Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric Staal busted into the NHL with only his parents knowing his name... but now he is a poster boy for the "New NHL". I recently watched him play in the 2006 Playoffs and to my disappointment I watched an overated player scoring terrrible goals. For example digging at a covered puck only to score a goal. Is it just me or does Eric Staal seem way to over rated?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Aboard habs11s!!!

Considering that this was his first Stanley Cup Playoffs, I think he was just very nervous, they put a lot on his shoulders!!

I think if you watched him on a regular basis, you would see what the hype is all about!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of Carolina.....as my name suggests, I'm a Sens fan. With that said...

He's not over rated in the slightest....what you saw in the playoffs was a lack of experience and a worn down kid. Cause that's what he is in the NHL....a kid.....His body hasn't caught up to the level of play that is required for a full season and a long Cup run. He had never played more than 85 or so games in a season (including playoffs) prior to this year. You will see his play and skill improve over the next few years as he and his body matures and becomes better conditioned for the NHL.

Besides good players find a way to put the puck in the net at key times.....regardless of how lucky or ugly the goal may appear.......also some of those goals were from being in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You Guys He Has Alot Of Talent And He Is Really Good I Rate Him 11/10 Cauz This Was The Guy Car Depended On.... For Offence With Brindamour! He Scored 100 Points In His Career High Points And It Is His Second Season!!!! He Was Also Selected For Olympics..... Anywayz He Is Way Better Player!!!!:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Overrated?

He led the NHL in points in the playoffs

He earned over 100 points during his rookie year

only someone who would pick Sean Burke over Cam Ward would think Eric Staal is overrated. If anything the guy is UNDERrated.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Whiskey Sam said:
Overrated?

He led the NHL in points in the playoffs

He earned over 100 points during his rookie year

only someone who would pick Sean Burke over Cam Ward would think Eric Staal is overrated. If anything the guy is UNDERrated.
I agree!:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not to nit pick or anything but Staal didn't get 100 points in his rookie year.....he got 31points (he played 81 games with Carolina during the 03-04 season). That being said he is still a phenominal talent and is NOT over rated. What i think will be interesting in carolina is the goaltending this year and whether or not Ward can handle to load of a full NHL season plus the playoffs. Personally I hope he does well.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
No, I don't think he's overated.

He's a big guy who skates very ell for his size. It helped that he had veterans like Stillman and Brind'Amour on the team and with him all the way, and I already predicted a breakout season for him... just no where near that good of a season. Close to PPG pace was what I was thinking, but he went far beyond that, and didn't slow down in the season when everyone thought he would.

It also helps that he handles and passes the puck well, so he can dish it off when guys close in on him, rather than have to try and bull-doze over them with his size (which he can and has done once every while of course). He doesn't only need to depend on his size because he's very skilled.

Staal is a very solid all-around player, who's only going to get better IMO.

Definitely the Real Deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well...

I don't think he is overrated, but just an awesome hockey player with a sparkling future! He has all the tools.

GO HABS GO!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Eric might not be overrated but I believe the last name Staal might end up that way. The media hardly let the younger ones get drafted before proclaiming them to be the best hockey family since the Sutters.

As for Eric's near invisibility towards the end of the playoffs I believe that had more to do with teams adjusting their entire defensive scheme to stop his line than Eric no longer being able to get the job done. You don't get 100 points and then suddenly lose the ability to put the puck in the net.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you serious. Maybe I should start a 'Is Joe Thornton Overrated?' thread. Staal is the real deal. He won a cup. He had 100 points. Give it up buddy.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Rids said:
Eric might not be overrated but I believe the last name Staal might end up that way. The media hardly let the younger ones get drafted before proclaiming them to be the best hockey family since the Sutters.
I agree, I think they should let some of these guys play for a few years before putting labels on them!! That's were a lot of the problems start, egos get to big, then they expect the world at their feet!!

Alexander Daigle is a prime example, all the hype that surrounded him, he was ruined before his career was even started!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
pucker said:
Are you serious. Maybe I should start a 'Is Joe Thornton Overrated?' thread. Staal is the real deal. He won a cup. He had 100 points. Give it up buddy.
LOL, well said. Remember guys, for the last 22 regular season games and the playoffs (minus the last two games) Erik Cole was hurt and Staal's wingers were being shuffled around, so the chemistry wasnt there sometimes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts