Hockey Fan Forums banner

Who will win?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All talk about this series to go in this thread.

I think the Flyers should handle this series easy enough, but the Sabres have the goaltending to take a couple games. Flyers in 6.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think the Flyers will have a hard time with Buffalo and take it out in 7 games. They will still be a bit shaky from the regular season finish, but will get back on track hopefully.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
This is the one I'm predicting as an upset in the east in the first round. Its not just because I'm a Pens fan and hate the Flyers(although it does sometimes taint my vision sometimes). Its because the Flyers have struggled big time coming down the stretch and the Sabres are playing great. I reserve the right to change my mind if Miller is actually hurt enough to not play most of this series. If Miller is out, I'll take the Flyers in 6.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Flyers look susceptible to an upset, and this series, I think will be just that. Flyers defense/goaltending is suspect, and they really haven't played well over the past month. Not that Buffalo is a juggernault, but I like them here in a 6 game upset. Should be a fun series to watch.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think buffalo can take this series in 6 if they continue what they were doing in the regular season.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Here are some things I'll be looking at closely when this series starts. One, Briere is a huge playoff performer and playing against his former team, who he has played well against since being traded in the regular season, should motivate him that much more. Another thing is Giroux. A player who has been known to take his game to another level come playoffs before, yet he is coming off a break through season this year. I'm excited to see what he does in these playoffs.

And then there is Zherdev, a guy no one will probably think of leading up to this series. If he plays (which I'm hoping he will) it will most likely be with Carter and Giroux. After having a very strange season, being waived, not being claimed, given the chance to play again at the very end and still putting up 16 goals, he should be competing and showing any team that is watching that he can play in the NHL, even when it matters most. A motivated Zherdev could be a very big piece if the Flyers succeed.

This team is too deep to lose to Buffalo, which is why I have them winning this series.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Flyers in 7. I think this is going to be a real tough hard fought series and I think Miller is going to be a big performer in this series. The Flyers have been cold, the Sabres have been hot. But I think that the Flyers are just too powerful to lose this series. They do litterally everything better than the Sabres do, but the Sabres have a large edge in the goaltending department which i think could win some games for them. I think it's a real hard fought series, but I think the Flyers pull it out.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
This Is The Matchup You Wanted, Buffalo?

If I had a dollar for every time over the past few weeks that I heard a Buffalo fan or media type tell me that the Flyers were the team they most wanted the Sabres to face in the first round, I think I’d be able to afford a sizable down payment for Brad Richards.

The excitement level here is off the charts. 85% of the 6000 people that have voted in radio and newspaper web site prediction polls are choosing the Sabres to win. At both the supermarket and the gas station, I overheard giddy fans discussing what a paper tiger Philly is. While enjoying a rare April 70-degree day at the marina, I could’ve sworn I saw a group of seagulls flying in the formation of crossed swords.

Spring feels so much better in Buffalo when there’s playoff hockey, and the fact that the fans got the dancing partner of their choosing has ramped up the hysteria and anticipation a little bit more. For me, all of this enthusiasm from these raised expectations begs just one question.

Am I the only one in this town that thinks the Flyers have a better team?

Fans in 16 different cities have convinced themselves that their team is winning the Cup, so the poll voting results don’t surprise me. What I don’t agree with, however, is the notion that the path of least resistance for the Sabres to skate past the first round goes through Philadelphia.

For me, the Flyers were actually the team in the top four of the East that I least wanted the Sabres to face.
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tso/comments/this_is_the_matchup_you_wanted_buffalo/

Interesting article from a Sabres blogger. I am rather surprised at all the people going with the Sabres as well. We will just have to wait and see! Can't wait for the playoffs to get underway. :beer

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
i obviously got to go with my sabres. Sabres in 7!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
And guys, it's not all Miller leading this team...it's the guys in front of him. Ennis, Gerbe, Boyes, Stafford will be very effective guys for the 1st round. And I think our team is well balanced out. We got great young forwards like Ennis and everything. Defense is awesome with Enroth backing Miller up this year. Myers is picking his game up, and the rest are doing the same. Only if we had Roy still in the line-up we would be in pretty good shape. The final reason is we beat the Flyers many times in the regular season. So this gives me the confidence that we'll pull off the upset.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
And guys, it's not all Miller leading this team...it's the guys in front of him. Ennis, Gerbe, Boyes, Stafford will be very effective guys for the 1st round. And I think our team is well balanced out. We got great young forwards like Ennis and everything. Defense is awesome with Enroth backing Miller up this year. Myers is picking his game up, and the rest are doing the same. Only if we had Roy still in the line-up we would be in pretty good shape. The final reason is we beat the Flyers many times in the regular season. So this gives me the confidence that we'll pull off the upset.
They each have two wins against each other, Flyers have two in regulation and the Sabres have 1 in regulation and the most recent one in overtime so there is no advantage in regular season series. Not that it really means much, but if anything the season series edge goes to the Flyers, with them making it to ot for one of the losses and out scoring the Sabres overall.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
They each have two wins against each other, Flyers have two in regulation and the Sabres have 1 in regulation and the most recent one in overtime so there is no advantage in regular season series. Not that it really means much, but if anything the season series edge goes to the Flyers, with them making it to ot for one of the losses and out scoring the Sabres overall.
Well, I didn't mean it literally but it should be a good series.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts