Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patrik Elias believes the New Jersey Devils will surprise a lot of people this season after losing Scott Gomez and Brian Rafalski to free agency.
With new coach Brent Sutter behind the bench and fresh off leading Junior Team Canada to 7-0-1 record against Russia in the recent super series, Elias' claim might not be that far off. Expect him to elevate his game now that Gomez is gone. With 69 points in 75 games last season, Elias will likely reach the point per game marker for the Devils. Sep. 14 - 1:01 pm et

Source:Patrik Elias : Rotoworld.com - Patrik Elias Biography from Rotoworld.com

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think this is defenitely one of those things they just say to give the fans some confidence. Sundin's been saying there's gonna be a cup in toronto for how many years now? No devils will struggle some this season.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I'm guessing he's aiming that comment towards some in the media who are proclaiming the Devils as being dead without Gomez and Rafalski. But this would be the same media people who have been saying the Devils are done since the lockout.

I don't think the Devils will be quite as good during the regular season as they were last year, but considering they set a franchise high in wins last year, it's kind of unrealistic to expect them to repeat it, especially with the changes they've been through.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay, so now that the Devils have been playing for three games, I will concur that they are surprising. They look amazing, losses and all. Granted, last night in Ottawa, they looked less amazing, but a 9-game road trip with new faces and a new coach, new backup goalie, blah, blah... they still look fantastic and they don't look like they're missing Gomez or Rafalski too much. Rafalski a little.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Well, if Elias is planning on a surprise party, he better decide to show up one of these days. 1 assist and a -4 rating through 3 games isn't very impressive from a guy who wore the "C" last year. Granted, he's no longer playing with Gomez and Gionta regularly, but it shouldn't matter. Elias is supposed to be the offensive leader of this team, and is being outperformed offensively by guys like Madden, Asham, and Greene.

Being as it's only 3 games into the season, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But I've seen too much of the underachieving Patrik Elias the last two seasons, especially considering the contract Lou gave him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts