Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
11/20/2006 10:47:03 PM

OTTAWA (CP) - Andrej Meszaros and Chris Kelly scored in a 68-second span early in the first period Monday night and Ray Emery stopped a career-high 42 shots to help the Ottawa Senators beat the slumping Minnesota Wild 5-3.

Chris Neil and Peter Schaefer, both on the power play, and Daniel Alfredsson also had goals as the Senators (9-11-1) scored three times in the opening 20 minutes and before a crowd of 18,094 at Scotiabank Place went on to record their third victory in four games.

Twelve different players registered a point for Ottawa, which has now put together a win streak for just the second time in the season. The Senators won three straight games from Oct. 21-26.

Meanwhile, it was the fourth loss in the past five outings for the Wild (12-7-1), which has only two wins in its past eight contests and three victories in 10.

Pascal Dupuis had a power-play goal, Brian Rolston scored on a penalty shot and Mikko Koivu added a shorthanded goal for Minnesota, which received 28 saves from Manny Fernandez.

Wild defenceman Petteri Nummelin left the game with an apparent upper-body injury after he took a hit from Neil late in the first period and didn't return. His status was not immediately known.

The Senators were boosted by the return of star defenceman Wade Redden, who was back in the lineup after missing eight of their past 11 games while trying to recover from a strained groin.

Ottawa got off to a quick start and Fernandez was forced into action early on, stopping Dany Heatley on a breakaway in the game's opening minutes _ one of 17 shots by the Senators in the first period.

Meszaros snuck a shot from the point through traffic to make it 1-0 just past the five-minute mark and Kelly scored at 6:12 on another breakaway attempt to double the lead.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good to see the thing going for the Sens.

I've got a few comments. First of all the Fisher penalty shot should't have been a penalty shot at all. Fisher didn't cover it up with his hands only with his body. When Spezza makes those blend passes work the realy do look good!:D

BOXSCORE:

1st Period
Ottawa: 05:04 ANDREJ MESZAROS, Assists: MIKE FISHER and PATRICK EAVES
Ottawa: 06:12 CHRIS KELLY, Assists: DANY HEATLEY and JASON SPEZZA
Ottawa: 14:06 PPG - CHRIS NEIL, Assists: PETER SCHAEFER and TOM PREISSING
2nd Period
Ottawa: 07:56 DANIEL ALFREDSSON, Assists: ANTOINE VERMETTE and CHRIS PHILLIPS
Minnesota: 09:08 PPG - PASCAL DUPUIS, Assists: TODD WHITE and KIM JOHNSSON
3rd Period
Minnesota:10:46 BRIAN ROLSTON, Assists: none
Ottawa: 18:31 PPG - PETER SCHAEFER, Assists: TOM PREISSING and MIKE FISHER
Minnesota:19:47 SHG - MIKKO KOIVU, Assists: STEPHANE VEILLEUX and KEITH CARNEY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it should have been a penalty shot either!! Looking at the replay's, he put his hand toward the puck, but never put it on the puck.

Luckily, they were able to pull off the win!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Emery was huge in net for them. I'm not sure if Gerber will get the starting job back now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Emery was huge in net for them. I'm not sure if Gerber will get the starting job back now.
He won't *get* it back, but may be able to earn it back.
I think Murray should play it smart, and stick to his hot goaltender and ride him until he loses again. Stop playing favorites just because you had Gerber on your team in Anaheim. Ottawa isn't over .500 yet, so you don't want to kill the momentum and confidence Emery is giving them.

*Then* start Gerber, and allow him to earn his playing time then(Alot less pressure when you're over .500).

I have a feeling Gerber will play rock solid in his next game, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts