Hockey Fan Forums banner

ECF - Devils vs Rangers

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  HockeyMatty85 
#1 ·
Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war...

#4 ·
The funny thing about this series is that the teams are reversed from what they've been in the past. In previous years it was the Devils who played conservatively and tried to win low scoring games. This time it's the Rangers who are conservative and the Devils who are the more aggressive team.

One thing I do think the Devils have going for them, they didn't have to go a full 7 games in both of their series like the Rangers did. I know the Rangers fans like to brag about how well conditioned their team is, but eventually it's going to start catching up with them. Which is why I think it's important for the Devils to get their forecheck going early. Keep the pressure on them, lay the body on their defense whenever possible, and make them actually try to score. There were times in the Rangers/Caps series where I was fairly convinced neither team wanted to score. It was all shot blocking and collapsing around the goalie.

The biggest thing I worry about as a Devils fan is Lundqvist. The guy always plays his best against the Devils, and with the five other goalies in front of him, he won't be easy to beat. They need to elevate their shots when they get them. Lundqvist is more than capable of stealing games, so the Devils can't afford to miss on their chances.

This series really could go either way.

Devils in 7.

#7 ·
Too many mistakes by the Devils in this game, and against a team like the Rangers it's going to kill you almost every time. I thought they played a really solid game through the first two periods, but they did not play well at all in the third.

It's only one game in what I think will be a long series. If the Devils can not get frustrated by the Rangers six goalies and keep up the pressure, I think they'll be okay. It would also be nice if their PP could figure out what the hell it's doing. Just once I would love for the Devils PP to score when they need it.

#12 ·
Actually you are right, MadDevil, I do need to chill out. Calling for a sweep is kinda silly after only one game played. The Devils really are a tough team. I still can't believe we beat the Caps. That triple overtime game was like getting away with murder. They had so many chances to put that game away. The Devils showed a lot of intensity and a lot of heart last night through their forechecking alone. Both teams started off fast and in your face. Although Lundqvist stole the goaltending show I still can't believe Marty Brodeur robbing staal on that open net! Ill play it safe and go back to my Rangers in six perdiction. Either way this should be a great series.

#15 ·
And we have ourselves a series. Much more consistent effort from the Devils tonight. If they can keep up the pressure on the Rangers defense, I think they're going to start to wear them down. Brodeur made a couple of really big saves in this game and with the exception of the unlucky bounce on the Rangers first goal looked like vintage Brodeur. Lundqvist was good at the other end as well. Only one of the goals tonight was off a clean shot and that was Kovalchuk's snipe job, which not many goalies are going to stop. Feel pretty good about the Devils chances headed back to New Jersey on Saturday.

By the way, Tortorella's act in his post game press conferences is getting rather old. I get that he's frustrated because his team lost, but suck it up and act like a professional. He just comes off as an ******* the way he's acting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.