Hockey Fan Forums banner

Who will win?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All discussion about this series in this thread.

This could be an interesting series. I think Tampa has a good team, but their defense and goaltending is rather suspect. Offense has kept them going all year though, but you often see good offensive teams fall in the playoffs. The Penguins could definitely use Crosby back as a boost. Otherwise their defense has quite a task at hand, because I don't know that they can outscore the Bolts. I'll go Penguins in 5 if Crosby returns early, 7 if he doesn't. I'm not all that up to date on his situation.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Long term playoff prospects may not be good for the Pens this year, but I'll give them the node in this series. Playoff hockey is a lot tighter, and the Pens defense and penalty kill has been outstanding this year. I think they'll take it in six, even without Crosby.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It would be nice for Tampa to win, but the Pens I beleive are just a little too much for them. Should be a great, closely played series, with Pitt winning in 7.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
No shootout in the playoffs. Unless I counted wrong, in the Pens last 15 wins, 8 of them have come from shootout.
But the Penguins dominated in overtime, it's just that nobody can find the net (Letang >.>).

Alas, I must say that the Penguins will win in 7. With the way Crosby has been practicing recently, I doubt he will play in the Eastern quarters; however, I do suspect he will be cleared for full contact practice starting Monday or Tuesday, depending on when the series starts.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
But the Penguins dominated in overtime, it's just that nobody can find the net (Letang >.>).

Alas, I must say that the Penguins will win in 7. With the way Crosby has been practicing recently, I doubt he will play in the Eastern quarters; however, I do suspect he will be cleared for full contact practice starting Monday or Tuesday, depending on when the series starts.
I thought it was pretty clear that the Penguins played a laid back defensive style and that wouldn't change come ot, especially with their shootout success. Just the number of times they have made the shootout show me that they certainly didn't mind playing in them, maybe even playing for them.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
This is the series I'm most looking froward to. pen's have been playing terrific without Crosby or Malkin. They give team's a very hard time and find ways to win. I'll give Pen's the jump in this series. Pen's in 7. Lightning will be very tough though.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The Penguins are playing great playoff hockey right now. They're getting sticks in lanes, clogging the neutral zone, getting depth scoring, and being backstopped by great goaltending. Penguins in 5, even though the Lightning were definitely a team I didn't want to face at all, let alone the first round.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I'll go Lightning in 7. Without Malkin for sure, and possibly without Crosby for the whole series I think the Lightning pull it out. I think in this series they win strictly based on fire power, I could see some very high scoring games in this series.

And not to say it's a huge part to the team, but Cooke is still an effective player when he has his head on straight, so that's 3 key players for the Pens. No Malkin, No Cooke till game 5, and who knows with Sid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Playoff Predictions?

As we all know, the pens start there playoff push against the lightning tonight at 7! what are some of your predictions for this round of playoffs???

my prediction is the pens in 6!

lets hope for a great series! lets go pens! :beer

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Was a great physical game one for both teams. If it goes like this for seven games they're going to use up alot of ice packs. Whoever picked the Bolts in 4, "You are the weakest link, goodbye".

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
And not to say it's a huge part to the team, but Cooke is still an effective player when he has his head on straight, so that's 3 key players for the Pens. No Malkin, No Cooke till game 5, and who knows with Sid.
No Crosby + No Malkin + No Cooke until Game 5 = Bolts in 6.
Where's the Cooke being out until Game 5 stuff coming from? Given the language used in the NHL press release about it, he's suspended for the entire first round, not just the first four games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556768

Cooke will miss Pittsburgh's remaining 10 regular-season games and be ineligible for the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
VICE,
Thanks for correcting my error about Cooke's suspension, which is for the entire first round of the playoffs. I must have read it wrong or from an erroneous source. Good catch.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts