Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
9/22/2006 3:45:47 PM

(CP) - There are eight new head coaches in the NHL this season and four of them will work in Canada.

Paul Maurice takes over the Toronto Maple Leafs, Guy Carbonneau moves up to the top job with the Montreal Canadiens, Alain Vigneault joins the Vancouver Canucks and Jim Playfair runs the Calgary Flames.

Other newcomers are Ted Nolan, who resurfaced after a nine-year absence to become coach of the New York Islanders, Claude Julien with the New Jersey Devils, Marc Crawford with the Los Angeles Kings and Dave Lewis with the Boston Bruins.

Maurice, still the youngest coach in the NHL at 39, has perhaps the hottest of the hotseats replacing the colourful Pat Quinn.

"This isn't about evading pressure," Maurice said of his new job. "It's about winning.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Maurice looks to be doing a good job so far. He's making the team work like dogs in practice.

It'll be interesting to see how he bodes in the regular season, but he'sdoing fine now.

Ted Nolan as well. Long Island has been a little shakey lately. Hopefully he can keep things level, and show us why he should hav been back in the NHL a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
yeah, Nolan and Maurice both have their work cut out for them but they're also two of the better coaches added this offseason.

I'll be most interested to see what Crawford can do with the Kings. That team looked like it was going somewhere for most of last season but then imploded. Crawford's a good coach, so it should be fun to watch what unfolds in Lala land.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Article about Nolan

Isles coach Nolan relishes return to the NHL after nine years away
PIERRE LEBRUN
September 22, 2006

MONCTON, N.B. (CP) - Ted Nolan knows very well what the hockey world must have been thinking when GM Neil Smith was abruptly fired by the New York Islanders this summer, given what transpired in Buffalo nearly a decade ago.

"It's funny, as soon as that happened my brother called me up and said: 'Well it only took you 40 days to get rid of this GM,"' Nolan said with a laugh Friday. "My friends called too, they were all kidding me, because they know the last situation in Buffalo was fabricated nonsense."

The debacle in Buffalo back in 1997 remains no laughing matter. Wild rumours spread in the wake of John Muckler's firing as GM, most of them centring on Nolan being behind Muckler's demise.
Isles coach Nolan relishes return to the NHL after nine years away - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

1 - 4 of 4 Posts