Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Sarnia Residents Woken By Blast As Imperial Oil Plant Erupts Into Flames
Thursday December 14, 2006

Thousands of Sarnia, Ont. residents were shaken from their sleep by the sound of a huge explosion early Thursday.

The 3am blast came from the Imperial Oil refinery and precipitated a major fire at the plant. Firefighters rushed to the scene and have since brought the inferno under control. At its height flames were shooting 200 feet into the air.

Area residents called the local radio station CHOK to say that they'd heard a "loud and prolonged" blast before the fire broke out. Mayor Mike Bradley was among them.

"Well, I live very close to the plant. I heard the explosion. I heard the noise and went to my apartment balcony and saw the fire and left immediately for the Sarnia police service," he said. "The 911 lines were clogged because citizens across the community for many kilometres could hear the noise and wanted to know what was going on."

Fortunately no one was injured and all the facility's workers have been accounted for. The cause isn't known yet.

Sarnia police Const. Bill Baines said no evacuations were required. Residents had been asked to stay inside and keep windows and doors closed as experts conducted air quality checks. But that advisory has been lifted as it appears there's no danger to the public.

About 1,030 employees work at the plant, which produces 119,000 barrels of crude oil a day. It also makes unleaded gasoline, jet fuel, stove oil, diesel and other petroleum-based products.

CityNews: Sarnia Residents Woken By Blast As Imperial Oil Plant Erupts Into Flames

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Wow lucky me I woke up at about 2:55 to go to the washroom, and just got back in bed for about a minute and all i heard was this incredibaly loud sound. I ran to see if my parent awake and sure enough they were like what the hell was that. Anways The Imperial Oil plant, one of the tanks had a crack and leak apparently and just created a massive explosions and shook the ground and everything. Luckily no one was hurt but you could feel a rumble and i live a pretty long way from the Refinerys. Faulkerner probaly lives closer Ill bet you he heard the worst of it.

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Faulkner did it wake you up. I live down by lakeshore and i even heard it. Thats got to be a couple miles at least. about 10-12 KM at least

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Damn, I've heard lots about Sarina ... but this is crazy.

Was anyone injured? Is there going to be a negative enviromental impact?

Also, Canuck you need to throw a link in the first post.

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First explosion ive ever heard coming from the plants. But no one was injured because the control room is bomb proof and blast proof. But yeah it shook the city and even Port huron which is on the American side right over the border and from Miles away.

shookem said:
Damn, I've heard lots about Sarina ... but this is crazy.

Was anyone injured? Is there going to be a negative enviromental impact?

Also, Canuck you need to throw a link in the first post.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
My first thought would have been, it's an earth quake!!

I'm happy to hear, no one was injured!! :thumbsup:

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the blast was so loud you knew it had to have been something else, but if i didnt hear the explosion i would have though it was a quake too.

panoo said:
My first thought would have been, it's an earth quake!!

I'm happy to hear, no one was injured!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
712 Posts
man, it was nuts i thought someone was attacking us (since we were 3rd on Osama's bomb list (no joke) chemical valley is number 3) and yes it scared the shit outta me, i live pretty much down the road from the plants. I love near automax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts