to be back. It was never my aspiration as a kid to play in the Federal league."

Glenn Healy, on his IHL time: "One road trip we were stuck on the runway for seven hours. The plane kept driving and driving until we arrived at the rink and I realized we were on a bus."

Glenn Healy, on playing in the minors: "I was three-quarters down the list of guys I would be facing in my first game when I realized I was looking at our own roster.

Mark Janssens, on Ziggy Palffy, "(He?s) the most un-athletic looking superstar."

Roger Newton, Nassau Coliseum general manager joked when a sewage line backed up and leaked into the Islanders dressing room: "Actually we?re trying to get it to flood both locker rooms, just to be fair."

Kevin Hodson, goalie, on Al MacInnis: "You try to squeeze a little more Charmin in the pads when you face him."

Trevor Linden, on viewing the site of John F. Kennedy?s assassination in Dallas: "I had to pinch myself seeing the grassy knoll and the book suppository building."

Mike Milbury, on former Islander Travis Green and his hit on Kenny Jonsson: "He's a gutless puke, that's what Travis Green is. That's why he doesn't wear an Islander uniform any more."

Broadcaster Ron MacLean, on his four year contract renewal: "As always, I remain hopeful that Don Cherry won?t be offered the same length contract."

Bobby Clarke, on signing Kjell Samuelsson: "There's no reason why a player is done at 33, 34. They train better, they eat better, they drink better. This isn't the old days when everybody sat around and drank beer."

New York Islander General Manager Don Maloney: "I know I'm not very popular on Long Island. I don't know who's less popular, me or Joey Buttafuoco."

In Chicago, Bob Probert crashed his motorcycle into a car. According to police reports, his blood-alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit and he told officers: "Just charge me with the usual."

Edmonton's Tyler Wright, on being clubbed by Joe Murphy, "It felt like a golf swing and my head was on the tee."

The St. Louis Blues Media Guide was recalled to the tune of a $70,000 loss as the result of a listing in the team record section. It related to the amount of 'Oral Satisfaction' that the team got in one game.

Ron Francis, asked teammate Mario Lemieux what he did to stay in shape in the off season. Lemieux's response: "I don't order fries with my club sandwich."

Serge Savard, on his firing from Montreal, "I have to thank the guy who fired me because he was also the guy who hired me."

Dean Lombardi: "At the end of each year I make a list of my mistakes and it's pretty friggin' long."

TB Coach Terry Crisp, on rookie Alex Selivanov, "Yes the guy can score you 40 goals. Yes I love it. What I don't want is him causing 60."

Bobby Hull: "I was a multi-millionaire from playing hockey. Then I got divorced, and now I am a millionaire."

Pat Burns, New Jersey Devil's Coach, after referees negated a line change that led to Tampa Bay's winning goal in the Stanley Cup Playoffs: "After all these years in the league, am I that stupid that I would put four forwards and one defenseman in a 3-3 tie, in the third period? I think everybody that knows me here knows I'm not that stupid. I might be halfway stupid, but not that stupid."

Fred Shero, Flyers Head Coach, at the 1974 Stanley Cup Finals: "Win today and we walk together forever."

Steven Tyler, Aerosmith's lead singer, after admiring the Stanley Cup: "This is the only thing that has seen more parties than us."

Al Michaels, describing Americans' knowledge of hockey prior to the "Miracle on Ice": "People didn't know the difference between a blue line and a clothes line."

Herb Brooks, 1980 US Olympic hockey coach: "You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."

I love the one by herb brooks thats just hilarious.. I read up on it and the guys actually made a book of all his sayings like keep some type of journal and called them Brooksisms!
Sorry for double posting but you sure put in a lot of effort. Do you have more quotes because I found these very interesting :dunno:.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i have more.

Bob Goodenow will kill me, but if we're going to be realistic about things probably 75 per cent of the league is overpaid. But we're not paying ourselves. There are people giving it to us and no one is putting a gun to their heads. Something has to be done if we're going to fix this. I don't think there can be a stoppage. I don't think the game can afford it, especially in Canada where it's vital we at least have this many teams up here.""

- Detroit Red Wings forward and free spirit Brett Hull stirs the pot with another made-to-order soundbite.

"Contracts are broken every day by everybody around, including those people who open the biggest mouths in Canada, including the ownership of the Ottawa Senators. Where is the sanctity of the guaranteed contract when you can hide behind bankruptcy?"

- Mark Gandler, agent for Islanders' star Alexei Yashin, on news that Yashin might never see the money owed to him by the bankrupt Ottawa Senators. In 1999, Yashin was suspended by the Senators for refusing to honor his contract. He was forced to spend an extra season in Ottawa to play out the final year of that deal.

"Hey, NY Islanders, where were you the night we played the Rangers? We, your loyal fans showed up! We braved freezing weather and came out looking for a great game. We came out to support you. Where was the energy, the excitement, the electricity, the intensity? Come on now . . . we deserve a better effort. It's a tough road ahead. Your fans are behind you . . . play with passion!!! Let's Go Islanders! Signed,A Loyal Fan of the Team."

- Text from a full-page ad in the January 24th edition of New York Newsday. Larry Weinberger, an Islanders' season ticket holder, paid $28,000 for the ad after watching histeam lose 5-0 to the Rangers.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quotes:

Hockey captures the essence of Canadian experience in the New World. In a land so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive.
Stephen Butler Leacock

I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out.
Rodney Dangerfield

Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept.
Doug Larson

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
Rodney Dangerfield

There's more violence in one football game than there is in an entire hockey season, and nobody ever talks about that.
Keith Allen

A puck is a hard rubber disc that hockey players strike when they can't hit one another.
Jimmy Cannon

Black people dominate sports in the United States. 20% of the population and 90% of the final four. We own this shit. Basketball, baseball, football, golf, tennis, and as soon as they make a heated hockey rink we'll take that shit too.
Chris Rock

That was not a football score, it was a hockey score...in training I often play matches of three against three and when the score reaches 5-4 I send the players back to the dressing room, because they are not defending properly [on Arsenal 5, Spurs 4]
Jose Mourinho

Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps.
Tiger Woods quotes

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Famous Hockey Quotes 161-180

"Hockey's the only place where a guy can go nowadays and watch two white guys fight." - Frank Deford

"Hockey's a funny game. You have to prove yourself every shift, every game. It's not up to anybody else. You have to take pride in yourself." - Paul Coffey

"Hockey would be a great game... if played in the mud." - Jimmy Cannon

"Hockey players wear numbers because you can't always identify the bodies with dental records." -?

"Hockey is the only job I know where you get paid to have a nap on the day of the game." - Chico Resch

"Hockey is murder on ice." -Jim Murray

"Hockey is like a disease, you can't really shake it." - Ken Wregget

"Hockey is a man's game. The team with the most real men wins." - Brian Burke

"Hockey captures the essence of Canadian experience in the New World. In a land so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive." -Stephen Leacock

"Hey, NY Islanders, where were you the night we played the Rangers? We, your loyal fans showed up! We braved freezing weather and came out looking for a great game. We came out to support you. Where was the energy, the excitement, the electricity, the intensity? Come on now... we deserve a better effort. It's a tough road ahead. Your fans are behind you... play with passion!!! Let's Go Islanders! -Islanders’." Fan

"He's very clever. He's not putting as much of himself at risk. This guy gets other people to leverage their money. From a business perspective, you should respect the guy. But it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when things go bad." -Ted Michalos

"He's a gutless puke, that's what Travis Green is. That's why he doesn't wear an Islander uniform any more. -Mike Milbury

"Here's a couple of bucks, maybe you can buy a goal." -?

"He’s the most un-athletic looking superstar." -Mark Janssens

"He should be worried about playing the game, not innovating it. He thinks he's Brett Hull or something. You should remind him that he didn't go to college. He's a junior guy. So he's not that bright." -Garth Snow

"He had better get married soon, because he's getting uglier every day!" - Mark Recchi

"He brings something special. I don't know what it is, but if you ask him, you couldn't understand his answer." - Wayne Gretzky

"Harvey was in a place he shouldn't have been." -Peter Hanlon

"Half the game is mental; the other half is being mental." -Jim McKenny

"Guys like him ruin it for everybody else. It's just embarrassing. Or maybe he's not embarrassed because he probably believes he's not doing it-that's how liars are." -Chris Chelios

What are you, the fight doctor now or something? You’ve never been in a fight in your life, so what are you talking about?" -Rob Ray

"What a player does best, he should practice least. Practice is for problems." - Duke Snider

"We've made a final offer. We hope Ziggy Palffy will come to his senses. We have NO hope his agent will." - Mike Milbury

"We're right next to Mile High Stadium. I'm no rocket scientist, but...uh...(smile)." - Brian Skrudland

"We’re looking forward to building the type of team the Rangers are able to buy." -Bobby Smith

"We take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor." - Bobby Clarke

"We should've been better, more disciplined. We made untimely mistakes defensively, as a group. This is really humbling for us. After winning the Stanley Cup, we got brought back down to earth, hard. Maybe the humbling is good for us in the long run." -Steve Yzerman

"We refuse to pay a prima donna, a petulant, pouting player who had 30 goals last year the same money as Toronto is paying Mats Sundin or Pittsburgh is paying Jaromir Jagr." -Peter Karmanos

"We have to get families back in the game, get back where Saturday night, everything stops. A case of beer comes out and a bottle of rye and anyone who comes to the house, they better want to watch hockey." -Bobby Hull

"We get nose jobs all the time in the NHL, and we don't even have to go to the hospital." -Brad Park

"Until we get an apology we,re not going to win a game. We vow not to win until we get an apology from Bettman." - Dixon Ward

"Trade me right f***ing now." -Slapshot

"To his US Olympic team - Every day you guys look worse and worse. And today you played like tomorrow." - John Mariucci

"This is the only thing that has seen more parties than us." -Steven Tyler

"They were checking us so closely, I could tell what brand of deodorant they were using." - Gary Dornhoefer

"They say you're not a coach in the league till you've been fired. I must be getting pretty good." - Terry Simpson

"They do a lot of talking, but I'm not sure they actually understand each other." - Darren McCarty

"They brought their f***ing toys." -Slapshot

"They ask me, 'Is this really your name?' His standard response: "Only in America." "-Miroslav Satan

"There's no reason why a player is done at 33, 34. They train better, they eat better, they drink better. This isn't the old days when everybody sat around and drank beer." -Bobby Clarke

There will never be a salary cap. I've told the players to be prepared for a long lockout by the owners. It may last a year, it may last two or three years, but we will never accept a salary cap. This isn't the NFL. I'm confident the players are prepared for whatever happens." -Bob Goodenow.

"There are two types of forwards. Scorers and bangers. Scorers score and bangers bang. -Ken Dryden

"The will to win is important, but the will to prepare is vital." -Joe Paterno

"The three important elements of hockey are: forecheck, backcheck and paycheck" - Gil Perreault

"The only way you can check Gretzky is to hit him when he is standing still singing the national anthem." - Harry Sinden

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary." -Vidal Sassoon

"The only difference between the Coyotes and ‘Days of Our Lives’ is that nobody has been shot on our team yet. -Keith Tkachuk

"The hockey lockout of 1994-1995 has been settled. They have stopped bickering... and can now get down to some serious bloodshed!" - Conan O'Brien

"The greatest hockey player who ever lived: Bobby Orr, and I love him." -Don Cherry

"The five S's of sports training are: stamina, speed, strength, skill and spirit, but the greatest of these is spirit." - Ken Doherty

"That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my xxxx clothes!" - Stu Grimson

"That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my (expletive) clothes. -Stu Grimson

"That was economic suicide, and the stupidest thing I've ever seen. They're spending $80 million, and we're a better team than they are. I think we're in a position long term where this team has an opportunity to dominate long term. If (fans) are waiting for us to spend $80 million they should move to New York and buy season tickets for the Rangers. They have a lot of overpaid, egotistical athletes and don't make the playoffs. Two things make me happy: the Kings winning and the Rangers losing." -Tim Leiweke

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Bob Goodenow will kill me but if we're going to be realistic about things probably 75 per cent of the league is overpaid. But we're not paying ourselves. There are people giving it to us and no one is putting a gun to their heads. Something has to be done if we're going to fix this. I don't think there can be a stoppage. I don't think the game can afford it, especially in Canada where it's vital we at least have this many teams up here." -Brett Hull.

"Blood, sweat, tears. No practice tommorow 'cause there's no one left to beat." -Bobby Orr

"Aw, don't worry about that Doc. If it happens I could always come back as a forward." - Harold Snepsts

"At the end of each year I make a list of my mistakes and it's pretty friggin' long." -Dean Lombardi

"As always, I remain hopeful that Don Cherry won’t be offered the same length contract." -Ron MacLean
"Are you guys brothers?" -Slapshot

"American professional athletes are bilingual; they speak English and profanity." -Gordie Howe

"All that means is that I'll be 783 years old when I catch Scotty Bowman." - Kevin Constantine

"After all these years in the league, am I that stupid that I would put four forwards and one defenseman in a 3-3 tie, in the third period? I think everybody that knows me here knows I'm not that stupid. I might be halfway stupid, but not that stupid." -Pat Burns

"Actually we’re trying to get it to flood both locker rooms, just to be fair." -Roger Newton

"A puck is a hard rubber disc that hockey players strike when they can't hit one another." -Jimmy Cannon

"A player must be able to skate, have hockey sense, be able to shoot - not necessarily able to score - and have drive." -Pierre Page

"A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be." -Wayne Gretzky

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet." - Paul Gallico

"4 Out Of 5 dentists recommend playing hockey!" -?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"... you can only drink so much and sc**w so much." -Slapshot

some of these are reruns. there is just so many. its not easy to edit them all out.

"F***ing machine took my quarter." -Slapshot

"Every goal is a highlight film." -Ron Francis

"Every day is a great day for hockey." -Mario Lemieux

"Ever since he's been a little boo-aw." - Marc Crawford

"Either you give it right back or the next thing you know everyone and his brother will be trying you on for size." - Doug Harvey

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking your potential." - Liane Carlos

"Call them pros, call them mercenaries -- but in fact they are just grown-up kids who have learned on the frozen creek or flooded corner lot that hockey is the greatest thrill of all." - Lester Patrick

"By the age of 18, the average American has witnessed 200,000 acts of violence on television, most of them occurring during Game 1 of the NHL playoff series." -Steve Rushin

"By far Gretzky is the most talented player ever. Every time he gets the puck something exciting happens." -Mike Milbury

"Bob Kelly was so dumb, they shoulda written his name on the Stanley Cup in crayon." - Gene Hart

"I was a multi-millionaire from playing hockey. Then I got divorced, and now I am a millionaire." -Bobby Hull

"I used the N-word instead of calling him Trevor. I used it just not thinking... I told Trev this is an old wound with me. I grew up with it. I am sorry as anybody that it stuck with me." -John Vanbiesbrouck

"I tried to talk my daughter out of going with a hockey player but, he’s a good kid. He asked me if he could marry Carrie before he asked her. I said: You want to what?’ I thought he was just going to ask for more ice time." -Phil Esposito

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I think the game has gotten better. (The two-ref system) keeps players from taking cheap shots behind the play. I never thought I'd like it, considering the way I like to hack." -Brian Skrudland

"I think he knows all my tricks. Or the fact I don't have any tricks." - Brendan Shanahan

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been." - Wayne Gretzky

"I remember what Ron Greschner said when he retired. 'The thing I'm going to miss most is showering with 23 guys.' And that's what it's all about: camaraderie." -Mike Richter

"I remember the day of his last radiation treatment. He went to Philly. He got there about 4 o'clock and he played. I think hegets overlooked, what he's overcome. It's ridiculous. Everybody talks about Michael Jordan coming back from baseball, but Mario came back from cancer." -Kevin Stevens

"I know my players don't like my practises, but that's OK because I don't like their games." - Harry Neale.

"I know I'm not very popular on Long Island. I don't know who's less popular, me or Joey Buttafuoco." -Don Maloney

"I just tape four Tylenols to it." -Boris Mironov
"I just made up my mind that I was going to lose my teeth and have my face cut to pieces." - Johnny Bower

"I just don't know what to think. I play in Colorado, they tell me they like me, and I get traded. I play in Calgary, and at the end of the season the GM tells me he likes me, and I get traded. I just hope my fiancee doesn't tell me she likes me." -Chris Drury

"I honestly believe some would have given up their left leg to stop a shot in the third period." -Milan Gajic

"I have to thank the guy who fired me because he was also the guy who hired me." -Serge Savard

"I had to pinch myself seeing the grassy knoll and the book suppository building." -Trevor Linden

"I had all my own teeth and I wanted to keep it that way." - Tom Glavine

"I guess they respect my shot because they were all ready at the blue line." -Patrick Roy

"I grabbed it and squeezed it back into place. It gave a little crunch and popped right in." - Jay Wells

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"I got a lot of grief from my teammates about that. It might backfire on my mom. Hopefully, my brother will have another chance somewhere down the road." -Scott Niedermayer

"I faked it a bit on that penalty before my goal. I did feel the stick of Dan Boyle on my neck. I touched my neck, I looked up. I saw the referee was watching me. The referee looked at me again and he went for it." -Jan Bulis

"I don't want to talk about today's market anymore because nobody can make sense of what the market is. It's all over the map. There's a bunch of lunatics out there throwing money away. I'm sick and tired of it. It's lunacy. Punch me in the head and tell me I'm stupid, but that's the way I feel. There's no sense to it anymore." -Kevin Lowe.

"I don't think you ever stopped Bobby Orr, you contained Bobby Orr, but you NEVER stopped him!" -Larry Robinson

"I don't order fries with my club sandwich." -Mario Lemieux

"I don't like my hockey sticks touching other sticks, and I don't like them crossing one another, and I kind of have them hidden in the corner. I put baby powder on the ends. I think it's essentially a matter of taking care of what takes care of you." - Wayne Gretzky

"I don't like hockey. I'm just good at it." - Brett Hull

"I don't know if I would have the dedication, the endurance, the will to do what he's done." -Tom Plasko

"I don’t know if Anna (Kournikova) told him to get tougher or what." -Mike Modano

"I can't wait to find out if some of these guys can operate in a system where you can't just go out and spend what you want to spend. I can't wait for that day when it comes down to who can do their job." -Brian Burke.

"Guys like him ruin it for everybody else. It's just embarrassing. Or maybe he's not embarrassed because he probably believes he's not doing it-that's how liars are." -Chris Chelios

"Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you." - Jacques Plante

"Goaltenders are 3 sandwiches shy of a picnic. From the moment primitive man lurched erect, he survived on the principle that when something hard and potentially lethal comes toward you at great velocity, get the hell out of it's path." - Jim Taylor

"Give Blood, Play Hockey!" -?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get used to this phrase: how could both referees have missed that?" - Mike Brophy

"Forget about talent; worry about results." -Bobby Orr

"If you've only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It'll seem like forever." - ?

"If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat." - Herschel Walker

"If you jump out of a plane without a parachute, does that make you brave? No, I think that makes you stupid. I will never play without the mask again." -Jacques Plante

"If I play badly I'll pick a fight in the third, just to get into a fight. I'll break a guy's leg to win, I don't care. Afterward I say, 'Yeah all right I played badly, but I won the fight so who gives a damn." - Derek Sanderson

"If I had to pick three players to start a franchise, I'd choose Hasek, Peter Forsberg and Eric Lindros." -Wayne Gretzky

"If I get run into again, I'm taking someone with me. I lost one knee. I'll take a head if it happens again." - Grant Fuhr

"If I can be half the hockey player that Bobby Orr was, I'll be happy." -Ray Bourque

"If hockey fights were fixed, I'd be in more of them." - Rod Gilbert

"If anybody slams me against the boards, I'm going to pee all over myself." -Slapshot

"I'd rather fight than score." - Dave Schultz

"I'd drink more." - Bobby Hull

"I'd be lying to you if I said guys weren't afraid of him. I'm afraid of him, afraid of him running in to me." - Paul Laus

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept." - Doug Larson

I’m not planning a career change - not unless they need someone who constantly falls on the ice and is out of breath all the time." -Scott Wolf

"I’m happy to be back. It was never my aspiration as a kid to play in the Federal League." -Glenn Healy

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"I wouldn't ever go into a season trying to re-build from scratch. You can't trade good players for high picks because the world ends at the end of each season. Live with the idea that the world is flat and you're coming to the edge." - Neil Smith

"I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out." -Rodney Dangerfield

"I was three-quarters down the list of guys I would be facing in my first game when I realized I was looking at our own roster." -Glenn Healy

"I was surprised by how easy it came out. It was one of those tear-away tongues. Kevin Lowe said I should have tucked it into the breast pocket of my jacket. Like an ascot." -Craig MacTavish

"I was not very moody. I just do my job and answer questions. I think they never took the chance to get to know me. They say I didn't show up some nights, but how can you say every athlete plays the same all the time? It's not up to me. For the month of January, I didn't play [as many minutes of] hockey at all, until I spoke out, not to the coaches but to the papers. Afterward, they said I was moody. I said, `What can you do on the bench?' Should I be happy on the bench? Sometimes you have to explain things." -Sergei Fedorov

"I was happy to have an attraction in our building that we didn't have to pay for." - Harold Ballard

"I was coaching in Omaha in 1948 and Eddie Shore sends me this guy who was a terrible mas***bator. He would get deliberate penalties so he could get over in the penalty box all by himself and damned if he wouldn't . . ." –Slapshot

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie." - Brett Hull

"I'm not a psychologist. That's Mike's area. It's not under my control." -Mike Peca

"I'm listening to the f***ing song." -Slapshot

"I'm hoping for a bench clearing brawl during the warm up so I can go out and grab his stick." - Ron Tugnutt

"I'm going through the neutral zone and I've got a guy tugging me through the whole way, if I don't go down, I'm not going to get a call." -Paul Kariya.

"I'm a person like everybody else. When it comes to decision making, I have to take the emotion out of it. But I don't want to see a great athlete and one of the best in the world not able to play. He's got four kids, I've got four kids. I see those sides the fans don't see. It's a tough business. Sometimes, it's a tough business." -Ken Holland

"Surreal is an understatement." -Steve Thomas

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Street hockey is great for kids. It's energetic, competitive, and skilful. And best of all it keeps them off the street." -?

"Sources also confirm that there is no one left in Canada who can remember when hockey was a simple game, played for fun." -Roy MacGregor

"Sometimes you think they must have come out of the chimp cages at the Bronx zoo." - Gerry Cheevers

"Sometimes when I make a good save, I yell out, 'Woo-Hooo!' I'm not sure why, but it just feels good. I don't think I scare anyone or freak anyone out when I do it. I just like to holler when I make a tough stop." -Marc-Andre Fleury.

"Some guys play hockey. Gretzky plays 40 mph chess." - Lowell Cohn

"Some days, the sun even shines on a dog’s butt." -Wade Redden

So the difference is really only one save per game. Where do you find this one extra save? It's a lot of little, little things, but when you put a lot of little things together, it adds up to making the guy better." -François Allaire

"Since the beginning, I always loved the game. When you grow up in Montreal, one day you want to be a professional hockey player. When I was six or seven, I knew that was what I wanted." -Mario Lemieux

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable." -Conn Smythe

"Playing goal is like being shot at." - Jacques Plante

"People talk about skating, puck handling and shooting, but the whole sport is angles and caroms, forgetting the straight direction the puck is going, calculating where it will be directed, factoring in all the interruptions. Basically, my whole game is angles." - Wayne Gretzky

"People didn't know the difference between a blue line and a clothes line." -Al Michaels

"People ask, 'Why don't more minorities play hockey?' Well, what are you going to play for? Are you going to play just to get substandard treatment or be treated foolishly or unfairly?" -Kevin Weekes

"Part of the learning curve in Edmonton is learning to hate Calgary." -Steve Smith

"Our system of forechecking is to shoot the puck and leave it there." - Harry Neale

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Our first priority was staying alive. Our second was stopping the puck. - Glenn Hall

"Orr is the greatest young hockey player that's come along since I've been here. -Bobby Hull

"Or as hockey player Sergei Fedorov knows it, 'The day I can legally start telling everyone I am sleeping with Anna Kournikova." -Craig Kilborn

"One was on the ice and we put that one back in. Another was up my nose and they had to pull it down." -Sami Kapanen

"One thing I hate is people screaming at me. If you want me to do something, talk to me. When someone screams at me to hurry up, I slow down." -Mario Lemieux

"One road trip we were stuck on the runway for seven hours. The plane kept driving and driving until we arrived at the rink and I realized we were on a bus." -Glenn Healy

"On sheer ability, Mario is good enough to win scoring titles with a broken stick. On pure talent, he's the best there is. But Wayne almost never disappoints you. He comes to work every night." -Bobby Orr

"Not even in Canada have I seen anything like this. And their coach is going to be the next national team coach. If this is the future of ice hockey, I advise everyone to stop playing." -Alpo Suhonen

"Nobody sleeps like Mario. He lives for sleep. He hits the bed and that's it. It irritates the hell out of me." -Terry Ruskowski

"My goal was to play in the NHL, because that is the best hockey in the world." -Jaromir Jagr

"My former wife made me a millionaire. I used to have three million dollars." - Bobby Hull

Most people have friends, but no money. I have the opposite. I don't have a chance to talk to my real friends, the ones I've had since I was five years old. Sometimes I wish I could bring Czechoslovakia to America. Then I would be the happiest guy in the world." -Jaromir Jagr

"Mario Lemieux is Mr. Pittsburgh." -Andy Van Slyke

"Last season we couldn't win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure was that I couldn't think of any place else to play." - Harry Neale

"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"I've told you guys before, goalies don't think. - Chris Osgood

"I've been to the Boston Garden, Montreal Forum and the Spectrum in Philadelphia and this one is unreal. It's fascinating. I watched Boston Garden, old arenas and this is the best. It's outdoors, there's 60,000 people. It's nice to see hockey where it came from, outdoors. I've never experienced anything like this before. We're a little cold. Don't care. The adrenaline is just going on, this is better than Ski-Dooing or ice fishing." -Rob Biddlecombe

"I've been gifted. The world is full of people who not only haven't been gifted, but have had some thing taken away from them. All I have to do is see one of them, some little girl who can't walk, and then I don't think I'm such a hero anymore. I think that compared to them, I'm a very small article." -Bobby Orr

"I've always felt we weren't physical enough on the back line. Now there's a no-parking sign in front of our net." - Dean Lombardi

"It's too easy when you're not winning to look for excuses and point at others for reasons. You can say 'Oh well, it's this guys fault or they don't do this well' or you can say 'I've got to play better and contribute more'. You've got to find another gear and come up with big games." - Sean Burke

"It's not who wins the fight that's important, it's being willing to fight. If you get challenged and renege, everyone wants to take a shot at you." -Barclay Plager

"It's not necessarily the amount of time you spend at practice that counts; it's what you put into the practice." - Eric Lindros

"It's not my fault (Snow) didn't have any other options coming out of high school. If going to college gets you a career backup goaltender job, and my route gets you a thousand points and a thousand games, and compare the two contracts, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whose decision was better." -Jeremey Roenick

"It's going to be good to be on his side for a change. I'll save a lot of energy since I don't have to concentrate on whacking him. I'm pretty excited about that." - Doug Gilmour

"It’s beyond money at this point. They’re not even treating him as a member of their family, unless it’s a dysfunctional family." -Kurt Overhardt

"It would have been worse if we hadn't blocked the kick after Toronto's second touchdown." - Alex Delvecchio

"It takes brains. It's not like a forward, where you can get away with scoring and not play defense. On defense you have to be thinking." - Chris Chelios

"It must be the body. It’s chiseled out of marshmallows." -Tony Amonte

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"It had been a great career. I mean, how many guys can say they averaged two points a game in their careers? It's too bad he's retiring too soon. The league is going to miss him. The fans are going to miss him. A real classy person and a great guy." -John Bucyk

"It felt like a golf swing and my head was on the tee." -Tyler Wright

"In professional sports now, if you can't control your expenses, you're in trouble. If you put a gun to my head, I wouldn't buy any team, including the one I own. And we're in better shape than most, because we don't carry any debt." -Bill Wirtz
"I'm not sure Mario is going to get accolafes he deserves, especially from outside the game. But from within, the players, the people who follow closely, realize exactly what he's broughtto the table, exactly what he has done. People tend to forget...hockey was dying in Pittsburgh before he got there. I played there. It was almost dead. I'm sorry, but the NHL would not have a franchise in Pittsburgh today had Mario not come along. Think about it, no hockey in Pittsburgh." -Wayne Gretzky

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote of the week from the Hockey News:

"I'd bet all the money I have . Im not stupid!"

Jagr, pleading innocence after being busted for an illegal stick twice against atlanta March the eighth! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts