Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mikael Tellqvist better get used to the starting roll for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

According to the teams' website, general manager John Ferguson said that the team will likely be without the services of Ed Belfour for the rest of the season.

The veteran netminder has been sidelined with a back injury since March 14th. It's the same area of the back where he had surgery on in the past.

Belfour has a 3.29 goals-against average and .892 save percentage in 49 appearances (22-22-4) this season. In 22 games, Tellqvist has a 2.76 goals-against average and .906 save percentage (10-8-2). Jean-Sebastien Aubin is Tellqvist's backup

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=159765&hubname=nhl

--------------------

That's fine with me. As much as I love Ed Belfour and for what all he's done for this sport, I think it's time for him to hang them up. He's had a very mediocre year, letting in 4+ goals per game on numerous occasions.

I feel that Telly has done a great job in proving himself as #1 in the pipes. It will be interesting to see how well he fairs for the rest of the season.

Being that Belfour is about 41 years old, I don't see the Leafs picking up his option next year, which is close to a cool 5 million dollars. Na uh, not going to happen. It's bad enough we have to pay him 1.5 million dollars just to release him from his contract next year. I think that's bullcrap!

Go Telly go!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Too bad to see a good guy go down. Its rough when things dont work out. But Belfour is an older goaltender. But I dont see them picking up his option either. that would be a waste.

410 Posts
It's "Sad But True" as Metallica says. Ed Belfour was doing great this year but his season is done and it's time for retirement. He's too old, and once you get to old you let your team done by getting all sorts of injuries like Belfour. I say bring up Pogge. He is a great goalie. Don't rush him like Toronto did with Wregget but let him practice by letting him play in the AHL for a while then bring him up. Tellqvist isn't the best goalie, neither is Sebastien-Aubin. Pogge I think is a great junior goalie Toronto should consider bringing up from the WHL. He is a reason the Hitmen in the WHL are doing so great. Tellqvist isn't good enough to fulfill duties like Belfour did.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Belfour is just at this stage where his heart is saying keep playing but his body is saying QUIT!!!!

I really dont think most of these athletes really are concerned about letting their team down, i think theyre more worried about their annual earnings :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts